WWI Items

DSchlagan

Hello all,

Here are just a few of the personal items that my Great-Uncle carried in "The War to End All Wars".

The thread securing this Bible has been tied on there for 90 plus years. I have considered opening it.

It meant a lot to him to have it with him to read; besides just the left-breast-pocket thing.

post-21709-1299550512.jpg

HD Sewing kit:

post-21709-1299553467.jpg

Note the beeswax still in the bakelite 'tin'.

post-21709-1299553605.jpg

AutoStrop:

post-21709-1299554442.jpg

I have a fairly complete grouping of his "Great War" effects:

Enlistment papers, Uniform, Honorable Discharge papers, certificates, "framed" Discharge display w/portrait, a really neat matched set of trenchart shell casings, and other items. Will post as able.

• 2 months later...
BigJohn#3RD

Great items all in all from a WWI Veteran, you may want to untie the string and see if your Great Uncle wrote anything in the bible or underlined certain passages, many veterns did and still do today. thanks for sharing some family military history.

Regards

John

Thanks to all for the interest and kind comments.

Thanks also for bumping this, Ron, as a reminder that I need to get ahold of the other described items. My Mom has care of them now, and she knows how much they mean to me.

I've been a little hesitant to cut that thread securing the Bible, but with a visor and proper tools, I believe that I could untie it carefully. It would be nice to see the inscriptions in it. My Great Uncle did have the habit of writing in his other Bibles and books.

Regards,

Don.