WW2 AAF Dog Tag Question

KVSkelton

Greetings all. I have a question regarding the ASNs on a set of dog tags. These came with an AAF officer's grouping that I picked up at the SoS this year. The top tag has his Enlisted serial number. I have found his data in the Online Enlistment Database. It's the second tag that I have a question about. Here's the pic:

As you can see, there are two serial numbers on the second tag. One, the shorter of the two has been stamped out and the other, longer, number has been added. The shorter number is also seen on the B-4 bag that came with the group:

My thoughts are that the short number was perhaps his ASN while a Cadet Pilot? Any other thoughts or ideas on this?

I have sent a request for his information to NARA. His listed "Activity" on his WW2 Memorial posting says he was a bomber pilot with the 15th AAF with 35 combat missions. When I get his history, I'll post the entire grouping that also includes 2 WW2 uniforms and 1 post war USAF uniform.

Thanks for looking!

Kevin

post-50776-0-57103600-1400111734.jpg

post-50776-0-39758700-1400111745.jpg

This guy really took the long way around. He started out as an enlistedman, the first dog tag, then became and Aviation Cadet and graduated as a Flight Officer, the ASN with the T prefix on the B-4 Bag also notice it says F/O in front of it. He was then commissioned which is the O prefixed number added to the second dog tag. This was fairly common in the AAF during WWII, the AAF treated the Flight Officer rank almost as a 3rd Lieutenant. This was due to allocations for various ranks and the TO and Es, they would have say 100 slots for new 2nd Lieutenants and 110 graduating cadets so the top 100 would become 2nd Lieutenants and the bottom 10 would become Flight Officers. As commissioned slots opened up the Flight Officers would be promoted.

This guy really took the long way around. He started out as an enlistedman, the first dog tag, then became and Aviation Cadet and graduated as a Flight Officer, the ASN with the T prefix on the B-4 Bag also notice it says F/O in front of it. He was then commissioned which is the O prefixed number added to the second dog tag. This was fairly common in the AAF during WWII, the AAF treated the Flight Officer rank almost as a 3rd Lieutenant. This was due to allocations for various ranks and the TO and Es, they would have say 100 slots for new 2nd Lieutenants and 110 graduating cadets so the top 100 would become 2nd Lieutenants and the bottom 10 would become Flight Officers. As commissioned slots opened up the Flight Officers would be promoted.

Fantastic information, QED4! Many thanks! I'm glad I posted the B-4 bag as well as his dog tags. Now I'm really looking forward to getting his information back from NARA. Hopefully it won't have all been consumed in the '73 fire. I did not know that about Flight Officers. I appreciate your taking the time to explain it. It makes perfect sense to me now!

Kevin

I believe the "T" number on the tag is for the soldier's Tetnus innoculation dates.

You are correct, atb. Notice, too, that the first character that is struck out on the second dog tag is also a T. So one T for his Tetnus date (42-43) and the other before his ASN for his status as a Flight Officer, if I understand correctly.

Kevin

Kev,

Can't wait to see the final research. You defintely got a great grouping even without the additional information. I know it was fun spending your money my friend. :lol:

Mike

Kev,

Can't wait to see the final research. You defintely got a great grouping even without the additional information. I know it was fun spending your money my friend. :lol:

Mike

Thanks Mike! Next time you bring the money and I'll help you spend yours at the SoS! If my Lady ever complains about how much I spent (so far so good) you know WHO I'm going to blame, right? :D

Kev