CIDG Strike Force Printed Insignia

Bushmaster

Shown are photographs of the printed insignia of the Camp Strike Force and the Mobile Strike Force.

These patches have been heavily reproduced over the years.

I have heard that several repros did not have the same amount of ink used in the printing process as the originals had.

I have also heard that the ink often has bled through to the backside of the repros.

I have an example of these two patches that are puzzling me.

The ink, especially the green, has in fact bled a bit through to the backside on both these patches.

The green ink has also been smeared out a bit outside of the outline on the backside.

Is this common for the originals?

post-13801-1299638423.jpg

post-13801-1299638429.jpg

River Patrol

Yes. This is common among originals to see the green color "slop" over the black lines. Also, the cat will move around in his "frame", so you will sometimes see more white space on one side of the cat than the other, but then it will shift again.

It is true that on the repros, the green color comes thru the back and this is not often seen on originals.

I'm not sure why anyone would reproduce these patches, since they can be found in SF vet estate sales, etc. And when found, there are usually more than one, since these were printed in big sheets and used for everything in country from curtains to novelty clothing.

One quick test you can use for printed patches is to hold them up to a light.

Original period patches will tend to block the light due to the heavier ink. It won't block 100%, but enough that you clearly see the clear and distinct outline of the patch design.

The more recent patches will use less ink and sometimes less dense material. For both of these reasons, the reproductions will let a lot of light through to the point where you almost do not see the design.

One quick test you can use for printed patches is to hold them up to a light.

Original period patches will tend to block the light due to the heavier ink. It won't block 100%, but enough that you clearly see the clear and distinct outline of the patch design.

The more recent patches will use less ink and sometimes less dense material. For both of these reasons, the reproductions will let a lot of light through to the point where you almost do not see the design.

I have already done that test, but I am not sure what to make of the outcome.

However, the design is quite visible on the other side.

Yes. This is common among originals to see the green color "slop" over the black lines. Also, the cat will move around in his "frame", so you will sometimes see more white space on one side of the cat than the other, but then it will shift again.

It is true that on the repros, the green color comes thru the back and this is not often seen on originals.

I'm not sure why anyone would reproduce these patches, since they can be found in SF vet estate sales, etc. And when found, there are usually more than one, since these were printed in big sheets and used for everything in country from curtains to novelty clothing.

As mentioned previously, the green ink has also been smeared out a bit outside of the outline on the backside.

This is not ink that could have bled through, as there is nothing on the opposite side.

It seems like the green ink was spilled during the printing process.

What are your thoughts on this?

I would love to have a pair of curtains for my war room made from these .

I know a vet that has a period picture who did exacly this.I use to buy the patches from him uncut and he had sheets of them.

RD

I would love to have a pair of curtains for my war room made from these .

Not to block the sunlight I hope... that would be a crime!

I will try to take some photographs showing the backside of the patches I have.

Does anyone have some photographs to upload showing that side of the authentic patches?

River Patrol
As mentioned previously, the green ink has also been smeared out a bit outside of the outline on the backside.

This is not ink that could have bled through, as there is nothing on the opposite side.

It seems like the green ink was spilled during the printing process.

What are your thoughts on this?

It could be ink slopped on the drying racks, etc., that transferred the ink to the back side. I wouldn't be too concerned with something like that, but a picture of the exact patch would help!

Bush,

Please post picture of your exact patches. The ones you have shown have either been chopped off at the borders or have been cropped by a computer program it seems. Printed ARVN patches are hard to figure out. Here are some that we have in our collection that I believe to be "right". If they are not, I apologize. I myself am starting to get scared of printed patches. Notice how these patches have lots of variations/goof ups in the inking.

post-2063-1299805196.jpg

snake36bravo

Here are my two purchased long ago before the bum rush.

You'll note the silk screening is offset which happens when the screen isn't aligned properly or moves when your applying the paint. Mine also shows paint on the back.

Scanned at 150dpi with no color correction or image enhancement.

post-2582-1299806546.jpg

The reverse showing some green paint from the field on the back.

That is exactly what it looks like on the backside of my patches!

Some green ink is smeared out like that.

backs

You can see that some green ink has bled through on the Camp Strike Force patch to the bottom right.

I have been told this is common for the repros, but I am no longer certain this only concerns those.

From what I have seen, it seems like the Camp Strike Force tiger has a green dot in the middle of the eye, whereas the Mobile Strike Force tiger only has a black and white eye.