Mobile Riverrene Force

Has anyone ever seen a Moble Riverine Force Patch (the round ones )

With a 1 11 on either side of crossed cannons?

Like the 4 47 on either side of a spade like the one attached

post-582-1299107962.jpg

Niner Alpha

The 4/47th was a battalion in the 9th Division in Vietnam. The 1/11 was the arty battalion that supported them. The Mobile Riverine Force was a joint operation between the Navy and Army.

Check out this site and you will see the image again....only slightly different in the wording Spearheaders instead of Mekong Delta in the bottom of the circle.

http://www.9thinfantry.bravepages.com/47th...h_infantry.html

Niner Alpha

Some guys that were in the 1/11 come to my site now and again and post. Check out the arty section and post a photo if you want. Maybe somebody will recognize it. www.6thofthe31st.com

• 11 months later...

Hi Bearmon,

The photo that you posted of the Riverine patch has had the 1 & 11 added at a later date as per the different color of the reverse threads . If this was original to the patch the reverse threads would have matched the rest of the lettering and the cannons. Since nobody has seen an original with numbers at this time including myself , I suspect unless a original patch with unit #'s is posted , this unit marked patch combination does not exist. That being said , the patch you posted looks like an original Vietnam war era patch , the numbers could have been added "in country" before the war ended . All of the artillery riverine patches I have seen are plain with no unit numbers. If someone has an original artillery riverine patch with the unit #'s on it , I would love to see it.

Regards, Mitch