Weird plastic helmet liner

jgawne

OK, so I NEVER go to yard sales as they never have anything military. BUt today I am walking around the block and spot a helmet at one. I mosey over and find it is a soft plastic OD shell- "oh, a toy I sez."

Turn it over and it is made exactly like a real liner- GI fittings, webbing is a light green like the early HBT's. The leather chin strap is exactly like the GI ones, only double thickness and undyed. So I have to get a photo of it, and break it down to see if there are any markings on the webbing.

The thing is I live 1 town away from the Natick Army labs and oddities have been known to turn up as people sometimes took stuff home for their kids to play with.

That will now be the only military yard sale find I make for 2 years now.

Ooops, wait- I see in the liner it is molded LEVITOR 1991. No marks on any webbing I can see. It is GI hardware, but it looks like the plastic is actually too think for the metal sweatband holders....

Looks Belgian to me... Check if you have a marking that reads ABL.

The rectangular area on the side is where the Belgian National Flag sticker is usually placed.

Andrei

my Belgian police helmet came with a undyed natural leather color chin strap, but it is not double the thickness

it does look like a european copy

That would make sense it being non-american. Its so "close but not quite." no post 1965 back neck straps.

the only LEVITON I know of is a major American Electrical manufactuer.

of course I had hoped someone would tell me how wonderful and rare and amazing a find it was. ce la vie.