WWI AEF 3rd Pioneer Regiment Variant

jagjetta

I was pleasantly surprised to find this 3rd Pioneer image in the recent large collection of images I acquired. As most know the "normal" 3rd Pioneer patch tends to be the 1st Army "A" over a horizontal projectile. It appears this fellow also has an white ax sewn on the crossbar of the "A".

Collar disc is clearly Pioneer Infantry. The French-made "3" on his overseas cap helps nail down the attribution.

John A-G

post-949-1300113114.jpg

Killer photo John! He definitely went out of his way to be unique. The large P collar disk is pretty neat too, but the patch takes the cake. Any way of telling if he was a Minnesota guy? Studio stamp on the photo maybe? Lots of the 3rd seemed to be from MN. Wonderful image!

Killer photo John! He definitely went out of his way to be unique. The large P collar disk is pretty neat too, but the patch takes the cake. Any way of telling if he was a Minnesota guy? Studio stamp on the photo maybe? Lots of the 3rd seemed to be from MN. Wonderful image!

Sorry, Mark. Only inscription on back (looks like a German-made card) is:

"Menton [?] France

Feb. 22, 1919

Here I am just as I am looking at present.

Yours lovingly,

Ted."

• 10 years later...

Here's my great uncle George Herman Schultz, Co. L 3rd Pioneer Infantry. I'm guessing privates didn't get those spiffy collar discs. Yes, he was a Minnesota kid (Brainerd/Crow Wing/Ironton).

Trying to determine where his unit was attached. Lots of vague mentions about Meuse-Argonne out there, but haven't found specifics. 

Schultz Portrait.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/30/2021 at 10:06 AM, rossor said:

Here's my great uncle George Herman Schultz, Co. L 3rd Pioneer Infantry. I'm guessing privates didn't get those spiffy collar discs. Yes, he was a Minnesota kid (Brainerd/Crow Wing/Ironton).

Rossor - I'm sending you a PM which will help with some of the 3rd's Details, as well as some other details on George.  He was actually living in Minneapolis when he returned from Europe. 

Thank so much, Austin. Your insights are greatly appreciated and give me a great foundation to continue working from. 

My main interest is genealogy. I’ve mostly focused on the service history of George’s brothers, Charley and John Henry. They served together in the 117th Infantry Regiment, 30th Division. It was a Tennessee guard unit supplemented with Minnesota draftees, and was one of the two divisions Pershing allowed to serve under British command. They served alongside Aussies and broke through the Hindenburg Line at the St. Quentin canal.  Charley was killed taking the town of Premont on Oct. 11 and is buried in the American cemetery in nearby Bony. John Henry was wounded in the stomach, though I don’t have details on that yet. My wife, kids and I visited his grave and St. Quentin battlefields for the centennial.

Now I have the basis for filling in details of George’s service.

My Minnesota heritage is strong, as evidenced by my mother’s letter from Hubert Humphrey congratulating her on being named “Miss Legs Minneapolis” when she was six years old. Different times, eh? My great grandmother (the soldier’s youngest sister) lived in Minneapolis (34th Street sounds familiar) her entire life. 

Again … thank you for taking time to help me along.

Ross

6358F34D-0BDC-43B0-9737-E3CD98403855.jpeg

F84D648E-1483-4D7A-B5BB-E76F59C2B000.jpeg

• 3 months later...
Victor Frailing

Hi, I am excited to find this thread!  My grandfather was in the 3rd Pioneer Infantry, and would love any information about their time in the Argonne, or anything else you have.  He died in 1930 from his injuries.  Yes, he was from Minnesota, from Sibley.  He was drafted July 23rd, 1918. William Samuel Abraham

1893494536_WilliamWW1portrait.jpg.5fe077935e30809dd2fc300c8eb6dfd5.jpg