Ladies Underwear

willy q

post-344-1299925031.jpg

Cont ...............

Catalog page showing shoes, I had most of these in stock occasionaly the nurses white shoes but never found any ' shoes, felt, women's ' doubt if they would have been a big seller anyway as they wouldn't have been worn with dress uniform which all the female re-enactors use, can't find the corresponding sales images at present.

lewis

Hi, so am I understanding this right, that you sell some of this stuff or have a sorce for it as I'd be interested in the shoes on top and I need the blouse and neckercheif as well. Thanks

General Apathy
Hi, so am I understanding this right, that you sell some of this stuff or have a sorce for it as I'd be interested in the shoes on top and I need the blouse and neckercheif as well. Thanks

Hi Willy, Thanks for your interest but sorry I can't help you now I closed the store four years back, apologies I didn't use the correct phrase in post # 20, I stated ' when I ran my store ' perhaps I should have been more clear with my post ' before I closed my store ' :crying:

Good luck with the search for your collection, sorry I can't be of help to you. ;)

lewis

Text from post # 20

Hi Craig, once again you have successfully dropped me in it again, yes when I ran my store I had some quantity of women's garments both outer and underwear but mostly WAAC, WAC and Women's garments, Navy stuff just didn't turn up only ever as footlocker groupings I suppose because of the difference in serving members.

craig_pickrall

Thanks Ken I knew you would know. Is it correct that you only bought the garments in your size?

General Apathy
Thanks Ken I knew you would know. Is it correct that you only bought the garments in your size?

Craig, thar ya go agin with yar preverted mind , you state that I might be able to help on this subject and then you bite me. :crying:

Besides if you had read what I stated above, I only had the stuff in larger sizes and couldn't find the smaller stuff. :lol::lol:

ken

Craig, thar ya go agin with yar preverted mind , you state that I might be able to help on this subject and then you bite me. :crying:

Besides if you had read what I stated above, I only had the stuff in larger sizes and couldn't find the smaller stuff. :lol::lol:

ken

Hi Ken, I have a new question, someone replyed on the uniform itself and said the bottons are wrong would you happen to know if their right?

General Apathy

post-344-1300052059.jpg

Hi Ken, I have a new question, someone replyed on the uniform itself and said the bottons are wrong would you happen to know if their right?

Hi Willy, hard to see from your first photo but they do appear too light in color, also wrong shape and possibly civilian. If I recall correctly WAVE officers had gold buttons with anchor design, the enlisted women's was a flat dark blue almost black button with an anchor design embedded in it.

ken

Hi Ken, I have a new question, someone replied on the uniform itself and said the buttons are wrong would you happen to know if their right?

The buttons are correct. Early enlisted WAVES jackets had flat 4-holed dark blue buttons. Here is a photograph of one such jacket being worn.

post-5589-0-60710500-1400205542.jpg

The buttons are correct. Early enlisted WAVES jackets had flat 4-holed dark blue buttons. Here is a photograph of one such jacket being worn.

KGrHqZlgE1F4lVTZcBNe98wW2i0_3.jpg

Thanks, it didn't make sence to me that they would have been changed since I got this from her sister not a shop/flea market. any idea as to what the small bottons are for on the inside?

Thanks, it didn't make sence to me that they would have been changed since I got this from her sister not a shop/flea market. any idea as to what the small bottons are for on the inside?

Are they directly behind the outside buttons? If st they are to stabalize the larger buttons and to keep them from pulling off.

Steve Hesson

Are they directly behind the outside buttons? If st they are to stabalize the larger buttons and to keep them from pulling off.

Steve Hesson

Thanks, Yes they are, I had a feeling it was something like that since there only on one side.

• 2 weeks later...

Really nice imagery thanks for posting that

post-344-1299924606.jpg

Cont ...............

