Battle: LA

willysmb44

I caught the movie on Friday. It was a slightly more serious version of "Independence Day" from a grunt's point of view with full DoD cooperation. You never get an idea as to what's going on with the aliens other than overhearing news reports (suggesting they've come to use out water supply, which makes no sense as they could just stick a giant straw into the middle of the oceans and fend of naval vessels that come to check it out easier than landing on the land masses).

It takes itself too seriously, but I enjoyed it anyway. It's a nice action flick, just leave your brain at the door.

Cobrahistorian
I caught the movie on Friday. It was a slightly more serious version of "Independence Day" from a grunt's point of view with full DoD cooperation. You never get an idea as to what's going on with the aliens other than overhearing news reports (suggesting they've come to use out water supply, which makes no sense as they could just stick a giant straw into the middle of the oceans and fend of naval vessels that come to check it out easier than landing on the land masses).

It takes itself too seriously, but I enjoyed it anyway. It's a nice action flick, just leave your brain at the door.

Yeah, I'll second that. Don't expect too much. It definitely stole from War of the Worlds and Independence Day.

bronxboymike

Haven't saw the movie yet, but I noticed a promo shot the other day of one of the stars, Michelle Rodriquez. She's supposed to be a Marine, but in the promo pic she's wearing USAF Sgt's stripes on her sleeve. So, much for accuracy.

Mike

Haven't saw the movie yet, but I noticed a promo shot the other day of one of the stars, Michelle Rodriquez. She's supposed to be a Marine, but in the promo pic she's wearing USAF Sgt's stripes on her sleeve. So, much for accuracy.

Mike

In an interview a few months back, she specified that she does portray an AF Staff Sargent Geek type who gets tossed into the fight. Just sayin', looking forward to seeing the flik

Steve Hesson

Mike

The Chicago Tribune did the same thing. I was like yeah thats wrong.

overhearing news reports (suggesting they've come to use out water supply, which makes no sense as they could just stick a giant straw into the middle of the oceans and fend of naval vessels that come to check it out easier than landing on the land masses).

Aliens come through lightyears of space to take fresh water from LA? Just one more reason why all the navigation GPS's need that "Avoid Ghetto" feature installed on them.

In an interview a few months back, she specified that she does portray an AF Staff Sargent Geek type who gets tossed into the fight. Just sayin', looking forward to seeing the flik

In all fairness they did it right in the film, She's picked up with the 40th ID Army reservists doing a FAC party thing, which would be quite correct.

• 2 weeks later...
john.manguso
In all fairness they did it right in the film, She's picked up with the 40th ID Army reservists doing a FAC party thing, which would be quite correct.

40th ID = California Army NG

Two quibbles: Copperhead doesn't work the way portrayed; how come only the USAF female bayonets an alien, not the Marines?

Best line: "We've already had lunch, sir"

Great action flick. Will see it again.

BILL THE PATCH

i seen it when first released, i thought it was pretty darn good. very patriotic if you ask me, very pro marine. i thought it was funny when one marine say who's john wayne, cmon now even my 10 year old knows who that is. but overall it is very entertaining isn't that what movies are supposed to do? entertain? closest thing to a war movie thats out right now. i did hear spielberg was making a ww1 flick on flanders? anyone hear about it?

i seen it when first released, i thought it was pretty darn good. very patriotic if you ask me, very pro marine. i thought it was funny when one marine say who's john wayne, cmon now even my 10 year old knows who that is. but overall it is very entertaining isn't that what movies are supposed to do? entertain? closest thing to a war movie thats out right now. i did hear spielberg was making a ww1 flick on flanders? anyone hear about it?

We talked about the WW I movie a while back. As I remember it's a childrens movie involving a horse.

Yeah, I'll second that. Don't expect too much. It definitely stole from War of the Worlds and Independence Day.

You can add Skyline, Starship Troopers, and Cloverfield as well. Just saw the movie a couple days ago and because of this thread, I put my mind in neutral, didn't help, my transmission kept slipping into reverse.

I didn't see an original thought in the movie, they stole from about every other movie out there. There were 12 of us watching the movie and by the last 1/3 of it, if you saw a scene stolen from another movie, you would yell it out, it got to be a funny joke.

I wouldn't call it a Sci-Fi movie, i think it would be more correctly described as a war movie where the bad guys, instead of being Nazis, Communists, or Terrorists, are Aliens.

Also another thing the movie would be more aptly titled Marines vs. Aliens. It was so pro USMC that I was surprised there was not a USMC recruiter standing right outside the theater when it let out.

-Josh

Just goes to show that if you're making a movie about grunts, it's usually gonna be the Marines. I remember seeing the first "transformers" movie (which I was very surprised by as I thought for sure I'd hate it) and wondered how they made the humans soldiers as the Army rarely gets that kind of action on screen these days in sci-fi, ever since "Aliens" came out in the 80s.

I saw it at a theater in the middle of the area with FT Lewis and McChord (now called "JBLM") and the Navy bases on the other side of the narrows. You could tell who'd served by what they snickered at in the movie. When that first alien pops out of the simming pool and they light it up and Sarge tells one of them to drop a grenade in the pool just to be sure, myself and 7-8 others scattered through the theater snickered out loud as he did it. You could hear a few others whispering, "what was funny about that?"