1872 Ordnance Sgt Chevron

36-tex

This was one of my "sweetest" buys at the Hastings Show. It is in a frame, but I want to open it up to see if this is glued in. Should I do that or just leave it? The colors are bright and the design of the ordnance bomb is cool.

post-98-1300134735.jpg

That is a 1901-1902 Ordnance Sgt. chevron. The 1872 version had the big 5 point star like the ones used prior to that date. (See Emerson's book "Chevrons".) I have one just like this, and you are right, they are beautiful. Computer photos don't do these justice.

Do you think I should open it up to see how it is attached?

No, Mark ... do not open it up. Send it on down here to me. I'll check it and let you know. :rolleyes:

I thought you did not want this older pieces of rank?

I never said I didn't want 'em ... I said that at today's eBay prices I can't afford 'em!

I never said I didn't want 'em ... I said that at today's eBay prices I can't afford 'em!

:lol:

I hear you! This was my birthday gift and it only set me back $50.

:lol:

I hear you! This was my birthday gift and it only set me back $50.

To answer your question, I'd leave it alone unless you wanted to display it with other similar chevrons. I gave $40 for mine about ten years ago, so you got a pretty good price on it. Considering how good looking that chevron is, it wasn't a bad deal.