What is your dream uniform?

egreis

blitzkrieg gsd

How about since were wishing Gen Patton uniform that they modeled the uniform George Scott worn in the opening scene of the movie Patton. You know the one were hes standing in front of the flag he looks like he has every award ever issued on plus some i never seen. Heck i would just like to know what most of them are!!!

Guest Hellcat053
How about since were wishing Gen Patton uniform that they modeled the uniform George Scott worn in the opening scene of the movie Patton. You know the one were hes standing in front of the flag he looks like he has every award ever issued on plus some i never seen. Heck i would just like to know what most of them are!!!

Here you go: http://www.pattonhq.com/medals.html

Croix de Guerre

Hmmm, this is a toughie,,,

Right now I'd say the RFC "Maternity" jacket of my pilot Tommy Thomson would just about do it! :thumbsup:

But if we are gonna dream then heck;;;,,How about Stonewall Jackson's pre-war blue officer uniform he wore at 1st Manassas?,,,,Or one of A.P. Hill's red shirts would be pretty cool. My great-great grandfather's uniform he wore with the 42nd Virginia at Gettysburg AND A.Piatt Andrew's American Ambulance in Paris 1914 era uniforms would be nice! :blink::lol:

It is kind of interesting to me that as I read through these "holy grail" uniforms, that I have had the honor of owning many of these. No. nothing like "Joshua Chamberlain's pajamas or great grandpa's battle worn skivie shorts, but rather uniforms like a one piece camo coverall (mint), high ranking 76th Division uniform, attributed 442nd Ike jacket, TD Ike jacket, Normandy worn jump jacket, attributed Normandy vet's Ike jacket (multiples from the 82nd and 101st) etc. I'm not posting here to crow about all of the cool stuff that I've owned, but rather, I am posting to encourage other collectors to not be afraid to dream and more importantly, to FOCUS on the pieces that you think are going to make you happy.

Over three decades ago, an older and far more experienced collector friend (mentor) gave me some sage advice. That advice was to write a list of items that you would love to have in yur collection. Keep the list with you as you go to shows or hunt the auctions or sales lists on line. Unless you are Bill Gates, you're never going to have enough money to buy everything that you want to own, so you need to plan your purchases so that you can save your money to buy the things that you truly want to buy. Recently, I had the opportunity to look at one of my posts from the past that listed "the five patches you want to add to your collection the most." I put together my list and posted like many others. Interestingly enough, I managed to have acquired three of those patches in the last three or four years. Two of those patches came to me a week apart from each other. Today, I have three patches on that list that have replaced the three that I acquired.

My point here is "don't be afraid to dream" about the pieces you want to see in your collection. Those pieces may not be from the exact individual whose uniform you wantt to own, but a representative uniform could be just around the corner.. Yes, it might be a lot harder to find some of those uniforms today than it was 20 years ago, but it is actually easier to find militaria with advantages like the internet, auctions like eBay and collectors' sites like the USMF.

Good Hunting!

Allan

I never really had a "dream uniform" per se as I don't really consider myself a collector (this forum is really ruining that claim along with my cash flow :crying: ). The extent of my collection consisted of various pieces of select family members' personal uniforms/decorations as well as liberated bring-back items. I also still have ALL of my uniforms and uniform Items that were in my possession when I separated from the navy more than 16 years ago.

When I was thinking about joining the Navy, I had several conversations with my maternal grandfather as he waxed nostalgic about his WWII service in the Pacific. He showed me his blues and I recalled the various elements of the stitching and design. He passed while I was in my post-boot camp school and was unable to see me in my own dress blues.

A few years ago, we were moving his widow (my grandmother) into an assisted living facility when she gave me his blue jumper uniform complete with his SC1/c crow and the red/gold amphib shoulder patch, his medals (NGC, WWII Vic), ribbon bar (large ribbons - GC, AD, etc.) his separation documents, training documents and certificates, and an unsewn gold on black ruptured duck patch.

I recalled the tailored set of blues that my grandfather had shown me (in the early '80s) and always wondered what happened to them.

One of my current projects is to clean out my closet - removing all the clothes that no longer fit me (I've lost a lot of weight during the last 12 months...over 160lbs to date). I need to free up some space for my recent wardrobe purchases as well as the aforementioned uniforms and those that I've acquired from folks on this board.

