WW2 econo-lead barracks cover EGA

General Apathy

General Apathy

post-344-1171624061.jpgpost-344-1171624042.jpg

Hello all posters on this EGA thread, apologies for breaking into it with my question, but there appears to be some valuable information being offered on the subject of the EGA's. My question is, what information can anyone offer on the EGA in my photos, time period, rough price guide or anything else about it. Cheers ( Lewis )

Hey Lewis,

From what I can see of your emblem, I'm guessing it's the mid to late WWII EconoLead enlisted Marine version. It has what appears to be the long skinny screw post and the large steel or brass "flower" roller. The obverse of it also has that gilt washed cast lead look. If I can get a reverse image of it off the card, I'll be able to tell you for sure.

While many collectors go after just the nicer brass or gilted sterling dress emblems of WWII, I think these EconoLead emblems are way undervalued and underappreciated. It takes a real EGA connoisseur to fully appreciate these emblems. Because of the flimsy or cheap construction, this EconoLead pattern is usually found with an anchor fluke or wing or anchor stock or screw post broken off, so it's nice to see one that is still in excellent condition. These usually go in the $5 or $10 range if well worn and probably another $5 added on if in excellent condition like yours. Many EGA collectors feel that no self respecting Marine would have worn these emblems, but I have a set of service collar emblems in lead that were worn proudly by a WWII Paramarine, so all I can say is, you have a nice WWII emblem there.

Gary

General Apathy

Gary, thanks for the information on the EGA on card, you are ' right-on' with your description looking at the rear they are a heavy ' econolead ' construction. I also have another one in the same econolead but made by ' Kay-Tee', and three pairs of collar insignia by ' Kay-Tee', all still on cards. Thanks once again for your information. Cheers ( Lewis )

Lewis,

I thought I would move this topic into a thread of it's own, so we can find it later when doing searches. The eBay EGA auction thread will probably dry up and be lost, but I'd like this topic on EconoLead emblems to stick around for awhile.

You might consider adding images of the Kay-Tee emblems to the EGA Reference Section. The EconoLead emblems came in different styles, so I think it very important to document as many styles as possible. They are straight up WWII, so the M1937 sub section for cover and collar emblems would be the best place for posting images of them. Be sure to add obverse and reverses shots, especially of the roller types found on these emblems.

Okay, now a question or two? Are your Kay-Tee collar emblems for the service uniform (black paint) or for the dress uniform (gold wash)? Also, I'm assuming that the emblems aren't hallmarked anywhere except the cards they came on...correct?

Gary

teufelhunde.ret

Gary, thanks for moving this. You are correct, these pot metal variety are under appreciated and deserve a thread of their own. Many folks today are truly unaware of the financial and material conditions our country faced as WW2 progressed. While they are not hallmarked, sterling, officer varieties, etc, etc, when found in good condition they can be a rarity on their own right. Albeit a tab bit on the ugly side.

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...
teufelhunde.ret

... and you got this one in good condition with washer present & screw post still in place at a good price. I saw one go out the door on ebay last month for $38. pinch.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

here's a variety of different variations of both service and dress cover emblems. Notice the differences in screw post lengths, bird details, and even piercings...

Lead_Covers_Fronts.JPG

Lead_Covers_Rears.JPG

• 3 years later...
teufelhunde.ret

Have been waiting upon an un-molested econo-lead variation of the cover emblem for some time now.... well a long time. These are not rare in any sense. Just not found often and most you come across have had the post in the rear whacked down. What is surprising, the level of detail and the eagle is actually an attractive design. This is a thread in the EGA ref. sec. with other lead designs: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=10318

econo_lead_002.jpg