One of my sales images for the ' panties, women's, winter ', can't find the slips images at present.

lewis

Who woulda thunk ladies underwear would get so much interest on the forum? LOL! :thumbsup:

For a bunch of guys I can understand...now if we were obsessed with men's underwear....hmmmmmmm ;)

Before this thread slides down the slippery slope of sleaze and stupidity (sorry, too late) we need to take pause here. This is a serious topic from a historical and collecting standpoint, and I believe that we cannot apply 1950-60-70-80's or current norms. There were officially tagged and issued WAVE undergarments. Also, if you put a Wave grouping next to a sailors uniform grouping you will quickly notice that the Govt,s approach was very different with the WAVES compared to the average sailor. Lets take a step back and see were this thread takes us, lets see pictures of issue items with official tags. I know I have ruffled some feathers here but this could become a useful and informative thread.

John

OK, getting back to the point of this thread...I know that there were "Officially Tagged and Issued" undergarments to the point that tags read along the lines of "Made Exclusively for (fill in service), or "Official (fill in service). To me, that does not constitute what I know as an "Issue" item. In my life, an Issue item is an item that is produced under contract by the government, has a gov't contract number or other standard identifying tag (Naval Clothing FActory), and then is tossed to/at an individual as they pass through the clothing issue line at recruit training by a bored and careless supply type. These items are available through the supply system and sold through (in the Navy) Small Stores (no lonoger available) or (in the Army) Cash Sales or what ever system was in place to retail standard Government issue items to individuals for replacement of standard issue items.

Having a tag that reads "Made exclusively for (fill in service) or some such does not identily an "Issue" item, but rather an item which was made comercially and adhears to minimum (at least, though usually better) government standards and is sold through what ever "Exchange" system is/was available.

Now, I have no ruffleld feathers, but sometimes "Collector Speak" confuses me. Such as the term "Tailor Made" While ther were of course tailor made uniforms, tho overwhelming vast majority of those ID'd as such were realy commercially made and sold in shops. They may have been altered a bit at purchase, but not specifically "Tailr Made". In that case, the individual would have gone into a tailor shop (Like "Pinky's in Hong Kong) gotten measured, gone back a few days later to check fit and then picked up thier garments a few days after that. Or, "Theater Made", which I now understand is anything that is not specifically made by the gov't. For things like Navy Jacket patches, that would be all of them as the Navy never had any produced. It has always been up to the individual command to purchase them locally or through a company such as "Vanguard", rather than through the supply system. So, It could be that I jsut don't understand the terminology.

At this point, while Ken has shown that "Second Layer" items were available through the Gov't system, I think the original question had to do with the "Base Foundation" layer. I have never heard of any Female military members who were "Issued Goverment Issue" undergarments Like Males were. Not saying they wern't, just saying I've never heard of that. If it was so, That would be great. I'm just seeking knowledge. There is only one WW 2 WAVE Vet left in our area, and while I enjoyed talking to her about her time in the Navy, I'm not going to ask about her underwear (she's 85, and that's just creepy, sorry).

Steve Hesson

The previously posted images are of WAC, and ANC undergarments. The same garments were not issued by the USN or the USMC. The WAC and ANC actually did have formally issued panties, they were nicknamed "thrill kills" and notoriously ill fitting and disliked. I have a pair in a grouping of mine and they are huge and shapeless. Getting back to the USN, I have heard and read veterans accounts from WAVES and and USMCWR members stating that they had to purchase their own panties, bras, and girdles/garters. Slips are a little less clear, they were definately supplemented by private purchased ones. In one account of a WR she discusses that the women dating officers (despite it being an offense that could have gotten them kicked out of the USMCWR) were easy to spot in the barracks because the first thing their officer boyfriends did was buy them a fancy black silk slip.

