82nd Airborne Uniform - In Progress

LTGSANCHEZ

I'll be buying stuff for this uniform for the rest of my life...

I want this to be COMPLETE... someday.

The m42 jacket is nice, I always liked how it still can been seen where the 82nd patch was sewn on (I haven't the heart yet to resew it on), AND the invasion US flag was sew onto the right sleeve. I try to keep the equipment complete as possible within reason. I've got two .45 clips packed with 1943 dated ammo ready to rock. I setup this up for an 82nd lieutenant, but I wasn't sure if officer's jumped with their map cases slung on their uniform or binoculars attached to their belt, or if they crammed all that crap in their musette bags?

I'd like to get the arm flag and 82nd patch resewn someday, and an assault gas mask, a non-repro paratrooper first aid kit (the only repro item in the setup), and eventually... hopefully... prayfully a M2 helmet to top it off.

Not shown in photo: Brit made musette bag, presto knife, and wife's angry face that I decided to bring this setup upstair to my office. :lol:

DSC01285.jpg

DSC01286.jpg

DSC01288.jpg

DSC01289.jpg

DSC01291.jpg

DSC01293.jpg

DSC01294.jpg

DSC01296.jpg

getting there! I would have one concern with the first aid packet tied to the mae west and that is there is no allowance for inflation and that would probably break the straps and one would loose the packet..there was a tech order issued that stated that the aid packet should be sewn on the parachute harness and that is USAAF...but I assume you have it there for now since you do not have a T-5 parachute harness for the display.

your B-3 is an excellent example void of your typical T.O. and inspection markings mainly the addition of the collar strap and the dye marker in between the two bladders on the left.You would be able to tell if one wa there, the rubber cement leaves a black residue.

getting there! I would have one concern with the first aid packet tied to the mae west and that is there is no allowance for inflation and that would probably break the straps and one would loose the packet..there was a tech order issued that stated that the aid packet should be sewn on the parachute harness and that is USAAF...but I assume you have it there for now since you do not have a T-5 parachute harness for the display.

your B-3 is an excellent example void of your typical T.O. and inspection markings mainly the addition of the collar strap and the dye marker in between the two bladders on the left.You would be able to tell if one wa there, the rubber cement leaves a black residue.

I had the first aid pouch tied onto the vest since I removed the suspenders and musette bag for cleaning and forgot to put them back on the display for the photo. Thanks for the 4-1-1!

Seen the first aid pouch tied to all sorts of stuff in perod photos... helmet net, suspenders, m6 scabbard, leg, etc.

Seen the first aid pouch tied to all sorts of stuff in perod photos... helmet net, suspenders, m6 scabbard, leg, etc.

for sure! the tech order I mentioned is USAAF which is unrelated to infantry (airborne).In the USAAF it is typically tied to the parachute harness as it is considered a parachute accessory, just threw that one in there.I was pointing out that the kit tied to the life preserver would be a no-no since inflation would create some problems and the vest would be discarded immediatly after landing anyway lossing the kit as well.If i had a repro I would tie one to a vest and inflate it to see what would happen for an experiment...now i am curious.Life preservers are a fetish of mine...proper functioning of the life preserver was pretty important factor in the services that employed them and anything that was secured to them had to have allowances for inflation such as dye markers,whistles etc. anything with laynards or tie tapes and especially the wearer the straps had to be adjusted properly and both the USAAF and buaer issued tech orders on this procedure as in the Buaer words"it's a life preserver when it fits". I am curious as to what instruction paratroops recieved in the use of these vests?

for sure! the tech order I mentioned is USAAF which is unrelated to infantry (airborne).In the USAAF it is typically tied to the parachute harness as it is considered a parachute accessory, just threw that one in there.I was pointing out that the kit tied to the life preserver would be a no-no since inflation would create some problems and the vest would be discarded immediatly after landing anyway lossing the kit as well.If i had a repro I would tie one to a vest and inflate it to see what would happen for an experiment...now i am curious.Life preservers are a fetish of mine...proper functioning of the life preserver was pretty important factor in the services that employed them and anything that was secured to them had to have allowances for inflation such as dye markers,whistles etc. anything with laynards or tie tapes and especially the wearer the straps had to be adjusted properly and both the USAAF and buaer issued tech orders on this procedure as in the Buaer words"it's a life preserver when it fits". I am curious as to what instruction paratroops recieved in the use of these vests?

Ok, ok. Roger. Thanks for the clarification. I'll give inflating the vest with the repro kit tied to it a try sometime. Since you do like life preservers. Di you see my other post I had with photos of the USN life belt, mint in the original box?

I don't think the paratroopers got much instructions with the vests. They probably didn't listen to/read the instructions if they figured out the vest wasn't going to do much good with 100+ pounds of gear.

Where do you live? I am going to go break in :lol:

Eh, I'll leave it for a future grandchild or great-grandchild to break it in when they ignorantly wear it as a halloween costume long after I'm dead.

wasn't going to do much good with 100+ pounds of gear.

that is the truth! it actually would not hold them, the rating is not much more over the average body weight and that was the main complaint of the B-3 and 4 vests was bouancy which is what the new improved vest B-5 and MK-2 provided.In 1946 a life preserver specially for paratroops was developed i'll scan some pictures and post them when I get a chance

if you ever inflated one of those vests using the CO-2 cylinders it packs quite a punch

here are those scans from a october 1946 Air Sea Rescue Bulletin

the first paragraph states:

"In a project undertaken for the army ground forces,Wright Field Personal Equipment Laboratory has designed a life vest to be worn by paratroopers which,it is expected,will overcome the bouyancy deficiences of the present B-3 and B-4 types"

I am surprised it does not mention the B-5

post-56-1190673228.jpg

post-56-1190673244.jpg

equipment display, the life preservers are on the bottom

Great scans. I love old ads for military goods. I met today with a veteran of the 507th who said they never even bothered wearing any floatation vests/belts. No one thought water would have been such an enemy when they landed. He said he heard one guy landed in a swamp or pond and got caught up in all the weeds and only survived because he was 6 ft tall and was able to bob up and down for air until his buddies helped him out. Luckily when we jump here on Fort Benning there isn't too much water to worry about! :D

equipment display, the life preservers are on the bottom

Here's some more shots with the gear I left out. Moved the first aid kit to the suspenders. Also included a shot of the rear since I never realized what a spider web of straps these guys dealt with and this display doesn't have any parachute equipment! If I was airborne back in the day, the second my feet hit normandy I'd be tearing at web gear with my knife till all that was left was a pistol belt and a musette bag.

DSC01352.jpg

DSC01354.jpg