Four Star Admiral Estate Sale

Bob Hudson

Some photos Sharp in-country -

With Walt and Westmoreland at, I believe Khe Sanh:

photo_fatigues1.jpg

photo_fatigues1_back.jpg

I wonder if that's the same sateen shirt I bought?

Here is with again with Westmoreland and other brass at An Khe:

photo_fatigues2.jpg

photo_fatigues2_cu.jpg

Sadly the inscription fell off this plaque. I learned today that some loose brass plates from plaques were sold in a lot during the public part of the sale - bummer to not have this one. Oh well, its a very cool locally-made plaque that even has what appears to Be Vietnamese writing on the back, probably instructions to the maker. The RP unit info on the front is made out of metal and i assume that was locally-made too?

Nice RP photo too to got with with it.

plaque_rp.jpg

plaque_rp_back.jpg

photo_rpcu.jpg

photo_rp_back.jpg

Two plaques from Korean military officials and one from the Royal Thai Navy:

plaque_trip.jpg

plaque_trio_2.jpg

plaque_trio_3.jpg

plaque_trio_4.jpg

plaque_trio_5.jpg

Yep, and he was on his way up. This was after his multiple collisions at sea that were "overlooked". USG Sharp was his "mentor", and they were very, very close. My father in law was one of his department heads when Robinson was a Commander...

Here's the first page of a three page note about his death and other topics:

doc_robinson.jpg

Here's his retirement certificate and a thick notebook of correspondence mostly related to his retirement from US and world military and civilian leaders:

retire2.jpg

retire2a.jpg

retire1.jpg

The first two notes are from LBJ: (these notes are in clear plastic sleeves and I did not take them to do scans so these are quick and dirty photos)

retire3.jpg

retire4.jpg

retire5.jpg

Admiral Sharp's nickname was "Oley" (which you see spelled many ways in documents) -

retire11.jpg

retire12.jpg

But then then SecNav was not so informal as was the US Ambassador to Saigon:

retire10.jpg

Some of these notes are historically quite interesting as they give insights into what were the non-public thoughts of military leaders while the Vietnam war was still on:

retire15.jpg

Westmoreland was not so candid :)

retire16.jpg

Although most of the items in this notebook concern retirement, there are a couple with Nixon that are from later on:

retire18.jpg

retire17.jpg

Throughout this grouping there are some documents of historic interest wherein the military leaders speak their mind to one another as the war continues. I've done full scans of some of these documents that were in the retirement notebook and made PDF's from them so if you're interested in reading them, here they are.

wheelerA.pdf

wheelerB.pdf

robinson.pdf

momyer.pdf

whet.pdf

Bob - What a great and most important grouping of ephemera. :bravo: Congrats on your acquisition. You do score some wonderful memorabilia out there in the Republic of California. Thanks very much for sharing.

Bobgee

Bob - What a great and most important grouping of ephemera. :bravo: Congrats on your acquisition. You do score some wonderful memorabilia out there in the Republic of California. Thanks very much for sharing.

Bobgee

The crowds rushed in last week to get the bling, but the paperwork they left behind tells the story for sure. Myself and the other forum member who were called to buy the remainder of the militaria got to peruse the rather remarkable visitor book from Sharp's tour as CINCPACFLT: it has original signatures from LBJ, Hubert Humphrey, Curtis LeMay, Westmoreland and seemingly every other major US political and military figure from that era. I deferred to him in taking that one home, while I opted for the retirement book which, once i started going through it at home, comes across as even more fascinating because of the thoughts expressed in some of the notes.

On the lighter side.... I was able to get this today - it's quite large:

photo_knight.jpg

photo_knight_2.jpg

photo_knight_3.jpg

Does anyone get more plaques than a Naval officer? This is only portion of what was sold - I'm sure you can find some on ebay right now:

plaque_group.jpg

Some miscellaneous stuff:

I'll have to dig my 16mm projector out of storage to see what's on this reel sent to Adm Sharp by ABC:

misc_film.jpg

I got a lot of administrative documents. This is from one showing his gross pay as a retired four-star admiral in 1968:

docs_pay.jpg

This is a cool folder - it's empty, but you have to love the labels:

docs_warreport.jpg

docs_symposium.jpg

Jeez Bob,

Are you over the chills yet?

...Everything from a fun caricature print, to misc. high-ranking politicians, to GEN Westmoreland, to President Nixon's "...The right course to bring an honorable peace, ASAP", to correspondence mentioning Reagan's "Strategic Defense Initiative"; (and with Nixon, nonetheless).

And seemingly everything in between.

Phenomenal...

They mighta got some bling, but you got the blaze.

This ain't just a group, it is major history.

I look forward to the biography...

Thanks.

Regards,

Don.

A bit of convergence now going on:

Here's the Taiwan (previously Nationalist China) Order of Clouds and Banner, sometimes called The Order of the Resplendent Banner, awarded for contributions to national security. This is the highest grade: 1st Class with Special Grand Cordon:

chinaorder.jpg

National Order of Vietnam, Grand Officer (2nd highest level):

namorder.jpg

I think this one is Braziian:

ukorder.jpg

The forum member who bought those has listed them on ebay: http://collectibles.shop.ebay.com/Militari...=morenewstuff4u

Today I found the citation for one of those awards:

docs_cloudbaner.jpg

We also found a very large framed certificate for that and arranged to have it given to him to go with the medal.

And another forum member has for sale the box for that 7th Marines plaque I got :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ESTATE-ADMIRAL-SHARP-V...y-/320667166146

Let me know if you're interested in any of the empty boxes I have for sale. Take a look at my pics and see if anything is for your plaques. Other than the fore and aft cap, did you find anything else belonging to Admiral Blake?

Let me know if you're interested in any of the empty boxes I have for sale. Take a look at my pics and see if anything is for your plaques. Other than the fore and aft cap, did you find anything else belonging to Admiral Blake?

No, just the hat. I picked up about 50-60 pounds of stuff today (mostly plaques and photos) but there may yet be something else in the documents.

This was the pennant flown while Blake was in command of Amphibious Group 7. Cool that it has the date.

post-5618-1299644980.jpg

I wasn't able to buy much, but am happy with what I was able to get.

Is that a commissioning pennant?