Dave Severance

turmanator

About 10 years ago, just when I started collecting, Col. Severance came to Houston to talk at a small VFW Hall.

My Dad, his Girlfriend, me and my (then) 11 year old son went to hear him. The room had about 40 men in it,

most wearing the Marine Corps League uniforms. 1st we all sang the Marine Corps Hymn. Very moving.

Then we all went around the room telling our name and where weere stationd. I felt pretty small when all these old guys

were saying things like Iwo, Tarawa, Bougainville and I pipe up with "Camp Pendleton" Anyway, there were even several ParaMarines

there. There was one sailor there - boy, did he catch hell! Col. Severance then entranced us all with his stories of Iwo!

I took a picture of him and my son, a picture of the flag raising, and a cross flap canteen cover for me. Unreal that

I met such an important person and National Treasure! I just wish I had talked more to him and some of the other Marines there!

100_0287.jpg

Corpsmancollector

Dave,

Only just noticed this post. In a word, FANTASTIC.

What an honor it must have been to meet and talk with Col. Severance. A true hero indeed.

Will