WWI to WWII USN bullion wings: examples and patterns

Those are beautiful Mark! I believe they were made and worn from the late 1920's thru the 1930's. Check out the pinned thread entitled "WWI to WWII USN Bullion Wings" for similar bullion examples:

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
rathbonemuseum.com

I wanted to post this recent acquisition. A bullion naval aviator with an unusual design and of unusual proportions. The wing is more tall and therefore squarer than typical NA designs. It also features 13 neatly embroidered star at the top of the shield. The bullion work and the backing make me think of British bullion work but i have no solid attribution. I am fairly it is of a WWII or earlier age, not a modern Pakistani copy. If you have seen this in a photo or on a tunic, would love to know about it! Thanks. Tod

3A603563-6825-4D3E-AF72-8DDAD2DA3FDE_1_201_a.jpeg

B808BFC1-3E1C-496F-8029-92574301D7D9_1_201_a.jpeg

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

A pair of WW1 era Naval Aviation shoulder marks:

Epps-1.jpeg.b4d9e5139a02b2443331576fdd20ef27.jpeg

Just prior to the WW1, naval regulations changed several times with respect to how various staff corps were to be identified on their sleeves and shoulder marks.  One change directed staff corps officers to wear colored velvet between the gold stripes (or on either side of  the single stripe for Ensigns).  Another variation dropped the colored velvet for gold embroidered staff corps insignia worn in lieu of the line officer's star--similar to warrant officers.  Still another had staff corps officers wearing shoulder marks with no colors and no star...

A number of changes in a fairly short period, and a good deal of confusion.

When the Naval Aviation Corps stood up, there was also initially some question as to if aviators were going to be considered staff or line officers.  Some manufacturers, seeing an opportunity, marketed shoulder marks with naval aviation insignia to the young Naval Aviators.

As far as I have been able to research, regulations never appear to have specifically authorized these unique Naval Aviation shoulder marks; although they do show up occasionally in period photographs.  I have discussed this type of shoulder mark with @rustywings, and he believes them to be early WW1 era.

This pair came from Daniel Griffin--Always a wonderful source of quality militaria.   Thanks Dan!

Chris

Another early US Naval Aviation shoulder mark came to me out of the woodwork today:

EppLT-1.jpeg.811f27c5b43707a745ac1b30fbb11b46.jpeg

This shoulder mark appears to have had an interesting history during this early transitional period.  The Naval Aviation mark on this version is directly embroidered onto the face.  The shoulder mark itself shows evidence of having been converted from Lt Junior Grade to Lieutenant.  Additionally, a line officer star has been added above the Naval Aviation wings.  

Apparently, this Lieutenant was proud enough of his Naval Aviation specific shoulder marks to have them modified so he could keep wearing them.

Chris

Chris, you’ve posted some terrific early Naval Aviation artifacts!  So few and far between, but I’m confident they were worn in France by more than a couple of Aviators.

IMG_2937.jpeg.2ed3c930ddcb983f4ced655d836c7a71.jpegIMG_2936.jpeg.420208586887ff5518e00f398965512b.jpeg

6 hours ago, rustywings said:

A couple of more embroidered examples.

IMG_2944.jpeg.42c1121e87b3bf8fd8bcd3e997e2c502.jpegIMG_2943.jpeg.966a802af3c797f67d6226129ad2a8ea.jpeg

These are amazing examples!  Note how large the wing insignia is (like those in the photo)--nearly the full width of the shoulder mark!  The young Naval Aviator who wore these was obviously quite proud of his tribal affiliation!  Wonderful!

Thank you for sharing!

Chris