Wings of Mystery

Jack's Son

I got these Wings in a grab-bag, and have no idea where they were made.

Could be theater made, backyard made, or even worse.

Anyone care to venture a guess??

post-8213-1299648490.jpgpost-8213-1299648498.jpg

Not very "pretty", perhaps theater made? are they full size?

Approx. 2 5/8" long....pretty close.

(there's that word again...pretty, not!)

Do they have "the feel" that it might be worth a trip to the jeweler for an acid test?

Do they have "the feel" that it might be worth a trip to the jeweler for an acid test?

I wouldn't go the jewelers just yet.

Something I just noticed while looking at them in the sunlight, there is a "ridge" that goes completely around the wing. Could this be due to a dull die??

The back of the wing looks like a poor casting job. If that were the case, why would there be a seam around the wing ??

The more you good folks look for answers, the more questions that come up!!

I would say that it is a casting.

On the third photo you posted, I believe I can notice the "ridge" you mention.

I do not believe that to be from any die-stamping process. Could be just casting flash. Almost sorta looks like it might be from a single cavity mold.

Do you notice any little grinds on the back from a sprue remnant that would indicate investment casting, instead?

Whoever made it would likely not have been concerned with the back detail much, regardless, and the face does look nicely detailed.

I would find it unlikely that somebody would go to the trouble of making a custom casting using pot-metal.

Does it have that kinda 'heavy' feel to it? A set of wings like that would lend itself toward the notion of precious metal.

Although: "All that glitters is not gold", and more questions remain, it sure looks interesting.

Weigh it on your reloading scale, then toss it in your wife's measuring cup filled with water, for the home made density test. :ermm: ;)

DSchlagan,

Thank you! Those are good thoughts, I'll have more to add about weight later.

I agree with you regarding the back of the wing, that's why I thought they may be theater made.

The front would be what is important, and that was done well

I agree with the cast, probably sandcast, method of reproduction. Maybe you should investigate the finish though - are you seeing basemetal or is that an anodised/plated finish? If the latter, how did they do that in the field? And if it is anodised, it's probably more recent. Another question, why would a Naval flyer, more than likely with an onboard PX, need a "theater-made" set of wings? Re any injection points, I think the massive bases of these clutch posts probably are the injection points - if not, they would be a perfect spot to hide them. Gut feeling, this is simply a cheap repro.

Regards

Mike

My brother in law is a dentist and he has cast things out of dental gold for people before. An acid test doesnt have to be destructive. They rub the wing on a stone and drop acid on the stone and see what happens!

Kurt

Mike,

I can't see any base metal, I agree with your logic regarding theater made if there is a plating involved.

The wing is so crudely made, why try to fake it!! It's more trouble then it's worth......this was in a $5.00 grab- bag??

Maybe a bunch of guys sitting around drinking beer and betting on who could make the best looking set of scrap metal wings!!

Kurt,

Looks like I will be off to the jeweler, or coin shop.

Thanks for the help gentlemen!

• 2 weeks later...

Theater made? Maybe "Grauman's Chinese Theatre" made! I agree with Mike...these are nothing more than cheaply made, recently produced costume wings that were cast from some light-weight metal alloy. No self-respecting Naval Aviator would consider wearing these wings.

Russ

How did the wings composition turn out BTW?

The wing weighed in at 1/2 oz.

I have not yet been to have it test for gold content.

• 3 weeks later...

Still interested in result of test.

One-half ounce seems kinda heavy for pot-metal-flash-coat? Or not?

Again, just interested! :)

I have bunch of these somewhere left over from my flea market/gun show days. I bought about 100 of these from Jerry Dooley about 20 years ago. Jerry Dooley from Connecticutt is well known in the Northeast as a wholesaler of leftover and surplus military and police insignia. I used to sell them for about 5 bucks apiece at flea markets and gun shows for people who wanted to decorate their leather jackets and didn't want to spend $35. on a real set of wings. Jerry probably had these made himself.

:lol: Finally got the wing into my local Coin and Jewelry shop. The owner rubbed it on a pad four times and began to drop a different solution on each spot. We laughed as each test came up negative of % of gold content. She wouldn't even go so far as to call the " gold substance" that coated the wing, a plating!! She had a less the kind word for it!

So, after all of the hopes, opinions and guesses, it comes down to what it is....A piece of junk. :pinch:

Thank you all for your thoughts about this wing, it was an education and fun. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...