Strange Air Force Collar Rank

shrapneldude

shrapneldude

Strange to me anyhow. Anyone here ever seen this style chevron before? USAF, subdued metal collar chevrons.

They're hallmarked to International Insignia Corp. Beyond that, not sure what they are and who wore them.

post-1424-1300503365.jpg

post-1424-1300503370.jpg

Exactly. These came out in the 1990s and got scrapped because they created a FOD hazard and caught on everything.

-Ski

In case someone was wondering, FOD = Foreign Object Damage. Little pieces of "stuff" (tools, engine parts, garbage, insigia, etc.) out on the flight line tend to get ingested by airplane engines thereby causing a lot of damage. Sometimes units will schedule FOD Walks where personnel spread out and walk across the ramps picking up FOD.

Pete

Never seen any of those before.... so GOTTA HAVE 'EM! :w00t: Yet another batch of insignia that needs to be added to the collection. Thanks for showing these. :thumbsup:

In case someone was wondering, FOD = Foreign Object Damage. Little pieces of "stuff" (tools, engine parts, garbage, insigia, etc.) out on the flight line tend to get ingested by airplane engines thereby causing a lot of damage. Sometimes units will schedule FOD Walks where personnel spread out and walk across the ramps picking up FOD.

Pete

We "laypeople" thank you!! ;)

shrapneldude
Never seen any of those before.... so GOTTA HAVE 'EM! :w00t: Yet another batch of insignia that needs to be added to the collection. Thanks for showing these. :thumbsup:

I'll grab a few more sets. :thumbsup:

Thank you all for the info!

How long were these used for before they were scrapped entirely? Months? Years?

I'll grab a few more sets. :thumbsup:

Thank you all for the info!

How long were these used for before they were scrapped entirely? Months? Years?

If I recall, they were around for a couple years towards the end of the 1990's, so they aren't like prototype rare or anything like that. I think I got mine floating around here somewhere. They were replaced by slip-ons.

-Ski

• 2 years later...
djfryar1990

Good Day sir,

I was looking thru the internet and i noticed your caption. I know its a couple of years old, so I'm taking a chance. I am putting together a shadow box for an AF member who is retiring and one of his requests was to possibly obtain the Metal BDU Rank. I was wondering if you still had the A1C (E-3) and maybe TSgt (E-6)? Do you know where I could get possibly them?

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

v/r

D. J. Fryar

I was wondering if you still had the A1C (E-3) and maybe TSgt (E-6)? Do you know where I could get possibly them?

Dan (Shrapneldude) tends to sell anything that is not Marine Corps. :D He has probably sold these but you may get lucky.

If I were you, I would post a thread in the "wanted" section on the forum. You might get a note from someone who has an extra set.

...Kat

firefighter

The rank is Master Sergeant with the 1st Sgt diamond.The Army & Marine Corps have one specific rank for 1st SGT.In the AF you could be a Msgt, SrMsgt, or Chief MSgt.(E7-E9) and be a 1st Sgt.

bluemesa159

I *might* still have a TSgt laying around. How quickly do you need it?

Pete

Good Day sir,

I was looking thru the internet and i noticed your caption. I know its a couple of years old, so I'm taking a chance. I am putting together a shadow box for an AF member who is retiring and one of his requests was to possibly obtain the Metal BDU Rank. I was wondering if you still had the A1C (E-3) and maybe TSgt (E-6)? Do you know where I could get possibly them?

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

v/r

D. J. Fryar

djfryar1990

Good Morning,

I would need E3/E6 version by 16 Aug 13. Let me know what you need from me.

Thank you so much!!!

djfryar1990

I *might* still have a TSgt laying around. How quickly do you need it?

Pete

Good Morning,

I would need E3/E6 version by 16 Aug 13. Let me know what you need from me.

Thank you so much!!!