CFP-90 ruck sack

msgt norway

msgt norway

the ruck with the smal recon patrol pack mounted

DSCN4881.jpg

DSCN4882.jpg

this CFP-90 ruck is genuin issue

and have the smal thin top lid. this is not a us cavalery or other product.

gott this from a marine on exersice in norway in mid 1990s.

the complete platoon had same rucks. they gott them from usmc depots.

DSCN4879.jpg

DSCN4880.jpg

DSCN4883.jpg

DSCN4884.jpg

smal pack alone.

DSCN4885.jpg

cheers ken,norway

in the early 90's we had/tested these rucks in the 7TH Infantry Div. at Fort Ord Ca.(i was a Wolf hound in 1/27 Inf.) always had probems and defects with the frame/suspention ripping/tearing/breaking ..always big time problems for the AG having to carry the tri-pod, spare barrel bag and T&E for the M-60 MG..the ruck was just to "limp" to carry those items...i remember as a whole we turned them back in to CIF and got the large ALICE packs back,but alot of guys kept the Assault packs(kind of a neat thing back then)..also tested the LBV and sent that back to CIF too, but some guy's liked them aswell and kept them..but most of us went back to ALICE LBE...vince g. 11B INf..

The test IIFS FPLIF manufactured under contract by Lowe Alpine for Natick Laboratories and are easily distinguished from the standardized FPLIF by the lower brown sleeping bag compartment [among other things such as the superior shoulder straps and waist belt].

iifs_04.jpg

Label from Lowe Alpine FPLIF. This specific contract was let on 04 August 1986.

iifs_05.jpg

First pages of the military standards for the FPLIF. The FPLIF was standardized on 01 February 1988 as indicated by the initial standard MIL-F-44324. For the FPLIF there was only the base document, "A" revision, the 1995 amendment, and the 1999 cancellation. No other standards were issued for the FPLIF under MIL-F-44324.

iifs_06.jpg

iifs_07.jpg

iifs_08.jpg

iifs_09.jpg

FY1991 FPLIF, the first contract year for the FPLIF. NO standardized TLBV or FPLIF were manufactured between FY1988 and FY1991 [there were test TLBV contracted in FY1988]. USGI [united States Government Issue] FPLIF are marked with a large US epitaph on the sleeping bag compartment. The combat patrol pack is also marked with visible US epitaph.

iifs_10.jpg

iifs_11.jpg

iifs_12.jpg

Contract labels for the two FY1991 FPLIF contracts. Again, this is the first Fiscal Year the standardized FPLIF was manufactured.

DLA100-91-C-4102 was awarded to DJ Manufacturing Company of Caguas, Puerto Rico on 31 October 1990 and completed on 09 November 1991:

iifs_13.jpg

DLA100-91-C-4103 was awarded to Filters Company Incorporated of Freeman, South Dakota on 31 October 1990 and completed 09 November 1991:

iifs_14.jpg

A couple of 27s on the FPLIF National Stock Number:

iifs_15.jpg

The FPLIF was cancelled in 1999 yet procument shows to be made in 2008 for 5500 units at 149.53 each:

iifs_16.jpg

iifs_17.jpg

Cover to the 1991 Care And Use manual for the IIFS:

iifs_18.jpg

Three pages from the manual mentioning the FPLIF:

iifs_19.jpg

iifs_20.jpg

iifs_21.jpg

TM 10-8400-203-23 from 07 May 1990 with additions up to 13 June 2003:

iifs_22.jpg

iifs_23.jpg

A couple of pages dealing with the FPLIF:

iifs_24.jpg

iifs_25.jpg

While conducting research for the past 11 months concerning the IIFS system I have yet to come across an official United States government document that uses the "CFP-90" designation. I did find this though:

A FPLIF copy, in MARPAT, by Koimex Corporation of South Korea who supplies companies like Rothco and Fox:

iifs_31.jpg

Steer clear of the FCI packs. They used non mil-spec materials and improperly sewed the packs. This combination of issues all but killed GI confidence in the pack.

FY1991 FPLIF, the first contract year for the FPLIF. NO standardized TLBV or FPLIF were manufactured between FY1988 and FY1991 [there were test TLBV contracted in FY1988]

i think even experimental rucksacks were manufactured in that time frame. It is one of those, identical to what became the standard issue FPLIP, without the brown sleeping bag compartment and the quick attack patrol pack as in earlier model.

