M-445 Navy Jacket that belonged to ace Floyd C. Kirkpatrick

bazelot

I lucked out on my last M-445 jacket purchase. The listing did not say but it was named to Ace Floyd C. Kirkpatrick. Kirkpatrick was the CO of VMF-441 at Okinawa. On April the 15th he shot down 3 Vals. He was an ace by the end of May and finished the war with 5.5 kills.

THis jacket is in great condition with no tears and if it was my size it could be worn. THe shearling is still amazingly strong (especially at the shoulders were they usually blow up) and there is just some loss of dye on the lower front right of the jacket but it is just cosmetic (I wonder why there was so much wear on this section of the jacket, any ideas). The pictures can be deceiving as it looks like the shearling is cracked but it's not, the finish is just wearing off.

This truly an outstanding jacket and the fact that it was owned by an ace makes a lot more special.

Picture121.jpg

Picture109-1.jpg

Picture101-2.jpg

Picture106-1.jpg

M4458.jpg

pararaftanr2

Hi Bazelot,

That is an outstanding acquisition, and from an ace to boot! Congratulations. I'm curious if the vintage photos you posted came with the jacket, or if not, you can share their source? Some very interesting gear on display there. In the group shot, the pilot top center is William Eldridge who's sporting a killer rigger made vest.

post-9787-1300071805.jpg

Thanks for your help, Paul

Hi Bazelot,

That is an outstanding acquisition, and from an ace to boot! Congratulations. I'm curious if the vintage photos you posted came with the jacket, or if not, you can share their source? Some very interesting gear on display there. In the group shot, the pilot top center is William Eldridge who's sporting a killer rigger made vest.

post-9787-1300071805.jpg

Thanks for your help, Paul

Thanks Paul. I really lucked out with this one as the auction did not state the name and I got the jacket for a good price. I got the pictures from the web. Some came from this website:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47751/messa...als+WIP++part+1

Others were found on chat rooms. I need to dig more into the history of Kirkpatrick.

I love the group picture and the hodgepodge of equipment. THey flew with almost anything they wanted :)

Hi Baz!

Glad You got more info about owner of the jacket and the price was amazing !!!! Im curiosity why fighter plane pilot used a winter jacket not M422a or AN6552?

Condition is the best for me, used but still good!

Paul, jacket is great but photo of VMF-441 is killer one ! WOW! It is first photo where I can see the SHARK CHASER in using.

And the rigger made survival vest is neat item. I also noticed probably a late war USMC type ammo pouch for .45 Colt 1911 or M1 Carabine magazine at William Eldridge belt...

Regards,

Jerry

• 2 months later...
flight helmets 522
M4456.jpg

M4455.jpg

M4454.jpg

M4453.jpg

M4452.jpg

What a great jacket! I saw one like it in a musem a while back. They had it displayed with an Army Air Corps display and had it lables as a B-3 jacket. When I tried to share with them that it was wrong, they discounted my statement. Thanks for sharing.

Phil.