Cool G.I.Joe Figure Detail

NamHelmet

I know this is a Modeling forum, but I felt the topic is close. I am into collecting the original 1980's 3 3/4 inch G.I.Joe's and I noticed something that you guys might find cool. A figure/character named Leatherneck (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leatherneck_(G.I._Joe)) has painted onto his arm a small but very detailed patch, which I found out was a 1st Reconnaissance Battalion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1st_Reconnaissance_Battalion) patch. I thought it was so cool that a toy would have such a cool military detail like that.

post-30111-1300398675.jpg

post-30111-1300398737.jpg

He looks like a long lost Village People member... :o As a matter of fact all 3 3/4" GI.Joes were Village People members ! :devil: In my book, they were the disgrace of Hasbro.

My first thoughts too!

Yeah. At first sight yes, but don't forget the 80's was the end of the golden age of the 'stache. haha This figure's face was actually based on the head designer of the toy line.

Here he is center:

post-30111-1300419312.jpg

• 1 year later...
Johnny Signor

The 3 inch figure gear I ahve is roughly over 200 various pieces , helmets,backpackes,pistols,rifles,some various animals,etc etc ,I have two full color pamphlets that show all of the first run and later Joe figures along with each piece of gear etc that went to each specific figure , I have the pieces circled in each photo , the pamphlets will go with the accessories to whoever buys them . These would make for a very nice collection if you have loose incomplete figures, and they're getting fairly hard to find .

I paid $1.00 each for a lot of the pieces , but will sell the lot for $100.00 including the pamphlets if you're in the US.

Johnny

I would say the 3 3/4 stuff up until about 1993 ish when it got a little too neon is substantially better than the 12" 1970s full beard "adventure" crap, and a darn sight better than the garbage my older kids have to choose from.

When my littlest boy is old enough, he'll get everything his brothers didn't destroy. Even though the cartoon got goofy at times, have you seen anything on today? Pokemon and bey blades. Kids watching cartoons about kids playing with tops. Christmas shopping is even weird, the PC police or whatever it is have scrubbed any trace of military or especially WWII things from the shelves. Back on topic, I vividly remember an episode of GI Joe that while ridiculously improbable (using the USS Constitution to board an EMP-generator equipped bad-guy controlled rogue battleship), actually took time to mention some of the Constitution's history, and talked about the battleship that was based heavily on the USS Missouri and its service in 3 wars. Somebody involved in that cartoon had apparently seen a book at one time. A lot of the characters had names or details based on some pretty neat historical stuff, too. I loved tanks when I was little after I saw TANK at the age of 4. I had a pretty sweet Abrams-esque tank that came with a drive by the name of "Sherman Guderian." What tread-head wouldn't get those references??

I grew up actually liking this country, and I don't see any of that in what kids have today. The entire point of everything on television now is to be as obnoxious as possible with zero contribution to society.