-Sarah

fortworthgal
The previously posted images are of WAC, and ANC undergarments. The same garments were not issued by the USN or the USMC. The WAC and ANC actually did have formally issued panties, they were nicknamed "thrill kills" and notoriously ill fitting and disliked. I have a pair in a grouping of mine and they are huge and shapeless. Getting back to the USN, I have heard and read veterans accounts from WAVES and and USMCWR members stating that they had to purchase their own panties, bras, and girdles/garters. Slips are a little less clear, they were definately supplemented by private purchased ones. In one account of a WR she discusses that the women dating officers (despite it being an offense that could have gotten them kicked out of the USMCWR) were easy to spot in the barracks because the first thing their officer boyfriends did was buy them a fancy black silk slip.

-Sarah

Sarah is correct - WAC & ANC were issued undergarments. In several books I have at home, there are firsthand accounts of how ill-fitting and disliked the undergarments were. One WAC couldn't figure out how to put on the issue panties because they weren't like anything she had owned in civilian life. :blink: I own a couple of WAC issued undergarments, and several civilian period items as well. The civilian items are much prettier!

To the best of my knowledge, WAVES & WRs were never issued undergarments. I have never read anything - either in personal accounts or official documents - to suggest otherwise.

One WAC couldn't figure out how to put on the issue panties because they weren't like anything she had owned in civilian life. :blink:

That's funny because I have a pair of the panties and I cannot figure out which side is the front and which is the back :) I'm glad to know it was a problem then too.

-Sarah

That's funny because I have a pair of the panties and I cannot figure out which side is the front and which is the back :) I'm glad to know it was a problem then too.

-Sarah

thanks,

So there must have been a guide line that they had, dose anyone have that guide line? and Black slip? I would have thought for sure all items would have had to have been white ?

Who woulda thunk ladies underwear would get so much interest on the forum? LOL! :thumbsup:

got your attention, LOL :D

dogfacedsoldier

I talked to my mother this weekend and she confirmed the issue underwear just weren't worn, that they used their own or bought new ones. She did state they used the slips. Mom also said the shoes were called "Minnie Snerds", not the boots, but the low heel shoes, I don't know if this was who manufactured them, or what Wacs called them. not many liked the Hobby Hat also, much preferred the overseas style cap. the purse she said was the best item and highly popular. Her co in basic at Ft. Oglethorpe was Lt. Mary Ann Grallo, who is pictured in Shelby Stanton's book.

Jon

• 2 months later...
market garden

Here is the womans undergarments from my USMCWR trunk grouping of Edna Henry.http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21126

post-510-1308950961.jpg

post-510-1308950990.jpg

post-510-1308951012.jpg

post-510-1308951032.jpg

I talked to my mother this weekend and she confirmed the issue underwear just weren't worn, that they used their own or bought new ones. She did state they used the slips. Mom also said the shoes were called "Minnie Snerds", not the boots, but the low heel shoes, I don't know if this was who manufactured them, or what Wacs called them. not many liked the Hobby Hat also, much preferred the overseas style cap. the purse she said was the best item and highly popular. Her co in basic at Ft. Oglethorpe was Lt. Mary Ann Grallo, who is pictured in Shelby Stanton's book.

Jon

Thanks for the info

Willy Q.

Here is the womans undergarments from my USMCWR trunk grouping of Edna Henry.http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21126

Thanks, I have a pretty good idea what I need now.

Willy Q.

I know this for a basic fact's when we do barrack searchs on the female's the late 70's to the late 80's they where allowed to put there stuff on the bed after we had gone through it and it was a mixture of civ & military stuff in the way of underwear & bra's and other female clothing ..

Those search's was the fast i have ever done in my life because of one comment made by a female LT who was in charge of the barrack and office's for the women and other male personal .She goes if your mother only knew what you where doing right now with women undergrament would she be proud of you ..She was laughing the whole time when we where makeing faces as we searched the room.

the Female Mp where searching the women and we got the room's with one officer to a search team ..We where four people to a search team .1-female Mp 1-officer -2-male MP 1-recorder to write down want we would find in the place ..