The USS Wadena Commander

weeksfalcon

weeksfalcon

Hello,

I have some Navy Militaria from my great uncle (Walter Maxwell Falconer) who graduated from the USNA in 1897. He started out as an Ensign out of school on the USS Indiana and did tours in the Spanish – American war in the battle of Santiago as well as the Philippines campaign and others. He retired as commandeer of the USS Wadena, a luxury Yacht bought from industrialist J. H. Wade of Ohio and the ship was outfitted for “distant service” in 1917and decommissioned in 1919. He was buried at Arlington National cemetery in 1943.

Pictures of the USS Wadena attached.

The list of items I have from my great uncle:

-Navy dress sword engraved with his name.

-Painted Tin Box with Commanders’ hat, epaulets, sword belt.

-Also in tin box, black velvet British peaked cap and Scottish purse with animal hair.

-Also in tin box Sterling whistle with knotted rope, black silk USS Wadena strip banner (3 ft x 2”) and (4 ft x 2”) US flag strip banner with 6 stars on blue background and red & white stripe and brass grommet

-I also have his Navy knife with original rope tether

-I also have his medals for campaigns in Santiago and Philippines’ with other decorations

-I also have his dress buttons for multiple uniforms

-I also have his Colt 1901 US army revolver in it’s original box

-I also have his class ring from 1897 – Tiffany’s 20 grm solid gold with onyx top (engraved in reverse for seal impressions) with his name engraved in it’s original leather box.

-I also have some history and pictures of my great uncle and pictures from his graduating yearbook

I have these items and want to know how I might get them to collectors that would appreciate them individually or as an intact collection as they are sitting in climate controlled storage, and I do not see displaying them as I am not a collector of military history. I am not sure if there are sites where collectors interact. I will probably not post 50 times here to be able to offer these items.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Bob MacNally

post-31065-1300129554.jpg

teufelhunde.ret
Hello,

... I will probably not post 50 times here to be able to offer these items.

...Thanks in advance for your response.

clip_image002.jpg

Bob, may I suggest you start w/ posting a few modest items and let members join in discussion / comments. You can build a story behind these goods, before you know it, you will be well beyond the 50 posts requirement. "build the story" and the grouping will sell for top dollar, piece it out any you will not realize full value. good luck, s/f D.

...and welcome aboard!

Rakkasan187

Bob,

First, Welcome to forum, and second as Teufelhunde has said, build up a story around the items. Take pictures of each item individually, and you will be able to get your 50 posts in no time. I would also like to suggest that you keep this collection intact. Selling off each individual piece may be your preferred method, but as you mentioned you are not a collector of military history. Those of us who are miltary historians, we highly value the importance of keeping groupings like this together for preservation. Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck, and I look forward to seeing more pictures of your Great Uncle's items.

Thanks for posting and again Best of luck...

Leigh...

The sterling whistel with knotted rope is a "Bos'u'ns Call with Lanyard". The black silk USS Wadena banner is an enlisted Cap Ribbon. The Flag strip is a Commission Pennant.

These items would have been given to him upon his retirement from the ship. The Commision Pennant is a traditional parting gift. The Call was probebly the one used to pipe him over the side and along with the Enlisted Cap Ribbon would be a mark great respect from the crew. He must have been a good Captain to receive those things.

Steve Hesson