Just a reminder,...the Ken Burns WWII PBS series....

Greg Sebring

That was excellent! thumbsup.gif

Is part 2 next Sunday?

I believe part 2 is on Monday night, part 3 on Tuesday and part 4 is on Wednesday. Please check your local listings to be sure! BTW How many parts are there?

The series ends OCT 3rd. Its in in 2 hr installments 6 more times. Probably every other day or so.

Hmmm, OK just check the listings in Indy. Our local station is running it Sun-Wed this week and next.

It was on here last night from 9:30 until almost midnight without a commercial......

Same here in So Cal 9:00 pm until 11:30 pm, without commercial interupption (with a complete repeat right after the first airing). Pt 2 - 4 are slated for tonight thru thursday night. I am not sure how many episodes.

It has the makings of being another Ken Burns "Classic". He really knows how to bring out the personal side and how it touched different people, different ways. I'm glad the following episodes are on subsequent nights. If the following nights are like last night, the series ought to be a mandatory part of every high school history course.

I called my mom and dad to remind them to watch it and I'll get their opinion when the series ends.

Greg

IMPERIAL QUEST

Ken Burns poduces excellent documentaries, and this one is no exception to that fact. It was a great first part to the series, and I will be sure to not miss the remaining segments.

What I find interesting is that one of the towns, Luverne, Minnesota, is one town away from my mom's home town and they recognize all the Luverne photos, names and used to know the Luverne newspaper owner, whose columns much of this is based on. Unless you are from Luverne, it can't hit home much more than that!

I believe part 2 is on Monday night, part 3 on Tuesday and part 4 is on Wednesday. Please check your local listings to be sure! BTW How many parts are there?

I was told there are 7 parts thumbsup.gif and wil skip to next for the last parts

other than the 15 minutes of combat footage, I'd rather watch whales hump! talk about slow! that was so uneventfull and boring I hope as the "war" progresses it picks up pace!

"The War" impacted every facet of American life. I'm enjoying every snippet from the descriptions and experiences of the featured veterans to the sacrifices upon those that stayed here in the States. This is classic Ken Burns style and you can expect the whole series to remain the same. Frankly, I'd be disappointed if it changed.

Greg

IMPERIAL QUEST

I don't understand what some here mean by slow....this format is exceptionally crafted to not bombard the viewer with shoot-'em up images that fly past at the speed of light. Instead, the pace is deliberately paced to allow what is being said and what is being shown to sink deep inside you. I personally find it very thought provoking, and well thought out. However, this is just one man's opinion. ;)

The study of history is different things to different people. This series goes beyond the shoot 'em up combat and gets into the lives of the people who lived it. This is history as it was experienced at the time of the event. We are fortunate to have participants still with us to share those experiences.

When one (that's one) B-17 was shot down, how many lives would that have effected?

Try to imagine what it was like to come home from the factory or mill in 1942 and pick up the paper. As you read the headlines describing the latest axis successes, imagine not knowing if we would in fact win the war. That was a very real possibility. I think the upcoming episode will reveal a lot when they talk about seeing the news reels of the Tarawa battle. The people at home weren't told everything. Seeing those films was a real shock to the folks back home.

And also remember, as a major combatant, the US suffered very little in comparison to the others. To really understand the war in it's totality, those who are strictly into the front line are missing a lot by not watching this series. I personally find this quite interesting since my parents lived it.

I hope part 2 is more interesting than the first 2 hours of part 1. Man, I couldn't stop yawning.

I was thinking the same thing, after last night, I finally realized that i had seen many of the same photos or film footage already.

Now, to make a 90 Degree turn,..... I also see that this is Classic Ken Burns style and that not everybody is going to know alot about WW2 , especially my teenage kids and most of the parents my age .. (42). So, in that breath I see it as a FLOW thru History Book. that we used to have in Jr High.

The best part for me, is the ORAL HISTORY. where the actual people give you first hand accounts of what it was like.

** I can relate, as i have over 130 Recorded interviews since 1995 at about 2 hrs or more each **

I will definitely watch the series as i feel it has alot to offer and i bet the best is yet to come.

Carey

Keep in mind that 30% or more of this series is INTENDED to show America during the War. Anyone can see the combat movies, Burns wanted to show an often forgotten side. Also, note that if the individual wasn't alive in WWII, they are not in the films--in other words, we aren't bombarded by professors or other history "experts."

I'm quite pleased by the combat footage. Being an avid WW2 buff since I was 5, I've probably seen all the "regualr" footage a 1000 times over. However, in the first two episodes, I was happy that much was new to me (and in color at that) thumbsup.gif

However, in the first two episodes, I was happy that much was new to me (and in color at that) thumbsup.gif

There is probably a ton of footage in this that has never been used before or was used just for snippets. The typical war documentary to this point has been maybe an hour long (well there was Victory At Sea) and they usually went for the same action footage. The War does not have the usual documentary time limitations and because of who Burns is he had access to footage other filmmakers never even knew existed or were not allowed to access (much of the old film stock is in bad shape but if a Ken Burns comes along and says we'd like to try to use it and, oh yeah, digitize it as a high quality archival copy, few conservators of old footage would say "no")