Arctic Ranger scroll

Tom Pearcy

Picked this up a while back. A variation of the "authorized" version. Embroidered on twill with cheese cloth backing. It does not glow under UV. I get a warm fuzzy fealing from it. What do you think.

post-244-1299550795.jpg

post-244-1299551015.jpg

My understanding about these particular scrolls was that the Arctic Rangers never liked their original scroll which they wore above the Alaskan Defense Command patch from 1970 to 1972. The unit was inactivated before these scrolls arrived so they were never worn. This second more traditional looking scroll design as well as their first scroll have been copied. Your scroll looks like a real one. I've come across two different copies of the second scroll. A scan of the front and back of one of the copies is attached.

post-1389-1299563162.jpg

post-1389-1299563176.jpg

For about the first year of Company O's existence they simply wore a blue and white Airborne tab above the Bear Patch. The last year they wore the thin Arctic Ranger scroll. As far as the unauthorized versions there are several, but I have no idea which if any were ever actually worn. Though I do really like the first one shown, and I would be willing to bet it is at least period rather than made in the last few years.

Thanx for the input. I actually got it off ebay and payed a bit more for it than I really wanted to. All I remember from the write-up is that it belonged to an officer that had something to do with either discharges or reassignments. It came with a 'baby" blue RANGER tab.

My understanding about these particular scrolls was that the Arctic Rangers never liked their original scroll which they wore above the Alaskan Defense Command patch from 1970 to 1972. The unit was inactivated before these scrolls arrived so they were never worn. This second more traditional looking scroll design as well as their first scroll have been copied. Your scroll looks like a real one. I've come across two different copies of the second scroll. A scan of the front and back of one of the copies is attached.

By then the SSI was for was "US Army Alaska" or USARAL. Alaska Defense Command is an older designation. I was stationed at Ft. Wainwright in 1972-1973 and remember Arctic Ranger scrolls for sale in the Military Clothing Sales Store or PX (I can't remember which). I was not a collector then and did not buy any. Totally unrelated, but I did buy a single pinback, sterling Glider Qualification Badge in the Clothing Sales Store for about $.23. They had found a box of 50 or so of them in the store room and put them on the counter for sale. Many of the Army badges were still sterling and priced under $1.00.