eBay - Vietnam Era USN Jet Pilots Survival Knife Camillus 1967

Bushmaster

Good Grief! I have a mint one, from the same time, 3/67. Hummm! Checked out the bidding, kinda interesting. SKIP

I wonder how much of this is people in other parts of the world who don't have the kind of access to Vietnam era items as we do in the US? It doesn't make sense to me to see an item like this go this high and other rarer items being passed up. It’s some kind of comment on the market place. I’m still not quite sure what it’s saying. :think:

When I looked at the bid history I have to admit that I'm not catching the suspicious part. I see different buyers entering and placing their bid. Others making counter offers many times not being as high as a previous bidders maximum amount and others joining in as time went on. In the end it looks like there may have been as many as three or more who really wanted this item. :pinch:

I just sold a duel date (Blade and Pommel marked 1-1967) on Ebay for $71 and it is way rarer then this one. Can not understand this at all. Charlie

Nothing really suspicious here. One guy, u**b(76) came in early with a $40 bid, and a couple of big sellers (7**m, s**m, etc.) put in a little bid to test the waters and maybe set up an automatic bid. Then a second guy, v**j(4) (may be a new bidder or someone who reset his profile) bids up to $110 against several other bidders before hitting his final bid of $110 (looks like it his last bid was to protect his lead at $105 which was matched by another bid). Then one guy, a**o(45) puts in a $200 bid (he's really after the knife) and that knocks out v**j(4). The early bidder, u**b(76) then comes back in and bids up in increments to try to take the bid, but finally drops out at $160. One guy comes in and bids twice (under the $200 bid by a**o(45)) and gives up, and then the winner, c**e(279), comes in at the last second (5 seconds before close) and overbids a**o(45) at $202.50 (standard increment, we don't know how big his bid really was). Now is u**b(76) a shill? Don't think so because I've seen this bidding before; I suspect that u**b(76) went above what he wanted to pay in an effort to win, and realized that he was committing way too much money.

Is the knife worth $200 plus? Apparently to two bidders, a**o(45) and c**e(279). The rest of the bidders all gave up, and the heavy hitters that bid at the beginning never came back. It's a nice knife, so I hope the winner enjoys it. I don't think he will get his money back if he goes to resell it, however.

Leatherwringer
Nothing really suspicious here. One guy, u**b(76) came in early with a $40 bid, and a couple of big sellers (7**m, s**m, etc.) put in a little bid to test the waters and maybe set up an automatic bid. Then a second guy, v**j(4) (may be a new bidder or someone who reset his profile) bids up to $110 against several other bidders before hitting his final bid of $110 (looks like it his last bid was to protect his lead at $105 which was matched by another bid). Then one guy, a**o(45) puts in a $200 bid (he's really after the knife) and that knocks out v**j(4). The early bidder, u**b(76) then comes back in and bids up in increments to try to take the bid, but finally drops out at $160. One guy comes in and bids twice (under the $200 bid by a**o(45)) and gives up, and then the winner, c**e(279), comes in at the last second (5 seconds before close) and overbids a**o(45) at $202.50 (standard increment, we don't know how big his bid really was). Now is u**b(76) a shill? Don't think so because I've seen this bidding before; I suspect that u**b(76) went above what he wanted to pay in an effort to win, and realized that he was committing way too much money.

Is the knife worth $200 plus? Apparently to two bidders, a**o(45) and c**e(279). The rest of the bidders all gave up, and the heavy hitters that bid at the beginning never came back. It's a nice knife, so I hope the winner enjoys it. I don't think he will get his money back if he goes to resell it, however.

That is how I read it also :thumbsup:

You may be right.

However, to me the following seems like someone has been trying to jack up the price:

Member Id: u***b( 76) US $160.00 Mar-08-11 18:16:21 PST

Member Id: u***b( 76) US $155.00 Mar-08-11 18:15:59 PST

Member Id: u***b( 76) US $150.00 Mar-08-11 18:15:36 PST

Member Id: u***b( 76) US $145.00 Mar-08-11 18:15:23 PST

Member Id: u***b( 76) US $140.00 Mar-08-11 18:14:44 PST

Member Id: u***b( 76) US $135.00 Mar-08-11 18:14:31 PST

Member Id: u***b( 76) US $130.00 Mar-08-11 18:14:04 PST

Member Id: u***b( 76) US $125.00 Mar-08-11 18:13:46 PST

Member Id: u***b( 76) US $120.00 Mar-08-11 18:13:27 PST

Member Id: u***b( 76) US $115.00 Mar-08-11 18:13:06 PST

You may be right.

