Using Magnification To Aid In Helmet Authentication

Bugme

Do you have a link to where these are sold..,great looking tool!

You can find these on eBay, just do a search for: magnifiers.

Got the exact same one and it's excellent , great pick up

• 4 weeks later...
Burning Hazard

Rick, I just picked up the exact same magnifier from Amazon and it's awesome! You can see micro cracking as clear as day. Only tricky part is taking a photo through that loupe.

Here is an example of my original MP helmet magnified as a model for what to look for

Pat

post-8715-0-05330600-1506206549_thumb.jpg

Ducatimonster1944

Hello

Very interesting thread...

I agree with the high % of age cracking when paint is vintage

I have noticed that is more present and noticeable in white paints. Others does not crack so evident

Here you have the visible age cracking in the white paint but not so noticeable in the red paint on this medical helmet where cracking seems to be caused by the white pain coat t under the red one

Have also a 90th Div with similar evidences.

post-171405-0-19488100-1506420270_thumb.jpg

Burning Hazard

I believe that's because vintage white paint contains lead carbonate which, over time, produces those distinct geometric cracking patterns. When exposed to the elements, lead carbonate oxidizes over time and forms that yellow color you see on old white paint.

Other factors to take into consideration for cracking is that some paints just don't adhere to each other and crack/flake easily afterwards.

Here's a pretty cool WWII pic of a US medic white cracking paint on his helmet, it was already a problem back in those days

post-8715-0-19986400-1506449480_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

Not just helmets..magnified lighted loupes are useful for ALL sorts of things..a solid and wise thing to have in my humble opinion..

• 1 year later...

I wanted to throw out another recommendation for anyone looking for something to view the paint on their helmets. I just picked up a handheld USB microscope called the Carson zPix 300 and so far it has really met my needs. It's a bit on the higher powered side (I think the minimum magnification is based on your monitor size) and won't replace lower magnification tools, but if you want an easy way to get a reasonable closeups of the paint I've found that this does the trick. The camera quality is not bad for the price (about $50 at the time of writing this) but it's really easy to set up and use and it has zoom, focus, and a button for snapping pictures. I've tried using one of the cheaper options (amazon's recommended one) for a USB microscope and it did not work nearly as well. I wouldn't expect to get professional quality pictures out of it, but it makes it really easy to see details in the paint on your monitor.

post-169952-0-78459400-1571199150.jpg

post-169952-0-58673200-1571199155.jpg

post-169952-0-51886200-1571199159.jpg

• 8 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2015 at 5:54 PM, Bugme said:

While carrying a jewelers loupe with you is going to save you a ton of money when purchasing, for a little extra comfort you can check it out with an electronic magnifier when you get home with 500X magnification which couples with your computer! These guys go for less than $50.

Magnification Computer.jpg

JUST ORDERED ONE (500X) OFF EBAY.

Great post..But just throwing this out...Would the paints used today age the same way. In other words would a helmet painted today show the same type aging etc?

On 7/16/2020 at 4:05 AM, rayg said:

Great post..But just throwing this out...Would the paints used today age the same way. In other words would a helmet painted today show the same type aging etc?

Paints in the 60's till today are acrylics or the more modern urethanes. Lacquers and enamels, which were all that was available in WWI, WWII & KW, are much more prone to shrinkage, cracking and crazing. So, to answer your question: No.

• 3 weeks later...
ArchangelDM
On 7/16/2020 at 5:01 PM, Bugme said:

Paints in the 60's till today are acrylics or the more modern urethanes. Lacquers and enamels which were all that was available in WWI, WWII & KW are much more prone to shrinkage, cracking and crazing. So, to answer your question: No.

spot on Scott 

great thread 

Be careful not to overly simplify this. Alkyd enamel paints are still readily available. Oil- based vs water-based test would be only a very basic, front-end, checkoff for me. And I can't imagine anyone who would mix up urethane to do pin striping or any other small job like helmet insignias unless out of pure necessity - hardly the mentality needed to pass muster IMO.

It's similar to those patch guys who ask, "Does it glow?" when non-glowing thread is, in my experience, just as common as glowing thread - even in the average modern fabric store. The obvious glowing monofilament on post-war merrowed-edge patches is easy to see with the naked eye but that is a different topic.

Unless someone is silly enough to fake helmet insignia with latex paint or catalyzed paint that would take decades to attempt to weather and age, I'm thinking the "modern" paints aren't really a threat.

I'm getting one of these microscope thingies!

Dave

7 hours ago, dmar836 said:

Be careful not to overly simplify this. Alkyd enamel paints are still readily available. Oil- based vs water-based test would be only a very basic, front-end, checkoff for me. And I can't imagine anyone who would mix up urethane to do pin striping or any other small job like helmet insignias unless out of pure necessity - hardly the mentality needed to pass muster IMO.

