WWII Airborne Purple Heart w/ OLC grouping

Josh B.

Thought I'd share this grouping I bought some time ago directly from the vet's son after his father passed away. Unfortunately he had already sold alot of his father's belongings before I came across it, so this was all that was left to be had. I blurred the places where the vet's name was written on all of the paperwork- I've seen one too many "interested parties" using google to "shop" for named militaria lately, so I'm keeping that to myself. That being said, he's listed in the online roster indicated by his discharge paperwork as would be expected. This group is unique as the heart number matches that listed in the discharge paperwork as I've shown- a practice that was discontinued not too long into the war. A nice grouping to a guy wounded twice in 6 EAME campaigns in the hard-fighting 504th PIR, the "Devils in the baggy pants" regiment.

Josh

post-6517-1300077206.jpg

Is the Purple heart itself named?

-Ski

Ski,

No, its a typical blank reverse WIA heart. Its just nice that the number shows up in the discharge papers and establishes rock solid provenance to this soldier.

-Josh

Josh,

There is certainly provenance established with the whole group.

That makes for a great piece of collecting history. :thumbsup:

Ski,

No, its a typical blank reverse WIA heart. Its just nice that the number shows up in the discharge papers and establishes rock solid provenance to this soldier.

-Josh

You bet! Very nice, indeed!

-Ski

Hey Josh,

Well Done on getting it Thats an Excellent 504th PIR Grouping

W/OLC You have got there Very Nice to see and its a great

Piece of American Military History you have there :thumbsup: .

• 8 years later...

Ok, just dug this group out again. Any reason this man's records lack indication of a parachute badge or service school? Given his campaigns and service records, there's no indication he was ever attached to another unit. Sorry, I mostly specialize in USN these days, and not a 504th expert.

There's a line further down that discusses service schools attended - I would expect to see TPS (The Parachute School) or something to that effect with a time of 4 weeks - the problem with WWII discharges is that they were anything but standardized and things are on or not based on the whim of the clerk and the level of care within the individual.

Kyle

There's a line further down that discusses service schools attended - I would expect to see TPS (The Parachute School) or something to that effect with a time of 4 weeks - the problem with WWII discharges is that they were anything but standardized and things are on or not based on the whim of the clerk and the level of care within the individual.

Kyle

Thanks Kyle. I have to look at the paperwork again, but I believe the box with service schools is either blank or says "none". This trooper's son had an original "Devils in baggy pants" unit history, but sold it before I found the group. Would this have listed names and jump training? If not, did the 504th have wartime yearbooks that might?

Best, Josh

This trooper's ETO card is signed by none other than Capt. Adam Komosa. Capt. Komosa's Silver star citation reads:

GENERAL ORDERS:

Headquarters, 82d Airborne Division, General Orders No. 131 (November 3, 1945)

CITATION:

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Silver Star to Captain (Infantry) Adam A. Komosa (ASN: 0-378898), United States Army, for gallantry in action while serving with the 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 82d Airborne Division, in action on 30 January 1945, near ****, Belgium. Captain Komosa, his exhausted and decimated company pinned down by four machine guns as he led it across open and exposed terrain, dashed forward with his submachine gun and silenced one enemy gun. To perform this action which enabled the company to advance, Captain Komosa voluntarily exposed himself for five minutes to a raking stream of accurate and interlocked enemy automatic weapons fire. Having disposed of one enemy machine gun, he called forward his own and so skillfully directed their emplacement and operation that the three remaining enemy guns were destroyed. Captain Komosa then placed himself at the head of the company and led it forward in a smashing attack against well emplaced enemy infantry that yielded eighty prisoners and caused many enemy casualties. His personal example of determination, devotion to duty and forgetfulness of self safety, inspired the men of his company and was a major consideration in the success of the attack.