WWI to WWII USN bullion wings: examples and patterns

Kastauffer,

Your two bullion Aviator wings are absolutely exceptional! Thank you for posting such "top-shelf" examples.

Russ

Cliff.

Attached is a pic of Roland Corbin, Naval Aviator #621 and his brother Horace W. Corbin during the war.

Terry

Hey Terry,

Found another picture of Ensign Corbin in the book FLYING OFFICERS of the U.S.N. which you probably have; however, in some old files found a picture of Navy dirigible DN-1 taken in April, 1917 at Naval Air Station Pensacola. Since Ensign Corbin got his Naval Aviator rating at Pensacola about the same time on 17 April 1917 he would have flown in it.

Cliff

CORBIN, Roland Earl

Born: 18 Sep.1893 in Dundee, MI; Retired: South Hero, VT 1969.

Education: University of Michigan - 1 year

Military Service: U.S. Navy: April 30, 1917- September 30, 1921 (Rank: Ensign USNR)

Ratings: Heavier-Than-Air and Lighter-Than-Air Balloon & Airship training at Akron, OH & Naval Air Station-Pensacola, FL; FAI-ACA Balloon License #595 issued 17 April 1917; Naval Aviator #621.

----------------------------- :unsure:

post-4542-1301771411.jpg

Hey Terry,

Found another picture of Ensign Corbin in the book FLYING OFFICERS of the U.S.N. which you probably have; however, in some old files found a picture of Navy dirigible DN-1 taken in April, 1917 at Naval Air Station Pensacola. Since Ensign Corbin got his Naval Aviator rating at Pensacola about the same time on 17 April 1917 he would have flown in it.

Cliff

CORBIN, Roland Earl

Born: 18 Sep.1893 in Dundee, MI; Retired: South Hero, VT 1969.

Education: University of Michigan - 1 year

Military Service: U.S. Navy: April 30, 1917- September 30, 1921 (Rank: Ensign USNR)

Ratings: Heavier-Than-Air and Lighter-Than-Air Balloon & Airship training at Akron, OH & Naval Air Station-Pensacola, FL; FAI-ACA Balloon License #595 issued 17 April 1917; Naval Aviator #621.

----------------------------- :unsure:

Cliff,

Thanks, great pic of the airship. Must have been a boring mission putting along in one of those.

Russ,

I had Ens Corbin's complete uniform and this extra wing, but since I don't collect Navy, moved the uniform along about a year ago. Attached is pic of the tunic. I hung onto the wing since it was unique and I had never seen one like it before. I could only speculate that the Airship pilots might have gone this route to distinguish themselves from the other pilots.

Terry

post-6022-1301802401.jpg

cszakolczai
Cliff,

Thanks, great pic of the airship. Must have been a boring mission putting along in one of those.

Russ,

I had Ens Corbin's complete uniform and this extra wing, but since I don't collect Navy, moved the uniform along about a year ago. Attached is pic of the tunic. I hung onto the wing since it was unique and I had never seen one like it before. I could only speculate that the Airship pilots might have gone this route to distinguish themselves from the other pilots.

Terry

Sir your stuff always amazes me. I swear the items you have or have had in your collection are just mind blowing. Add this picture to the list of items which make you go, "holy smoke I never woulda expected to see it"

John Cooper

Please dont stop posting individual close ups Russ this is a fantastic learning experience.

Cheers

John

John Cooper

Kurt & Jason thanks for the wonderful additions to this thread. As for dating your wings Jason I hope someone can help.

Cheers

John

Here's two that I bought a few weeks ago.

Can anyone date these?

First one...

scan0022.jpg

scan0023.jpg

Jason

Jason, you've posted a couple of nice WWII era bullion wings. I believe your first example was produced from the mid 1930's thru early WWII. Your second wing appears to be a solid WWII example.

Jason, you've posted a couple of nice WWII era bullion wings. I believe your first example was produced from the mid 1930's thru early WWII. Your second wing appears to be a solid WWII example.

Thanks Russ! I appreciate the help!

Jason