591st Engineer Boat Regiment/2756th Engineer Combat Battalion

egreis

I am looking for information, images, memoirs, diaries, letters, relics, descendants and veterans of the 591st Engineer Boat Regiment later redesignated the 2756th Engineer Combat Regiment.

This unit was involved in the landings at Oran, NA and fought throughtout the rest of the war in the ETO.

My great uncle Sylvester J. Hergenroeder served as a Tech 5, light truck driver with Headquarters and Headquarters Company. I never met him though I have some items from him. I never knew much on his unit until recently but there is much more to learn I am sure.

There is a wonderful book on the unit "History of the 591st Engineer Boat Regiment" by Thomas L. Allen and a few photos on the internet but I would like to put together as complete a story on the unit as I can. I would be especially interested in meeting a veteran of the unit particularly in and around the Pittsburgh area.

Hello

My Great Cousin Was Pfc. Vincent P Callahan Co C. 2756th Eng. combat Batt. Died non battle in Apr 1945 By GSW to the Head

Was killed when to GIs were fighting over / Messing with German pistol And it went off Killing him ! He was writing a letter home family was told!

He went all the way to germany to die this way!!

I have a photo of him . i will have to get it at my dads house ! not much info other than Good conduct medal , American campaign medal , ETO medal 1 bronze battle star

The man on the left is Frank A. Steele, 591st EBR, in training at Camp Edwards, Massachusetts in 1942. He later served in 4th Ranger Battalion and FSSF. The identity of the Tech Sgt is unknown.

post-8076-1300026142.jpg

Thanks for the replies. Scott, that is a tragic story about your great cousin. Thanks for sharing it. I look forward to seeing the artifacts you have from him.

Blkjack07 is Frank Steele a relative? He certainly has a very GI name.

Blkjack07 is Frank Steele a relative?

Well, yes, I guess so, sort of ... he was my wife's grandmother's second husband. Does that count? :blink:

Well, yes, I guess so, sort of ... he was my wife's grandmother's second husband. Does that count? :blink:

I think it counts. Thanks again for sharing.

• 8 months later...

Finally found this at my parents house My Great cousin

sorry a bit late Replacement medals and grave photo of Vincent P Callahan Died non battle

From moring reports and IDPF He was Killed by a GSW to the head ! two GIs fighting for a war trophy (pistol) 2 GI held on charges but can find nothing on what happened to them?

post-620-1323482167.jpg

post-620-1323482179.jpg

• 5 years later...
NPascuzzi

Hello! My great uncle, Louis Glasser, served as a supply clerk with the 591st Engineer Boat Regiment then with the redesignated 2756th Engineer Combat Battalion. Like your great uncle, he landed in Oran and served throughout the rest of the war in Europe, finally being discharged in September 1945.

He passed several years before I was born, so unfortunately I never met the man. I did however come across a box of his belongings in my grandfather’s garage, containing patches, ribbons, photos, papers, souvenirs, etc.

I’m currently in the process of scanning these photos and documents and would be happy to post them here!

• 6 years later...

I’ve been acquiring a large grouping belonging to Lt Theodore Henry Engel, who served with the 2756th. I’ll post some pictures here when it arrives, it mostly consists of hundreds of letters.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/10/2011 at 11:13 AM, egreis said:

post-3477-1299773530.jpg

2756th ECB Bridging Operations

post-3477-1299773556.jpg

Unidentified Soldiers

I actually have a photo of these guys.

IMG_2476.jpeg

IMG_2477.jpeg