Cherry Point MCAS, Korean War Era

gwb123

I decided to pull out my father's photo album from his service in the US Marine Corps during the Korean War.

My Dad's experience was a bit unusual. From what I can piece together from his DD214's, he first went in August 1948 and served through August of 1949. After graduating Parris Island, it appears he went to something called NAMTU at Marine Corps Air Station, Cherry Point, NC. I would assume that would be something about "Aviation Maintenance Training Unit"? He was branded as a Aircraft Mechanic 747A and attended the 5 weeks of training for the F4U-4 school.

Looking at his records he must have already had a year of college under his belt. After his year of service, he returned to Lycoming College at Williamsport, PA. This was short lived due to the Korean Conflict, and he was called out of Ready Reserve status on October 27, 1950 and served through April 23, 1952. He returned to Cherry Point, and this time looks to have been assinged to Aircraft Engineering Squadron 41, Second Marine Airwing.

This time around he was qualifed as an Aircraft Electrician 6434 working for an organization known as the Overhaul and Repair Department.

The way he described it aircraft of all types were brought back from the warfront. They went in one end of the bulding worn and battle fatigued (and in some cases shot full of holes) and the left the other end of the bulding looking like they had rolled out fresh from the factory.

Judging by the attached photos, his unit worked on just about everything that was in the USMC inventory at the time.

Clair_Burket_send.jpg

Certificate_send.jpg

Official_Papers_small.jpg

I am guessing that some of these building still stand at Cherry Point...

Barracks, with a couple of Marines practicing thier baseball skills....

Hanger 2, where I assume my father worked...

Control Tower for Cherry Point....

Cherry_Point_Barracks_send.jpg

Cherry_Point_Control_Tower_send.jpg

Cherry_Point_Hanger_2_send.jpg

There were a number of oddball aircraft at Cherry Point at this time...

This B-17 type aircraft with the large radome underneath looks to be a PB-1W, most likely assigned to the Navy rather than the Marine Corps.

Also located were these large flying boats.

The smaller Amphibian is marked with it's number 799 CHERRY POINT under the left wing.

Cherry_Point_B_17_send.jpg

Cherry_Point_Flying_Boat_send.jpg

Cherry_Point_Flying_Boat_2_send.jpg

Cherry_Point_Amphibian_send.jpg

When I was young and learning about aviation history, I could not understand why my father insisted on calling this aircraft an R4D...

The individual standing mid fueselage looks to be my Dad, looking like he has just finished some form of work on the aircraft.

The closer photo is a friend of his marked as Fritz on the photograph.

There were also larger transports... I have no notes on this phot, but apparently it was taken in flight from another photo by my Dad.

Cherry_Point_R4D_send.jpg

Cherry_Point_R4D_Fitz_send.jpg

Cherry_Point_Transport_send.jpg

And then there were the fighters...

The markings on these Corsairs are so basic it is likely that they have just rolled out of the depot rebuild process.

As for the one inside the hanger, look closely at the lower two props and the discoloration on the lower part of the engine cowling. The only clue Dad left me on this one was "Nobody got hurt"!

Cherry_Point_F4U_Corsair_2_send.jpg

Cherry_Point_F4U_Corsair_3_MAC_SEND.jpg

Cherry_Point_F4U_Corsair_b_send.jpg

Cherry_Point_F4U_Corsair_send.jpg

I asked my Dad what was his favorite aircraft, and to my surprise he named the Grumman F7F Tigercat. I had no idea what one looked like for a long time as this was not one of the models being made by Monogram or Revell at the time.

Unfortunately he really does not have a good photo in his collection for this one, but bits and parts.

Note the stenciled marking used for the "8".

Cherry_Point_F7F_send.jpg

Cherry_Point_Unknown_Send.jpg

Cherry_Point_Unknown_2.jpg

Aviation was undergoing generational changes while my Dad was in... the war was still being fought with WWII vintage prop driven Corsairs, but supplemented with jets and helicopters.

The photo of the three jets on the tarmac was marked "Jets at O&R". (The white mark is an unfortunate flaw in the original photo.)

AAA_helo_2_send_test_copy.jpg

Cherry_Point_Jets_at_O_R_send.jpg

Cherry_Point_Jet_send.jpg

What is it about people in the military and Jeeps? (and today with HUMVEEs?)

Just about anyone I have ever known in the service has had their picture taken either driving, riding, or posing next to a jeep!

