Grenade recommendations

TheGrayGhost

TheGrayGhost

Looking for recommendations for MkII grenades to use during battles, both private and public. I have seen a few different options, rubber grenades with flags, polyurethane foam, really hokey plastic smoke bombs, cast iron if you want to kill someone. But I haven't found anything that I really like.

What do you all use?

son of desertrat

I know ive talked to some reenacters and they made a mold of the grenades and made a solid rubber one. They looked really good. I cant find hte picture though or remeamber hte guys name but he is a member of hte forum.

Keenan

When I got into re-enacting in the south, the events I was at had to have grenades that actually exploded to be counted at all. Most people put low charges of black powder with inert filler around it in a film can with a fuse out of the top. You had to set one off between your own feet (picked at random by the safety officer) to prove it was a light load. That kept everyone honest, never had any issues with anything harmful like that.

Man, how times have changed. I never even heard of a rubber greande or rules that where it bounced it "went off" until many years into the hobby.

When I got into re-enacting in the south, the events I was at had to have grenades that actually exploded to be counted at all. Most people put low charges of black powder with inert filler around it in a film can with a fuse out of the top. You had to set one off between your own feet (picked at random by the safety officer) to prove it was a light load. That kept everyone honest, never had any issues with anything harmful like that.

Man, how times have changed. I never even heard of a rubber greande or rules that where it bounced it "went off" until many years into the hobby.

We had the same thing. We even went through a lot of "recipes" to see what we liked best. But the normal was either the corner of a sandwich baggy filled with black powder and taped up tight, put inside a 35mm film can with the lid taped shut and a fuse length of your choice. This made a nice loud report with a tiny little mushroom cloud, or we just put about a teaspoon of black powder in a film can then tape it up. Those usually just went poof and made a larger mushroom cloud. By a larger mushroom cloud I mean about 4 feet tall..

You know, that story puts a whole different light on your one armed avatar!

TheGrayGhost

Is nobody make these black powder grenades anymore?

I guess that is why I have not been satisfied with the options I have found. I am looking for something with a nice report and smoke. My experience so far with battlefield grenades has been limited and usually ending up in a pissing match because somebody doesn't know a grenade was thrown or where it went off. That is why I would like to find or make something to remove a little more debate. Not to mention being more fun than throwing an odd shaped rubber ball!

Since I haven't found anything I like, I have been seriously considering going the home brew route. I would be interested to hear what kind of "recipes" some guys came up with. Any experience with making smoke grenades?

Back in the good old days, we would just use hand grenade simulators. You know, small cardboard tubes that really went bang. I remember dropping an artillery simulator Dennis' M-20 " In the Mood"...... they wondered what that whistle was for a few seconds.....that really rang the crews bells...those were the days when we could drive vehicles off the roads with the infantry riding the tanks and tracks and not be concerned about the butterflies.....we dugs foxholes & latrines; camped out overnight, built campfires with real wood and ate Vietnam periods rations.... I'm much more politically correct now :thumbsup:

Regards,

SteveT

We made the same thing but we put baby powder in the canister also. Made the battlefield smell nice! Plus the enemy couldn't deny the hit with baby powder on him.

Ray

We made the same thing but we put baby powder in the canister also. Made the battlefield smell nice! Plus the enemy couldn't deny the hit with baby powder on him.

Ray

I've used small plastic juice bottles. They are from Jugs or Hugs juice. They sort of look like the right size and shape. Some of us also use plastic easter eggs. When using a filler DO NOT use sand or some other substance that can penetrate skin. Also use a non flammable filler. We use baking soda. (Or is it baking powder? I can never keep them straight.) I believe a search through google or the WW2 reenactor forum can provide a recipe or two.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

I tried re-enacting in the late 1970s, hated seeing all the good stuff getting trashed, almost all the gear was real, except for the German uniforms. At a battle near St. Louis the 1st SS was defending a building and all kinds of Cherry Bombs and M-80s came flying in the windows and door. A grenade simulator was tossed in, BOOM, and dust came up from the floor and cement chunks came down from the ceiling. My ears rang the rest of the day.

I missed being in the service so I joined the National Guard and got paid to play Army and didn't have to buy all my gear.

AirborneGrunt

You might want to try Adams Ordinance. They make some really great display grenades, and the price is not to bad. Years ago I did find great throwing grenades from Armorcast, bought a bunch, but I do believe they are no longer in business, :(