Toy Wooden Grenade

siege1863

I do not believe that any toy company made such an item during the war. Plenty of toy guns, helmets, and uniforms, however. This piece is hand-carved and then painted. No doubt it is one-of-a-kind. Will display nicely with my other homefront toys!

post-211-1300462873.jpg

that looks like it could possibly be a Viet Cong training grenade, they used lots of stuff like this , looks like a jungle workshop made item

We are looking at a toy grenade carved by a young boy, based on how crude it is. It measures 4" tall and 1 3/4" across. The seller deals in high-end antiques, including folkart, rare books, and Americana. As a folkart piece, he was originally asking $500.00 for it!

Got da Penny

"Where does he get those wonderful toys" ??? :lol::lol:

Gotta hand it to ya, you have some great homefront items !!

Carey

Neat item that somebody took the time to make for some little guy, or gal, at one time.

"and that, honey, is how you keep those pesky boys away"

Neat piece!

Those several small holes on it look like they're from powder-post beetles.

When they first bore in, it will appear as though somebody had drilled 'perfect' 1/16" holes with a bit.

While they prefer maple and beech, I've seen their work in several other species of wood. Given time, their 'raceways' can cause significant structural damage.

Are there any lathe center marks on the bottom of it?

Are there any lathe center marks on the bottom of it?

I have not yet received the item and so cannot check for lathe marks. However, looking at the outside diamater and how uniform it is, it may be the "grenade" was fashioned from something like a table leg. I have a few handmade and commercially-made wooden toys that were constructed from scraps of old furniture (i.e. legs, seat backs, rungs, etc.).

Interesting. Hadn't considered it being made from 'repurposed' turnings.

Quite a cool display/conversation piece, regardless.