Battleground

Justin

You guys are making want to watch Battleground again! I have not seen it in years (decades?). I need to dig it out. I can't remember if I have it on DVD or VHS...

A man I regarded has my grandfather William Frank Horton was with the 101st 327th glider infantry he was in a foxhole on a outer OP when the germans came up to ask for the Americans surrender. He said he did know know about the famous "NUTS" all he knew was the germans attacked his area 2 hours later the guy with him was killed when they ran from the OP he tripped over a root or something. Because he fell he was not killed...... I miss him... marty

the old B&W filming makes it look more authentic, since most WW2 photos are also in B&W

here are a few of my favorite B&W war movies

BATTLEGROUND / European theater

OBJECTIVE BURMA / Pacific theater

THIRTY SECONDS OVER TOKYO / Pacific War

PORK CHOP HILL / Korean War

• 3 months later...

Surprised nobody mentioned the look on Holly's face when they got the airdrop and he opens up a case and it's full of SPAM.

One of my favorite lines when the guy (cook I think) has to go on the line and they give him an M1. He tells another guy he doesn't know how to use it - the last time he was on the range the had the '03 Springfield. The other guy starts, it's a gas operated, clip fed, shoulder weapon...... and the cook says "Hey you ain't sellin' it to me, just tell me how to use it"

Surprised nobody mentioned the look on Holly's face when they got the airdrop and he opens up a case and it's full of SPAM.

One of my favorite lines when the guy (cook I think) has to go on the line and they give him an M1. He tells another guy he doesn't know how to use it - the last time he was on the range the had the '03 Springfield. The other guy starts, it's a gas operated, clip fed, shoulder weapon...... and the cook says "Hey you ain't sellin' it to me, just tell me how to use it"

The one about the rifle is probably one if my favorite lines as well haha

BILL THE PATCH

Last February when I had pneumonia , I was thinking of the scene where the guy goes, maybe I got pneumonia , crack's me up how he wishes he was that sick.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutley one of my all time favs. A classic. Its in my top three. The other two are "Stalag 17" and "Bridge over the River Kwai".

Stalag 17: "Maybe the crud just wanted to steal our wire cutters, ya ever think of that?" Worth watching the whole move for that one line!!!!

Bridge on the River Kwai: "It's getting worse, you know, sometimes I think I'm Admiral Halsey" --- LOVE IT!!

• 4 years later...

Here's the writer, associate producer of the movie Robert Pirosh with the Techs and Extras, all 101 Vets, those in Uniform of course reupped after the war and are serving still in 1949.

Robert Pirosh.jpg

Robert Pirosh, now there's an interesting guy, born in 1910 he's a screen writer for Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer by the mid 30s, penned the Marx Brothers A Night at the Opera and A Day at the Races, The Wizard of Oz. I Married a Witch, among other in the 30s and early 40s. He apparently goes into the Army sometime in late 1943 or early 1944 at the age of 33, apparently as an Infantryman, and apparently without interference from MGM, like trying tying to get him out of it or making him a showmen in the army etc etc, it's possible they tried but Pirosh said NO,  as he is assigned to the 320th Infantry 35th Infantry Division as a replacement in the ETO, sees action for the first time it would seem in Mosel actions in like September 44, then across Germany with a little detour Up North, North to Bastonge, Pirosh as a Sergeant now in December would be on a patrol towards Bastonge and enter it's perimeter at one point along it. He apparently is a Master Sergeant by wars end., ad goes back to Hollywood, and writes a ton of stuff, GO FOR BROKE, Hell is For Heroes, A  Gathering of Eagles, a lot of TV including the Combat TV show.  

• 1 year later...
On 3/1/2011 at 7:04 PM, Justin said:

Very good movie about the 101st in Bostonge, it was made in 1949 and is a black and white film, but its very clear and cleanly shot. The gear, uniform and helmet's look very authentic, I wonder why :w00t:

Helmet lovers you're going to droll over the helmets, I couldn't keep my eyes off them. :lol:

Hands down... THE most authentic film concerning the Second World War ever made. Even the vehicles in some cases cases were at Bastogne.

Hanks and Spielberg can eat their hearts out.😎

TC1c. Dunigan