aides-to-camp officer collar badges (branch)

P-E

Here's my favorites officers collar Branch badges for aides-to-camp.

post-5589-0-47379300-1400790611.jpg

Here's informations about them from wikipedia :

"Within the United States Army, aides-de-camp are specifically appointed to general-grade officers (NATO Code OF-6 through OF-10), the Secretary of the Army, Secretary of Defense, Vice President, and President of the United States; rank and number determined by the grade. For those general officers with more than one aide, the senior-ranking aide is usually considered to be the senior aide and serves in the capacity of coordinating the other aides and the others of the general’s personal staff such as the driver, orderlies, etc... For the majority officers, the maximum tour of duty for aides is generally two years.

The following is a listing of the accepted number of aides allotted a general officer:

Brigadier General (1 star) : 1 First Lieutenant
Major General (2 stars) : 1 Captain; 1 Lieutenant
Lieutenant General (3 stars) : 1 Major; 1 Captain
General: 1 Lieutenant Colonel (4 stars), 1 Major, 1 Captain
General of the Army / Chief of Staff (5 stars): 1 Colonel, 1 Lieutenant Colonel, 1 Major [deactivated since WW2]

Lieutenant Colonels and Colonels commanding units (battalions and brigades, respectively) do not have aides, but it is generally accepted that the unit's adjutant (called the S-1) also serves the commanding officer as an aide.

At the Brigadier General level it is not uncommon to have a Captain as aide-de-camp.[citation needed]

In some circles of the U.S. military, an aide-de-camp is known as a dog-robber, because the aide is expected to rob anyone including the family dog, to get his general what he wants.

U.S. Army aides-de-camp wear a special device in place of the branch-of-service (i.e., infantry, artillery, quartermaster, etc.) insignia they would otherwise wear on the lapels of their service uniform. The rank of the official whom the aide serves is indicated on the device, as shown below. Although the Chief of Staff of the Army is a four-star general and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff is a four-star general or admiral, their aides-de-camp wear devices specific to those offices, vice the normal four-star aide device. See below. An aide-de-camp wears a special aiguillette on the shoulder of his dress uniforms
".

More information on this page : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aide-de-camp#United_States

Here's the only picture I found showing the cloth material badge of aide to Major General. It's worn by a Capitain (name unknown), attached to Major General Herb "Buzz" Altshuler Commanding General (Civil affairs and psychological operations command).

post-5589-0-31028200-1400790625.jpg

post-5589-0-15046800-1400790640.jpg

Here's other aide-to-senior. They are extremly rare to find and majorities of books about patches and badges forgot to mention them ! :P They are common in metal, but in cloth material they are extremly rare. I search them in desert for my collection, but was not able to find any of them...to bad ! :cry:

post-5589-0-58475100-1400790762.jpg

Curiously, there's both reversed and normal design. Nobody know why there's a reversed variant, because they are worn on Battle Dress Uniform and so, on collar they have one rank, and one officer collar badge...

Let my explain...on blue, green and white uniforms, they wear metal pinned badges. On collar they have both reversed and normal design and ranks are pinned on shoulders :

post-5589-0-37838200-1400790779.jpg

But for combat uniforms, it's another regulation : they wear rank and MOS (Military occupational speciality) on collar.

post-5589-0-33993600-1400790795.jpg

So I don't know why it exists reversed badges. It's the same for Psychological Operations badges (as the pair Mercenary owns). I don't know the reason why we can find reversed design, because they are not worn on combat uniforms...and they are well original !

Note : schemas of combat and green/white/blue uniforms come from Army Regulation 670-1 ("Wear and appearance of Army uniforms and insignias"). I permit me to reuse their pictures and modify them to show the position of aides-to-camp badges. Army Regulation 670-1 can be downloaded here : http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r670_1.pdf

• 9 months later...

Here are the one I've (without the aides to the Generals I all have in both woodland and desert) :

post-5589-0-79272800-1400791139.jpg

First row : 5 aides to the Under-Secretary of the Army

Second row, from left to right : Aide to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, 3 aides to the Secretary of the Army (last one is ~70 era in cotton material), Aide to the Army Chief of Staff (reversed), Aide to the Army Chief of Staff (normal)

Third row, from left to right : Aide to the Army Chief of Staff, 2 Aides to the Army Vice-Chief of Staff, Aide to the Secretary of Defense (~70 era in cotton material) and finaly Aide to the President / Under-President (~70 era in cotton material).

As you can see, there're a few I've in double :
- aides to the Under-Secretary of the Army
- aides to the Secretary of the Army
- aides to the Army Vice-Chief of Staff

I can trade my doubles for other aides insignia that miss me. So if you have any for trade, please pm me !

