Modified USMC BDU jacket - Spec Ops?

MWalsh

Here on the Forum I have seen the posts showing the various modified DCU jackets, they seem to have pockets sewn onto the arms.

Yesterday I came across this USMC BDU jacket. I cannot date it with certainty due to the tags being too washed out, but I can say it is post-Gulf War because it has shadowing where it once had name and USMC tapes on it. Its nicely done, the pockets added to the arms are top pockets from a different BDU jacket / blouse. The pocket sewn to the left arm has the eagle, globe, & anchor transfer on it still.

I bought this because it is the first and only one I have ever seen. Anyone know what's up with it? This a unit done thing, a Recon thing, or what?

Thanks!

MW

post-440-1299712691.jpg

post-440-1299712698.jpg

I have ONE USMC modified BDU and from what I was told they are either Recon or Force Recon. Now.....I have been collecting modified jackets for 12 years and have handled many. I have only seen one modified BDU that was positively Marine used and it now hangs in my "war room". GREAT find!!!!

Arch

IIRC the ripstop woodlands came out about 1987. The USMC was dropped from the pocket emblem and name and service tapes added sometime after the Gulf War in 1991. So that would have been modded after my time in the Corps. Could be done by a Marine, but I am pretty certain none of the Recon or Force Recon guys I worked with in 1988 through 1989 ever did any thing like that that I can remember. And in Kuwait we all had the "chocolate chips" desert camoflage, and I don't recall them being modded either. Maybe some Jarhead who served after 1991 can shed some light on it.

Semper Fi, Rob

IIRC the ripstop woodlands came out about 1987. The USMC was dropped from the pocket emblem and name and service tapes added sometime after the Gulf War in 1991. So that would have been modded after my time in the Corps. Could be done by a Marine, but I am pretty certain none of the Recon or Force Recon guys I worked with in 1988 through 1989 ever did any thing like that that I can remember. And in Kuwait we all had the "chocolate chips" desert camoflage, and I don't recall them being modded either. Maybe some Jarhead who served after 1991 can shed some light on it.

Semper Fi, Rob

This would definitely be a post-1991 modification.