Leadership Loop with Rank

36-tex

I have seen leadership loops (plain green loops) and I have seen them used with a map and words "KOREA" on them. I found this in a .50 cent box. Leadership loop with sgt rank sewn in it.

post-98-1300566824.jpg

post-98-1300566831.jpg

El Bibliotecario

Things change, but during my service green tabs were always worn as backing to the unit crest. The business of the map and the word 'Korea' smacks of something Pvt Tentpeg bought from Mr. Kim down in the vil.

Weren't these worn on the front of the Gortex rain jacket we got in the '90s? There was a tab along the zipper line where you put your rank. They started out as being pinned, then to a sewn version that slipped over the tab - and people in leadership slots wore the green tab version.

Those blue slip-ons with Korea maps were worn during the Korean War by soldiers on leave from the war zone to Japan. They were not intended to be leadership indicators. I have to find them again, but I have found images of soldiers in Japan wearing them and a leave center booklet from that time that explains what these are and who is to wear them.

here is a clip from AR 670-1 that explains

28–21. Leaders identification insignia: The LI insignia is a green cloth loop, 15⁄8 inches wide, worn in the middle of both shoulder loops on the Army

green coat, the cold-weather coat (field jacket) and on the center tab of the extended cold-weather clothing system

(ECWCS) (Gortex) parka. When the LI is worn on the parka, personnel wear their grade insignia centered on the LI.

Personnel may wear pin-on grade insignia, or they may sew onto the LI the same cloth grade insignia that is worn on

the collars of the utility uniform (see fig 28–137).

these tabs are available in all grade at clothing Sales stores.