And please post yours to complete this topic !

I also want to tell that a member of our forum made a realy interesting file with some informations about these aides insignia. You can read and download the file here : http://www.scribd.com/doc/68934446/U-S-Army-Aide-de-Camp

craig_pickrall

I don't know how but I missed this when first posted. It is a well done display. Thanks for posting.

• 2 years later...

Captain Moore, Central Command, Aide-de-camp to Major General. Ranger tab, master parachutist badge, Air Assault badge, expert infantryman badge, subdued brown flag. Every insignia, except the name and branch tape and the CentCom insignia looks foreign / theater made.

dsc01513.jpg

dsc01514.jpg

dsc01517.jpg

dsc01522.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In order to complete this topic about aide-de-camp insignia, here's a link to an article written by William K. Emerson, the author of the famous book "Encyclopedia of United States Army Insignia and Uniforms" : http://emersoninsignia.net/files/Download/18AidesInsig.pdf

Here's a picture I made displaying the existing aide-de-camp insignia :

office10.jpg

Please note that recently two new ones were created :

1) Insignia for an aide to the Vice Chief of the National Guard Bureau

branch10.jpg

2) Insignia for an aide to the Chief of the National Guard Bureau

branch11.jpg

source : http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Catalog/HeraldryList.aspx?CategoryId=9145&grp=2&menu=Uniformed Services

And here's another aide-de-camp insignia I found recently. This one was worn by the Captain Blaine, when he was an aide-to-brigadier general of the XVIII Airborne Brigade.

dsc05110.jpg
dsc05111.jpg

I'm not 100% certain, but I've id'ed him as Major Raymond Blaine :

MAJ Blaine was commissioned as a Signal Officer upon graduating as a member of the United States Military Academy's bicentennial class in 2002. His assignments include a variety of duty positions in the 82nd Airborne Division and 18th Airborne Corps at Fort Bragg, N. C. He most recently served as the Company Commander for HHC, 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment. He also has served two tours in Operation Iraqi Freedom and one tour in Operation Enduring Freedom, as a Contingency Communication Platoon (CCP) Leader, Aide-de-Camp to the Chief of Staff MNC-I, and as S6 for 2-508 PIR respectively. He is a graduate of the Signal Officers Basic Course, Signal Captains Career Course, BDE/BN S6 Course, Airborne School, Jumpmaster School, and the Combat Diver Qualification Course.

Recent Positions :

• 20012-Present: Instructor, Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
  • 2008-2009: Company Commander, HHC, 508th PIR, 82nd Airborne Division
  • 2006-2008: S6, 2nd Battalion, 508th PIR, 82nd Airborne Division
  • 2004-2006: Aide-de-Camp Chief of Staff XVIII Airborne Corps and Multi-National Corps Iraq
  • 2002-2004: Contingency Communications Platoon (CCP) Leader, C. Co, 82nd Signal Battalion, 82nd Airborne Division

http://www.westpoint.edu/eecs/_layouts/wpFacultyBios/DisplayBio.aspx?ID=3a5b4642-e647-444a-a16d-d332d36aa606&List=f5e1151c-c15d-420c-b0fa-7919e148c1b7

Raymond Blaine was commissioned a Signal Officer and recently became a Cyber Officer. His assignments include a variety of duty positions at Fort Bragg, N. C. He also has served two tours in OIF and one tour in OEF, as a Platoon Leader, Aide-de-Camp to the Chief of Staff MNC-I, and as S6 for 2-508 PIR respectively. He is an Assistant Professor at USMA.

http://static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static/f/702523/26643123/1446419293493/201511-Ramirez.pdf?token=NZvUhrc93eEjDa7buT7vQqUbvYs%3D

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Recently got a few more....

one nice and unusual variant :

p2_cop10.jpg

As well as three old theater made aide-to-general officers :

p3_cop18.jpg

p3_cop17.jpg

p3_cop16.jpg

To the surplus, I also got those aide-to-president (and vice-president ?). We discussed about them with Michael, but we cannot if they are fakes, foreign made, real...the cloth material is lighter and have a lighter coloration.

aide_t10.jpgaide_t11.jpg

back10.jpg

Two theater made :

p27_co11.jpgp27_co10.jpg

And last one...an extremly rare Aide-to-the Army Chief of Staff that was WORN :love:

p2910.jpg

It was in a 1984 dated envelope. Cotton material (older than new nylon material)

easterneagle87

Very awesome subject!! Just a another rabbit hole to venture down in collecting!!! Sooo cool!

Must...not...begin...any..new... subjects... :wacko::rolleyes:

• 4 years later...