1_84fd1674af76775f39603a1ca3e8176e.jpg

1_84fd1674af76775f39603a1ca3e8176e2.jpg

While the production model wasn't liked at all the Lowe made ones were loved as you can see. In this photo is the original 1984 experimental model worn by a green beret departing for liberia in 2003. :thumbsup:

DF-SD-05-07193-1.jpg

msgt norway

okay i used the wrong name for the ruck,but i know its genuin issue...

thanks for the info sgtmonroe :thumbsup:

i remember the green rucks with the brown bottom,but that was

1987 in norway. a few usmc mps reserve had them for some sort.

cheers ken,norway.

sgtmonroe:any chance to gett copies of the fplif manuales?

i think even experimental rucksacks were manufactured in that time frame. It is one of those, identical to what became the standard issue FPLIP, without the brown sleeping bag compartment and the quick attack patrol pack as in earlier model.

taucco, my friend, you always come through! I had found information that there were 1988 test FPLIF but could not find an image of one...and you, of course, found one! THANKS!

sgtmonroe:any chance to gett copies of the fplif manuales?

No problem, just PM me with an email address and I will email it to you. That goes for anyone else that needs it.

Some images of the test FPLIF in use:

The 1984 test FPLIF [green with brown bottom] rigged for jumping by the two far left 1st Special Forces soldiers during TEAM SPIRIT '85 exercises in South Korea. The second image shows 1st Special Forces on the ground with the same FPLIF:

iifs_32.jpg

iifs_33.jpg

September 1987, Navy SEALS during training. The pack is one of a number of Lowe manufactured Vector-series pack designs that the FPLIF was derrived from.

iifs_34.jpg

82nd Airborne in Honduras during the 1988 Operation GOLDEN PHEASANT. At least two 1986 test FPLIF [woodland camouflage with brown bottom] are seen. During this operation quantities of the 1986 test TLBV were also used.

iifs_35.jpg

sgtmonroe the ruck appears to be a Berghaus (thats the name of the company in the U.K.) cyclops II Vulcan with out the side pockets..the side pockets which can be zipped together to form a (patrol pack) and comes with seperate shoulder straps to do so...the term (Bergan) is Bitish "slang" for just about any rucksack...i own one by the way which i got in the U.K. at Silvermans back in 93'....it's a really big rucksack...vince g. 11B Infantry....

Chris, i saved that photos from an ebay auction some years ago. i only have those in small resolution, here's the other of the back. I think it was made to be paired with the 1988 H&S made Experimental lbv (which was identical to the later general issue model)

http://img21.No_outside_hosting.us/i/post56612143425831.jpg/

1_84fd1674af76775f39603a1ca3e8176e21.jpg

I have seen the photo series of the 10th mountain division wearing the 1986 test model during Reforger '90 (i have these in maxi resolution, details can be picked better)

DF-ST-91-00041.jpg

DF-ST-91-00043.jpg

DF-ST-91-00050.jpg

Navy seals are wearing the brown fartsack fplip during chili flag '90, too (can't find the photos atm)

while the older 1984 model seemed to be more popular among green berets. Here's a major coming back from desert storm, carrying one.

DA-ST-91-09808.jpg

And about that photo with a Bergan equipped Seal. I bought sometime ago from a US soldier a 1991 dated british Karrimor rucksack, basically a scaled down version of the cfp-90, very nice, with a nice us army nylon nametape sewn to it.

• 2 weeks later...

msgt norway: here is a nice set of images:

[below]: 28 February 1989, U.S. Marines of 1st Platoon, 2nd Force Reconnaissance Company board a Starlifter at Volk Field ANGB to transport them to Bardufoss, Norway, to take part in Exercise COLD WINTER 89. The field packs do not appear to be the test FPLIF, but instead they seem to be private purchase LCS-84 packs [with patrol packs] due to the placement of the eyelets. In the first image the weapon is a Colt Model 653 [M16A1 Carbine].

iifs_37.jpg

iifs_36.jpg

[below]: The Marines arriving in Bardufoss. In this image the Marine at the far left has an odd pouch behind his M12 holster. In the image above the same Marine is second in line boarding the Starlifter. The pouch is again visible behind the M12 holster.

iifs_38.jpg

[below]: Closeups of the pouch in the above images.

iifs_39.jpg

iifs_40.jpg

[below]: Some of you might have already guessed what the pouch is...one these "wonderful" canvas civilian-made pouches that were sold by Brigade Quartermasters and US Cavalry during the 1980s. Now that I have pointed this out [which may not have been such a good idea]...watch ePay! Once the "guys with plastic guns" see this they will buy 'em all up under the auspices that "Force Recon uses them!"

iifs_41.jpg

msgt norway

yes those pictures are cool,i was everyday with the recons that month

trading for cammies,mres,gear.

bardufoss is 1/2 hour from my home,and i gott my first sett of goretex

from them and a pair of vb boots :)

i even gott my own camp id card,i still have it :)

cheers ken

I have one of those Green pack with the Brown bottom in my collection somewhere. I need to dig that up and take photos. Identical to the pack in those Recon photos.

I think I paid about $35 on EBay for it circa 2001-2002.