It's similar to those patch guys who ask, "Does it glow?" when non-glowing thread is, in my experience, just as common as glowing thread - even in the average modern fabric store. The obvious glowing monofilament on post-war merrowed-edge patches is easy to see with the naked eye but that is a different topic.

Unless someone is silly enough to fake helmet insignia with latex paint or catalyzed paint that would take decades to attempt to weather and age, I'm thinking the "modern" paints aren't really a threat.

I'm getting one of these microscope thingies!

Dave

Be careful not to speak too soon. While these paints are available, how do you age them to micro-crack them? Heat? Nope that is easily discerned. Chemicals? Nope, that one is easy to pick up too. Then you have to find a way to get a natural patina under your crazed paint, do you know how to do this? Me neither.  Natural aging? Sure, but a faker would have wait 50 years to see this happen and that is hardly a great business model. The point here is that while magnification is not the 100% answer, coupling it with all the other inspection techniques and simple experience can give a collector much more confidence. 

Agreed but there are chemicals for aging and cracking paint. Certainly not the realm of those who would use the modern paints that would "resist" this.

Dave

44 minutes ago, dmar836 said:

Agreed but there are chemicals for aging and cracking paint. Certainly not the realm of those who would use the modern paints that would "resist" this.

Dave

I addressed the chemicals in my first response. Chemicals are easily spotted by most collectors.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

As show season begins with the SOS on the horizon, just want to remind guys to carry one of these handy jewelers loupe with you. You could save yourself from an expensive mistake with one of these. A quick search on eBay found dual 30X/60X lighted loupes, shipping from the US and not China, for $11.95 with free shipping and on Amazon for $10.99 with free next day delivery for Prime members. 

Amazon:

Screenshot_20220212-114126_Amazon Shopping.jpg

eBay:

Screenshot_20220212-114327_eBay.jpg

• 1 month later...

I personally prefer Iwatas airbrush magnifier over a standard loupe. It is small, has 30x and 60x magnification, and has a normal light and a UV light. I’m unsure if I’m allowed to post the link to purchase, but a quick google search should yield some results.

• 1 year later...

Morning folks,  would appreciate an opinion on colour paint used for stenciled lettering on an M1from an WW2 Emergency rescue squadron (3rd ERS was a Pacific based unit). I bought a fairly cheap mismatched set consisting of a FS SB McCord with the mid war steel buckle / J hook. Liner is an early 70's one. The condition of the OD, straps etc. are excellent, no corrosion at all. Which raises a question on Pacific theatre use, especially sea rescue of downed crews. 

The helmet has stenciled letters in a fairly bright orange paint. I have seen 2 other examples of the same shell configuration with same lettering (one at SOS this year / Second on a FB group). Having viewed quite a few white painted sets under high magnification which mostly had the expected cracking, the paint on this shell exhibits zero cracking under high magnification. Simple question > is it a fantasy piece or a case of period correct colored paint not cracking? 

Don't hold back, I bought this one too learn.  

WIN_20240308_08_45_32_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240308_08_44_31_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240308_08_42_53_Pro.jpg

IMG_5350.jpeg

And this is why magnification is only "one" of the aides for authentication. Now comes knowledge of paints. 

So, WWII white is high in lead content, low in pigment binders, so white tends to age check/crack/craze quickly.

Red, orange, yellow were also high in lead, however, they were also high in oxide which acted as a good binder.  This binder kept the paint from checking as quickly or as excessively.

Then, factor in that there were different levels of storage both good and bad. While one can look unchecked because of good storage, another can be highly checked because of excessive heat and/or moisture where it was stored.

I happened to have examined the one at the SOS in Louisville, and that one looked a lot like this one. Is this the one from there?

4 hours ago, Bugme said:

And this is why magnification is only "one" of the aides for authentication. Now comes knowledge of paints. 

So, WWII white is high in lead content, low in pigment binders, so white tends to age check/crack/craze quickly.

Red, orange, yellow were also high in lead, however, they were also high in oxide which acted as a good binder.  This binder kept the paint from checking as quickly or as excessively.

Then, factor in that there were different levels of storage both good and bad. While one can look unchecked because of good storage, another can be highly checked because of excessive heat and/or moisture where it was stored.

I happened to have examined the one at the SOS in Louisville, and that one looked a lot like this one. Is this the one from there?

Hi Steve, thanks for your input, highly appreciated. I found this one on the local Dutch online classifieds. Shell is in a super condition overall, couple of bald spots from storage or display (looks like another helmet was pushed down over it, bales left scuffs). 
Guys brother had it for 35 years  before passing it on and selling.