Mississippi Confederate Veteran Grouping

Championhilz

I picked up this small grouping several years ago - these items belonged to Isaiah Rush, who served in the 38th Mississippi Infantry. He was from Port Gibson, Mississippi, and moved to Texas after the war. He was very badly wounded during the Siege of Vicksburg and had to have one of his arms amputated. He lived until the 1930's, and frequently wrote accounts of his service for Confederate Veteran Magazine.

post-274-1190501303.jpg

post-274-1190501322.jpg

This bookmark was made before the war by one of Isaiah Rush's students in Port Gibson, Mississippi. It is made of silk and is very fragile.

post-274-1190501665.jpg

This typed copy of "Dixie" has a pencil notation at the top: "Type written by Miss Johnson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. S. E. Johnson, Aug. 5-6 during the reunion of Parson's Cavalry Brigade for Mr. I. Rush at who's house he was a guest.

post-274-1190501801.jpg

These CW vet groupings are hard to find. The needlework reminded me of an unfinished piece of embroidery that I found in the pocket of of a GAR uniform that I still have. I think some of these may have been done by the vets as a way to pass time, much the same as whittling or other old time self amusements.

Very neat!