Note the special equipment on the back end, as well as USN markings rather than USMC.

Anyway... like father, like son!

Cherry_Point_Jeep_send.jpg

Same_In_German_Close.JPG

Leatherwringer
When I was young and learning about aviation history, I could not understand why my father insisted on calling this aircraft an R4D...

From a USMC Flight Log Book that I just received in a grouping.....Cherry Point Air Station

in the 2nd pic...you will see the log in of R4D in the "Type of Machine" column...

there are a few more entries for the R4D throughout the rest of the Marines entries!

009-30.jpg

008-29.jpg

Flight line photos.... apparently not all of the work was done inside. As you can see, the warm weather in North Carolina led to minimal work clothing, which today would probably be considered an OSHA safety violation.

As we can tell by the photos, the work environment was quite serious and focused. In the photo with the truck, I believe my Dad is standing on the viewers far right. In the other photo, I believe he is the one who is down on one knee.

Close up included to show the markings of the Corsairs in the distance. This was probably a resident squadron.

Cherry_Point_flightline_send.jpg

Cherry_Point_flightline_2_send.jpg

Cherry_Point_flightline_2_close.jpg

Here's a mystery photo... Dad never mentioned making a parachute jump. I am inclined to think this was "just in case" ground training.

Dad was rated for flight pay, but in order to keep that he had to "fly" a certain number of hours month. One time this amounted to riding along on a helicopter on post maintenance test flights. How do you test a helicopter.... you go straight up, you go straight down... you go straight up, you go straight down.... I am assuming he either brought a good book or took a nap!

Another interesting photo.... This looks like guard mount for a security patrol. The armbands were a mystery until I scanned them and blew them up. They read "OR Security", and are a half arband held on by two black elastic bands. Despite the ammunition belts, I do not see any holsters, only nightsticks. Still, between this and other photos, these guys just looked itching for a fight! Notice the whistles attached to the pockets, no doubt to sound an alert or summon help. Dad should be the one on the viewer's left on the back row.

Cherry_Point_parachute_send.jpg

Cherry_Point_parachute_close.jpg

Cherry_Point_Patrol_send.jpg

Boys will be boys....

Apparently snow was rare in North Carolina and the occaision was promptly celebrated with snowball fights and other festivities.

Cherry_Point_Snow_2_Send.jpg

Cherry_Point_Snow_send.jpg

I asked Dad if his Reserve status prevented him from going overseas to Korea. He told me no, they were constantly pulling people. He said there would be no notice... you would just come back to the barracks and find the bunk empty with the mattress rolled up. Guys he had worked with were gone, and many of them he never knew what became of them.

The war of course eventually wound down.

Dad returned to school and used his GI Bill to finish is accounting degree at Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania. Below, he is visiting Benjamin Franklin's statue on the Penn Campus.

Since his military service obligation had been completed, he was not subject to further draft and was considered highly desirable by employers. Contrary to today's times, he said he had at least a dozen job offers.

Although he did not serve in combat, my Dad would later prove his valor in a totally unexpected venue. After joining General Electric, he went on to be a project accountant at the nuclear test laboraties in Idaho. Without prior training, he volunteered to assist in removing highly radioactive debris from the site of the SL-1 nuclear reactor disaster. Due to inadquate protective clothing, it is my family's belief that he was exposed to highly toxic materials. Within months he began suffering a series of serious and bizarre health issues that plagued him for the rest of his life. I believe he was only 62 when he finally passed away.

When my family queried General Electric about our Father's exposures, the company's immediate response was that he was never there. This, despite his photograph appearing in the worksite newspaper as a member of the company softball team.

Penn__send.jpg

Cobrahistorian

Gil,

Seeing family military history always makes me smile. I guess it's a bit of a tangible connection to what our relatives did while in the military. You've got some incredible photos here of some really great airplanes. The jets are McDonnell FH-1 Phantoms, the first jet flown by the Navy/Marines. I'm very interested in the "US Marines" on many of the airplanes. The norm for the time was just "MARINES" on the side of the airplane. I'm wondering if that was just a short period of time where they were directed to paint "US" on there as well?

Your two amphibians are Martin PBM Mariners (larger) and a Grumman JRF-1 Goose. I'm also intrigued by the lone F4U-1D amongst the F4U-4s! Such a great mix of airplanes!

Great stuff!

Jon