Bullion Pilots wings

John Cooper

Here is a nice bullion pilot wing - from the style it appears to be made in England. If you have any please share them!

bullionpilotfrontnc8.jpg

bullionpilotbackfs1.jpg

Defiantly made in England. It seems the Eighth Air Force had a problem with everybody and their uncle going on pass and as soon as they were off post they would pin on a pair of pilot or air crew wings to impress the girls and the MPs had no way of knowing who was on flight status and who wasn't. So to stop this they required everyone to sew a piece of blue cloth to the uniform behind the wings, this slowed down the unauthorized wear of wings. Some times it was a rectangle some times it followed the outline of the wings. It also helps collectors now, when you see an Eight Air Force uniform and it has wings with no blue background you have to wonder about it.

My understanding is that the blue rectangle thing was a very unit specific, non official practice. I have had many Vet purchased flight crew uniforms that did not have the blue rectangle. The uniforms that I think are suspicious are those with the “factory” embroidered gold border on the blue rectangle!

I agree with the gold border coment. As for the blue part - I have read that some units used it to ID "combat crews"... Now what specifically does that mean is a matter of discussion.

pathfinder505
Defiantly made in England. It seems the Eighth Air Force had a problem with everybody and their uncle going on pass and as soon as they were off post they would pin on a pair of pilot or air crew wings to impress the girls and the MPs had no way of knowing who was on flight status and who wasn't. So to stop this they required everyone to sew a piece of blue cloth to the uniform behind the wings, this slowed down the unauthorized wear of wings. Some times it was a rectangle some times it followed the outline of the wings. It also helps collectors now, when you see an Eight Air Force uniform and it has wings with no blue background you have to wonder about it.

I have several 8th AF groupings that came direct from the vet and there was no blue backing. I have a few that do have the backing. What I am saying is I don't think that is a reason to wonder about it being real or not.

I have several 8th AF groupings that came direct from the vet and there was no blue backing. I have a few that do have the backing. What I am saying is I don't think that is a reason to wonder about it being real or not.

Agreed because I have seen period photos with the blue backing... Please post some photos of your uniforms I would love to see them.

John

It's likely the blue backing was unofficial but it appears that it was widely used as I've had uniforms from various 8th and 9th AAF groups both fighter and bomber types. Probably a case of individualism amongst aircrew but sanctioned by both Bomber and Fighter Command.

It's likely the blue backing was unofficial but it appears that it was widely used as I've had uniforms from various 8th and 9th AAF groups both fighter and bomber types. Probably a case of individualism amongst aircrew but sanctioned by both Bomber and Fighter Command.

That is interesting - I have not seen any info on FG's using the blue backing. Any period photos you can share?

John

pathfinder505

I looked last night and I have a 9th AF with a blue backing. However, he was not a fighter pilot. He flew B-26's I think.

I looked last night and I have a 9th AF with a blue backing. However, he was not a fighter pilot. He flew B-26's I think.

When time allows can you post a pitctue?

John

pathfinder505
When time allows can you post a pitctue?

John

Yes I will. It may be a couple of days before I can get it on here. I will post the 8th and the 9th pics

• 4 weeks later...
Thought I would post a picture of this patch. It doesnt have a number. Anyone know why???

That last patch is not supposed to have a number as it is the standard AC patch vs. the specific numbered units i.e. 8th, 9th, 12, 15th...

BTW thats for posting the two other pictures - any chance of getting a larger shot - my eye just are not that good ; :blink:

Regards,

John

pathfinder505

Sorry

The last patch did not have the red dot. I said number by mistake.

I compressed the files on those wings but I can email you if you want to pm me.

I think you can enlarge on the email then

Here are a couple of bullion wings that belonged to Flight Officer Stuart K. Barr who served as a co-pilot with the 448th BG and was shot down on a mission to Frankfurt on 3/20/44 . His plane was named " The Commanche " because the pilot of the aircraft, Waynee Meyers, was a full Comanche! Barr was able to evade capture with the help of the French underground and eventually made it back it England. The waist gunner also evaded , but the rest of the crew became POW's .

After the war he stayed in the Air Force and retired.

Barrwings.JPG

Barrwings2.JPG

Guys I love the wings you posted!!

Charlie - very interesting colors - do you have any photos of the ike?

Mark - can you post a picture of the back?