Another Compass Question..Swiss Made?

penobscottrader

penobscottrader

Any info on these on these compasses? I have seen many of them over the years, and recently picked up several with other US compasses. This one is just marked Berne, but I have seen them as well marked Switzerland as well. I have always assumed they were possibly inter-war production maybe? Thanks!

005-10.jpg

Berne is a city in Switzerland.

http://www.compassmuseum.com/hand/hand_2.htm#C-E

CRUCHONS & EMONS

PROFILE - The brand Cruchon & Emons appears on two different compass models which were used during WWI. We guess that this was a Swiss manufacturer but we lack evidence.

C. & E. built mirror compasses (engraved BERNE or PARIS) for the US Engineers Corps.

This pattern was also produced by PLAN Ltd (click on this link for more pictures and a compass description).

See also the Abercrombie & Fitch version.

Another model (a prismatic Verner's pattern) was engraved LONDON. GIYF.

Ought to be a nice compass.

Johan Willaert

WW1 or interwar period production for the US Army...

I have one that came in an early WW2 zippered pouch..

Wow, that site isn't nick-named "COMPASSIPEDIA" for nothin.

I think they've got listed every compass known to man since some caveman tossed a charged needle into water.

Excellent resource.

A little more compass surfin' found this:

This is a US Engineers Corps marked solid brass body compass manufactured by CRUTCHEON & EMONS, PARIS.

This is an EXCEPTIONALLY well made compass, machined from a solid block of brass with a jeweled rotor with the original very early radium paint treatment on the cover and dial.

It has a rotor lifter button (at SE) that is automatically engaged when the lid is closed for carry. It also has a separate button to damp the motion of the rotor (a tiny pin at NW). There is a bezel lock thumbscrew at NE that engages a brass detent ring on the crystal.

The cover is hinged and serial numbered to match the base. There is a brass area designed to be polished to mirror brightness to read the bearing at eye level.

The rotor dial is numbered conventionally (360 degrees) and there is a mirror-image (reversed) numbers to be read in the mirror on the lid. The lid snaps shut crisply and stays closed in carry.

This is an outstanding piece of engineering with a lot of attention paid to the details that are obvious in the close-up image of the face.

It measures 2-1/8 inches in diameter..

Makers marks can be seen on this view of the back. It is marked U.S. Engineer Corps (NOT Corps of Engineers) on the top.

It is calibrated on the 20s with major indices on the 10s and minor indices on the 5s. Cardinal points are indicated by a large radium arrow (for N)-E-S-W (with smaller radium arrows) and letters and NE-SE-SW-NW for the 8ths.

The only one US made compass in the WWI era was the inaccurate Creagh-Osborne marching compass then they ordered to the swiss company Cruchon&Emons mirror compasses of swiss design as well prismatic compasses copy of british ones. Also the another swiss company,Plan Ltd, got contract for mirror compasses Your compass is believed made between wars being the WWI era ones marked "Cruchon&Emons Berne or Paris" and without "corps of engineers"

post-67-1299741946.jpg