14th Pennsylvania Cavalry (159th Volunteer Regiment)

egreis

I am looking for letters, diaries, memoirs, relics and descendents of the 14th Pennsylvania Cavalry. I am particularly interested in images of this unit as I have been unable to find any.

My great great grandfather Albert Burrell served as a Corporal in Company C of the 14th Pennsylvania Cavalry (159th Volunteer Regiment). He served from Jan 1864 - August 1865.

The 14th took part in the Valley Campaign of 1864. Albert Burrell was wounded during the campaign at the Battle of New Market and the Battle of Liberty Mills. The wound he received at Liberty Mills entitled him to a pension which he received for the rest of his life. At the end of the war the 14th PVC was sent west. That is where Burrell was discharged from. He was briefly a member of Pittsburgh GAR Post #230, Thomas H. Childs Post.

I have a complete paper record from his birth certificate to his death notice. I also have both unit histories. The comprehensive history "The Fourteenth Pennsylvania Volunteer Cavarly in the Civil War" written by fellow Company C member William D. Slease (Burrell is mentioned here twice once as Albert Burrell and once as Abbot Burrow) and "Co. A 14th Penn. Cavalry" by G.H. Mowrer.

The 14th had two Medal of Honor winners amongst its ranks and held the dubious nickname "The Barn Burners." It was a detachment from this unit that put VMI and Lexington, VA to torch.

I know an image of Burrell existed and was owned by a family friend but was lost when that friend died. Also I know he brought his saber back from the war and that it was in the family until the 1930s when it was stolen. The prospect of its return I know is zero so I have spent my time putting together a comprehensive record of Burrell's service as well as the unit's history instead. The only thing I lack is an image of Albert Burrell and images of the 14th PVC.

The picture below may or may not be of Burrell. The man fits his physical description and is noted as my grandmother's grandfather (which Burrell would have been). However the notation said that the picture was taken when my grandmother was 5. Burrell was dead four years when my grandmother was born. It could be the person that wrote the label got it wrong.

The only clue is the engine house behind the men. The inscription reads Engine House No. Forty. I have been unable to find that Engine House in Pittsburgh or any possible roster of men who worked there.

Burrell returned to Pittsburgh after the war and lived in the Crafton section of Pittsburgh the rest of his life.