T19E1, Exerimental tanker helmet liner

HoovieDude

I sure did Larry, and many thanks for your help. Recently I've been creating a bibliography from various sources and am trying to find some of the original material referenced. For the most part, many of these obscure references are available (I assume) only at the National Archives. I cannot find many online.

Some are from the National Archives, but many of these were obtained from the U.S. Army Center for Military History and the U.S. Army Heritage Center. A lot came from the good people, Charles Lemon in particular, at the former Patton Museum of Armor at Fort Knox. Charlie has retired in the last year and with the reorganization of the Patton Museum and transfer of the armor resources to Fort Benning I am not sure what archival material they still have. You might send an email to the Patton Museum's Director, Chris Kolakowski, and ask for material, he's a great guy and I am sure he would point you to other resources as well.

Larry

Ahhhh, so it was you who pulled it out from under me at the end. Thought I had it, and honestly, the seller lost out by refusing to sell it outright as I offered him a bit more than it ended with auction. Don't mind paying a little extra to ensure I get what I want, lol.

On this one, my thoughts are that is was done up as a roller skating/disco piece in the 70's to early 80's when disco roller skating were popular. Especially with the "star patrol" and lightning bolts. I had planned on stripping all that off if I scored it.

Congrats on that one gitana!

On this one, my thoughts are that is was done up as a roller skating/disco piece in the 70's to early 80's when disco roller skating were popular. Especially with the "star patrol" and lightning bolts. I had planned on stripping all that off if I scored it.

Seriously!!? ha ha, I hadn't thought of that. I hoped it might be legit but I also have a very limited knowledge of 50s era markings. If you're right I guess I should take a stab at removing the yellow paint.

(I also made him an offer, and of course he decided not to accept). This was the first one of these I've ever seen.

• 8 years later...
  • 2 years later...
manayunkman
On 1/17/2012 at 2:16 PM, gitana said:

post-14792-1326827791.jpg

I kind of hope you left it as it was, what did you do with it?

That paint job is awesome and who knows where it really came from.

Thrifter_01

Found a rare picture of the helmet in use. The Colonel is Charles A. Sheldon, riding on a tank with two others wearing the T19 helmet liner, the two sporting the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment Decal on the front.

20230729_151455.jpg.8cfed36ea8b3336a33cba76f20e06319.jpg20230729_151507.jpg.fa5b04a0e5173a216d2f36a045c3b80b.jpg20230729_151527.jpg.2f4c564ffabc93dfd8ab943827331d6d.jpg

20230729_152457.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Tubby Tankman

Gidday from New Zealand.

I pulled this from the rubbish yesterday, emptying a recently deceased retired soldier farm shed/barn.

I had idea what this was/is then a bloke on a F/Book collecting site sent me your thread.

Glad I saved it now. No idea how it came to be in NZ.

T19E1 1.jpg

T19E1 2.jpg

T19E1 3.jpg

Nice, glad you saved it. Probably been here since the war or used by the NZ Army tank guys early on. Looks to be in great nick. Let me know if you want to part with it.

Cheers, John.