Jungle Boots of the Vietnam era

Holloman

craig_pickrall

It is hard to be sure from the pic but it looks like yours have the Panama sole rather than the Vibram sole. The Vibram sole is more commonly seen. I'm not sure if the Panama sole adds or reduces value but they are neat and not that common.

post-5-1167841630.jpg

Greg Robinson

Be very careful about wearing the originals with vibram sole. I used to keep a pair of these around and loved 'em. But around about 1980 I began experiencing a major problem with huge cracks developing in the rubber sole after they were worn for a while. I assume age and dry rot had set in so I had to give them up as an everyday boot. I own a pair now that has the later sole and they're dated in the 1980's and I don't have that problem with them. So the moral of the story is to avoid wearing the early jungle boots......best retire them into your collections.

On a general note, original Vietnam-era boots (3th pattern with Panama soles at least) have some info printed with a date (month/year) on the tongue, and have a small vertical seam on the heel, above the sole. Post 'Nam issue and commercial boots (as far as I'm familiar with them at least) lack this seam.

Greetz ;)

David

craig_pickrall

This is the sequence of Vietnam era Jungle Boots as I know them. The sequence covers from 1962 to 1996. I apologize for the crappy pics. This is something I put together several years ago before my first digital camera.

post-5-1167931552.jpg

post-5-1167931562.jpg

• 5 months later...
usmc-collector

I have purchsed these jungle boots with vibram pattern sole recently, not contract marked, just stamped 9R (white stamp) on tongue, notice center rubber "tunel" molded on sole, any ideas about the purpose for this "tunel"? Does it cover steel shank? Maybe commercially produced boots or testing example? thanks JAROSLAV

post-31-1181513718.jpg

post-31-1181513731.jpg

post-31-1181513741.jpg

post-31-1181513901.jpg

craig_pickrall

I do not think they are issue boots. They do say "Made in USA" but I think they are commerical not military. The issue boots have the maker name molded on the sole as well as stamped inside (usually on the tongue).

• 4 years later...
I have purchsed these jungle boots with vibram pattern sole recently, not contract marked, just stamped 9R (white stamp) on tongue, notice center rubber "tunel" molded on sole, any ideas about the purpose for this "tunel"? Does it cover steel shank? Maybe commercially produced boots or testing example? thanks JAROSLAV

post-31-1181513718.jpg

post-31-1181513731.jpg

post-31-1181513741.jpg

post-31-1181513901.jpg

I thought I'd dredge this one out from the past.

Those boots with the "tunnel" are commercial boots. Issue boots do not have the "tunnel" although many reference books (Osprey) show paintings of boots with a "tunnel". They were sold in sporting goods stores in the 60's and 70's. Many American surplus stores still have a GIANT jungle boot on display. These giant boots were manufactured as advertisements for the commercial ones.

A couple other observations...

Late Vietnam contract boots MAY or MAY NOT have the vertical seam in the heel. I have a 1968 dated set of Panama sole boots that lack the vertical seam.

Early un-reinforced ankle boots (usually called 2nd pattern) first came with a removable spike protective insert. The insert was metal on the bottom with the mesh plastic insert on the top.

Many of the early 1966 issue 3rd pattern Vibram sole boots were not spike protective.

Vietnam jungle boots may either have 9 or 10 eyelets. The determining factor seems to be the size. Boots size 12 and higher typically have 10 eyelets.

Jungle boot heels were not made of rubber, but of a special plastic and synthetic rubber mix. This accounts for the cracking in Vibram sole boots. I have several pairs that I use for reenacting (and used in the Army in the early 2000's). They tend to crack under the hexagonal lug, but it doesn't affect anything. It used to bother me, but the crack doesn't spread too far and they are still better than the repros available.

post-31-1181513718.jpg

post-31-1181513731.jpg

post-31-1181513741.jpg

post-31-1181513901.jpg

I thought I'd dredge this one out from the past.

Those boots with the "tunnel" are commercial boots. Issue boots do not have the "tunnel" although many reference books (Osprey) show paintings of boots with a "tunnel". They were sold in sporting goods stores in the 60's and 70's. Many American surplus stores still have a GIANT jungle boot on display. These giant boots were manufactured as advertisements for the commercial ones.

A couple other observations...

Late Vietnam contract boots MAY or MAY NOT have the vertical seam in the heel. I have a 1968 dated set of Panama sole boots that lack the vertical seam.

Early un-reinforced ankle boots (usually called 2nd pattern) first came with a removable spike protective insert. The insert was metal on the bottom with the mesh plastic insert on the top.

Many of the early 1966 issue 3rd pattern Vibram sole boots were not spike protective.

Vietnam jungle boots may either have 9 or 10 eyelets. The determining factor seems to be the size. Boots size 12 and higher typically have 10 eyelets.

Jungle boot heels were not made of rubber, but of a special plastic and synthetic rubber mix. This accounts for the cracking in Vibram sole boots. I have several pairs that I use for reenacting (and used in the Army in the early 2000's). They tend to crack under the hexagonal lug, but it doesn't affect anything. It used to bother me, but the crack doesn't spread too far and they are still better than the repros available.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On a general note, original Vietnam-era boots (3th pattern with Panama soles at least) have some info printed with a date (month/year) on the tongue, and have a small vertical seam on the heel, above the sole. Post 'Nam issue and commercial boots (as far as I'm familiar with them at least) lack this seam.

To help clear up any confusion. Here is a pair of 1968 dated Panama sole tropical/jungle boots. This particular pair lacks the vertical seam on the heel.

post-124172-0-83059500-1481497398_thumb.jpg