However, to me the following seems like someone has been trying to jack up the price:

Member Id: u***b( 76) US $160.00 Mar-08-11 18:16:21 PST

Member Id: u***b( 76) US $155.00 Mar-08-11 18:15:59 PST

Member Id: u***b( 76) US $150.00 Mar-08-11 18:15:36 PST

Member Id: u***b( 76) US $145.00 Mar-08-11 18:15:23 PST

Member Id: u***b( 76) US $140.00 Mar-08-11 18:14:44 PST

Member Id: u***b( 76) US $135.00 Mar-08-11 18:14:31 PST

Member Id: u***b( 76) US $130.00 Mar-08-11 18:14:04 PST

Member Id: u***b( 76) US $125.00 Mar-08-11 18:13:46 PST

Member Id: u***b( 76) US $120.00 Mar-08-11 18:13:27 PST

Member Id: u***b( 76) US $115.00 Mar-08-11 18:13:06 PST

OK I may be wrong here but this is the way I see the above: u***b places a bid for approximately $160.00 + at 18:13:06 this trumps the standing bid and the posted amount is for $115.00 not the maximum amount that u***b bid. This is followed by more counter bids by one or more that don’t surpass u***b’s maximum amount so we see him as the maximum bidder without him having placed an additional bid. Maybe??? :rolleyes:

That is how I read it also :thumbsup:

+2. Also, I doubt any shilling bidding was going on as I have dealt with "koolstuff1958" on and off the auction circuit. Bob Smith (I know, suspicious in and of itself, but, it really is his name ;) ) is a good guy. I have always been pleased with what I have won on auction or purchased directly from him.

Tim

Still-A-Marine
+2. Also, I doubt any shilling bidding was going on as I have dealt with "koolstuff1958" on and off the auction circuit. Bob Smith (I know, suspicious in and of itself, but, it really is his name ;) ) is a good guy. I have always been pleased with what I have won on auction or purchased directly from him.

Tim

Agreed. He's a good guy.

Bill

Inexperienced bidders, which is what I think u**b(76) is, often try to find the maximum bid by bidding up in $5 increments. I often look at bids on something I am generally interested in so as to get a feel for its real value. Often I see two phenomena; the bidding war between two bidders that drives up the price unrealistically, and when someone places a significantly large early bid that makes other bidders try to figure out what the maximum bid is, also driving up the price. I'm surprised that a**o(45) didn't win the bid at $200; I suspect he was surprised that someone else would outbid him.

Sometimes you can pick up a really decent knife on ebay for a reasonable price, but occasionally the bids go out of sight. I noticed that someone already has a Viet Nam era pilots knife with a minimum bid/buy it now at $200. I suspect that we may see a fair number of them show up if sellers think that they can get $200 for what is traditionally been a $45-55 knife.

Inexperienced bidders, which is what I think u**b(76) is, often try to find the maximum bid by bidding up in $5 increments. I often look at bids on something I am generally interested in so as to get a feel for its real value. Often I see two phenomena; the bidding war between two bidders that drives up the price unrealistically, and when someone places a significantly large early bid that makes other bidders try to figure out what the maximum bid is, also driving up the price. I'm surprised that a**o(45) didn't win the bid at $200; I suspect he was surprised that someone else would outbid him.

Sometimes you can pick up a really decent knife on ebay for a reasonable price, but occasionally the bids go out of sight. I noticed that someone already has a Viet Nam era pilots knife with a minimum bid/buy it now at $200. I suspect that we may see a fair number of them show up if sellers think that they can get $200 for what is traditionally been a $45-55 knife.

Indeed.

• 4 weeks later...

I have this exact knife that I got from my Dad, who was a Navy carrier pilot from 1965-1978 or so (until eyes went bad and Navy had too many pilots). He did not fly combat missions in Viet Nam but was rather the ammunitions officer and was responsible for arming planes who-knows-how-many missions? Decent shape, nothing special. What would its appropriate value be?

With a decent (and original) sheath, in reasonably good condition, nothing special about it, somewhere between $45 to $55 (assuming it's the 5-inch blade with the date on the pommel). Pictures help.