Dark Blue Felt First Sergeant Felt Chevrons.

awmartin

Hi,

I must confess that I don't know too much about chevrons and cloth insignia of any kind infact, although when I had seen these two I though that it would be a good learning experience. From the research that I've done, I know that a light blue color indicates infantry, although these are a dark blue. I've read that the chemical warfare service colors were cobalt blue, is there any chance that these chevrons are for the chemical warfare service?

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Andrew

I've realized that the scans above don't accurately represent the patches' true color, as they appear to be more purplish than blue.

I'd say you have an Infantry 1st Sgt. chevron. The table of colors in Emerson's book "Chevrons", list that as the only branch using blue on chevrons from 1902-1917. The Chemical Corps chevrons were authorized in 1917, but by that time dress blue chevrons like you have were not being used because the dress blue uniform had been discontinued.

The difference in blue shade could just be from age or instability of the dyes used when the stripes were made. They did have some problems with that back then.

All just MHO. Thanks for showing them.