As I was removing the huge shirts and trousers, bagging them as I proceeded, I discovered, tucked behind several obsolete clothing articles, an opaque-dry cleaning bagged item. I pulled it out and immediately saw a set of blues with a strange gold/blue seam (they were folded properly, turned inside out). As I pulled away the plastic, I saw the script-stitching with my grandfather's name sewn into the fabric. I felt the lighter weight material and observed the tailored appearance. These were the illusive blues that I had, for years, wondered what became of them. I have absolutely no recollection of ever receiving them. We've lived in our home for 21+ years and my grandfather passed away more than 26 years ago....so my grandmother must have given them to me when we moved in.

I am pleased as punch that I have this uniform. Although it has no significant monetary value, the sentimental value is immense!

I would take a documented uniform from a Guadalcanal vet - perhaps from one of Edson's Raiders. Just hard to beat that in my book. Thanks Clete

Any of my Dad's stuff. Being the youngest of seven and 5 of us are boys, all his uniforms were long gone by the time I came along.

CW uniforms from one of my relatives......62d Ohio...97th Ohio Infantry....or I would accept a 78th Ohio Infantry uniform. Complete with slouch hat, accouterments, and paperwork.

I would like to have GEN Bruce Palmer Jr's Class A uniform, mostly because I have his dress cap. He was commander II Field Force Vietnam, Deputy Commander USARV, and was the interim Army Chief of Staff between Westmoreland and Creighton Abrams.

• 1 year later...

A Jump qualified WWII USMC 5th Marine Division Service coat of a veteran that served at Iwo Jima.

A Corpsman version of the above would be a very close second.

Leonardo

How about a real marked Memphis Belle bomber jacket?

Now that would be a SWEET jacket!

Since I have completed my ADM uniform spot, I think either a nice P42 camo set w/ helmet and gear or a nice group to a WW2 USN/USMC aviator would be mine. :D

Philip

BigDogMilitaria

I like these types of threads because they remind me that anything is possible. If I had answered this question a couple years ago, i would have said my Grandfathers Army Air Corps uniform jacket. I honestly thought it was in the clutches of a relative who would never let it go. Fast forward to last Spring, and it was given to me. After that, i would have said a named 101st Ike to a Michigan Vet, but somehow that happened too. After that I was seeking out a named jacket to a USMC Vet from Michigan who served at Chosin in Korea. That came to fruitian unexpectedly a couple weeks ago.

I used to collect game worn hockey jerseys. A very wise and veteran collector had me over for a visit one time. I was amazed at some of the jerseys he had acquired. He was not a wealthy man, just very persistent and patient. When i looked in awe at a Red Wings Bob Probert rookie game jersey he gave me a very simple piece of advice. Write down a couple of things you would consider "grails" no matter what you think the price is. Put it away, and from time to time, look at it and remind yourself. You would be suprised. A few years later I had the chance to purchase said hockey jersey. I had the funds available and it was a great price. I ultimately passed because the Sports bug had burned out inside of me. But it told me that anything is possible, if you are patient and have goals.

I'd say right now, it would be a jacket that belonged to one of my Great Uncles who served on Iwo Jima. I know it exists, but its a real long shot for that one. After that it would be a named Ike or 4 pocket belonging to a Michigan Vet who served and saw combat with the 82nd Airborne.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great topic. I have a few dream uniforms:

1) CW uniform of my Alabama Volunteer Corps (AVC) relative (Pvt. Bailey R. George)

2) Uniform belonging to 10th cav Col Charles G. Ayres (I have his grouping but uniform was sold separably in AZ)

3) Id'd Airborne jump jacket or 82nd or 101st decked out Ike

4) Grouping from a MOH winner

I will stop there as to not be too greedy :D

AAF_Collection

For me it would have to be the uniform of an Eighth Air Force MOH holder,or a full pre WWII Air Corps Full Dress Blue uniform.

I guess mine would be any USMC, US Army or USN dress or combat uniforms worn by servicemen who

trained in, or passed through New Zealand during WW2. A lot of USMC and US Army bases and camps were located in or near my area,

(the capital Wellington), and I would love to find some uniforms and other items to represent those men one day.

Rob