WWII USN women's uniform

willy q

Hi,

I used to work construction, and one of my customers gave me her sister's Navy uniform, supposedly from WWII. The MOS on the rank, I believe is a aviation Mechanic? Did women serve as such in WWII? Is this some kind of reserve/axilliary unit? I know they ferried planes as pilots but worked on them as mechanics ? will post pics. thanks

Thanks

Hi,

I used to work construction, and one of my customers gave me her sister's Navy uniform, supposedly from WWII. The MOS on the rank, I believe is a aviation Mechanic? Did women serve as such in WWII? Is this some kind of reserve/axilliary unit? I know they ferried planes as pilots but worked on them as mechanics ? will post pics. thanks

Thanks

Point of clarification - we (the USN) do not have MOSs. What we do have are ratings or specialties. We wear rating badges on our sleeves. ;)

If you can snap some photos of the uniform, including the tags, it would go a long way for us to help you nail down the information you seek.

Point of clarification - we (the USN) do not have MOSs. What we do have are ratings or specialties. We wear rating badges on our sleeves. ;)

If you can snap some photos of the uniform, including the tags, it would go a long way for us to help you nail down the information you seek.

Thanks, and yes your right, most of my service friends are ex Army or Marines and I guess I picked up a few bad habits! LOL I will post pics sunday. Thanks again

Hi,

Thanks

The Navy did in fact have women as aviation Machinests Mates, Structrual mechanics and most other aviation related rates (except pilots) During WW 2. The maintained State side Air Craft. . The only rates that women Did not serve in were those whose specialties were strictly sea going.

Steve Hesson

The Navy did in fact have women as aviation Machinests Mates, Structrual mechanics and most other aviation related rates (except pilots) During WW 2. The maintained State side Air Craft. . The only rates that women Did not serve in were those whose specialties were strictly sea going.

Steve Hesson

Hi, and thanks. Do you know of any books that show this or pics? I have several books on uniforms which show of course the Navy nurse and lots of books on the Navy but nothing I have even mentions them, most don't even say they flew. As the uniform is not compleate I'd like to see what is missing.Thanks again

Hi, and thanks. Do you know of any books that show this or pics? I have several books on uniforms which show of course the Navy nurse and lots of books on the Navy but nothing I have even mentions them, most don't even say they flew. As the uniform is not compleate I'd like to see what is missing.Thanks again

There were no Female Navy pilots. There werew a few Flight Nurses, but no pilots

Steve Hesson

There were no Female Navy pilots. There werew a few Flight Nurses, but no pilots

Steve Hesson

Thanks, so just the army air corps had them?

Thanks, so just the army air corps had them?

If you are thinking of the WASPs, they were actually civilian contracors, who, I believe also ferreid Naval air craft.

Steve Hesson

Hi, finally got pics of uniform. Had to resize them hope this works. The hat is marked with AMM 2/C which I assume is for second class. also I missed this before but the second class crow is made of all seprate parts not one patch. What Im missing is the blouse,shoes and tie? there is no size on the uniform but I would say its small. I would like to compleat this uniform any help would be appreated.

post-28625-1299558031.jpg

post-28625-1299558058.jpg

post-28625-1299558087.jpg

more pics

From the photos it looks good. Piecing the crow together was not un common. It is for an Aviation Machinests Mate @second Class, as you suspected. Good luck finding original blouse, necker chief and shoes. Those items were still in fashion after the war and continued to be used in civilian life, just worn out.

Steve Hesson

From the photos it looks good. Piecing the crow together was not un common. It is for an Aviation Machinests Mate @second Class, as you suspected. Good luck finding original blouse, necker chief and shoes. Those items were still in fashion after the war and continued to be used in civilian life, just worn out.

Steve Hesson

Do you know if they are reproduced ?

I have all of those items in my collection and could pfotgraph them for you when I can find some time. I know the purse is being reproduced, which is a good way to go as originals are very highly priced. PM and we can discuss this more in depth. I have been collecting WAVES stuff for many years now.

For info,I have a same grouping:

post-5589-0-79440400-1400007425.jpg

The jacket has a label marked" Lois Young"and a Aviation Machinist’s Mate(A.M.M.) patch .
But for your jacket, buttons aren't correct.They must have the navy symbol?
If you want any other info, it exists a great website:http://www.blitzkriegbaby.de/homepage.htm

I have a question: i have grey plastic buttons with the navy symbol. For what uniform are they used?

Notice the buttons on the uniform jacket of this young lady.

KGrHqZlgE1F4lVTZcBNe98wW2i0_3.jpg

I noticed she also is not wearing a white blouse and looks like a regular tie? Would that have been a mans shirt and tie?

willy q

I noticed she also is not wearing a white blouse and looks like a regular tie? Would that have been a mans shirt and tie?

willy q

No, they are WAVES issue. There were 3 different coloured shirts authorized for wear with the uniform - white, reserve blue (which is a light blue) and navy blue. There were 2 different coloured ties - black and reserve blue.

fortworthgal

Early WAVES uniforms often had the plain blue buttons. In the book "Making WAVES" there are dozens of photographs of the plain blue buttons, most dated early-mid 1943.

• 5 months later...

I was always told that post-WW2 "Waves" labels said Woman's Naval Reserve and only WWII items actually said "WAVES" on the label. The cut did not change in the immediate post-wwII period.

Paul