SOS Find - WWII 106th Division POW Officers Ike Jacket

KASTAUFFER

I found this jacket at the SOS last week . When I saw it, I know I had to buy it. It is named in both the hat and the jacket. The 1st Lt. named in the jacket served with the 423rd Infantry and was captured during the Battle of the Bulge.

When you look at the insignia you can tell it has been on the jacket for almost 70 years. The tell tale green verdigris is under the clutches, ETC ETC.

I would like to know how he earned his 3 Purple Heart awards!

Kurt

MVC_001L.JPG

MVC_002L.JPG

MVC_003L.JPG

Beast sent me a copy of the Army Register showing the vet was retired from the Army in 1946 as a 1st LT. I bet his 3 Purple Hearts and POW experiences had something to do with that,

Kurt

Found his obituary. The uniform was originally bought in Buffalo.

I am X'ing out his name to foil Google searches.

Buffalo News, The (NY) - December 14, 1991

Deceased Name: XXXXXXXXXXXXX, OWNED MACHINE TOOL FIRM

A Memorial Mass for xxxxxxxx, 80, of Williamsville, retired owner of a machine tool company, will be offered at 11 a.m. Monday in St. Gregory the Great Catholic Church, 100 St. Gregory Court, Amherst. Burial is private.

xxxx died Friday (Dec. 13, 1991) in Hospice-Buffalo, Alden, after a six-month illness.

Born in Sioux City, Iowa, he attended the University of Iowa and moved to Buffalo in 1934 as a representative of International Milling Co.

During World War II, he was an infantry officer. He lost his left eye in the Battle of the Bulge and was captured and held prisoner by the Germans until liberated in 1945.

After the war he returned to Buffalo to open and operate Empire Feed and Grain Co.

In 1948, he founded EFCO Industries, a machine tool firm. He sold the company when he retired in 1990.

He was an avid golfer and had been a director of Park Country Club in Amherst and Cherry Hill Club in Ridgeway, Ont.

Surviving are his wife , a stepdaughter, a stepson, and seven grandchildren.

Kurt,

Cool pick-up! I bet your man was a battlefield commission guy who saw earlier combat with another unit, hence the 3 PH's. As you know the 106th and 99th was mainly comprised of former "ASTP" types so a good deal of thier cadre and command structure types were prior combat Veterans. His last name is not all that common so I wonder if he will trace out on the enlistment records? The National Order of Battlefield Commissions website seems to be down so that won't help.

Nice uniform.

Kurt,

Cool pick-up! I bet your man was a battlefield commission guy who saw earlier combat with another unit, hence the 3 PH's. As you know the 106th and 99th was mainly comprised of former "ASTP" types so a good deal of thier cadre and command structure types were prior combat Veterans. His last name is not all that common so I wonder if he will trace out on the enlistment records? The National Order of Battlefield Commissions website seems to be down so that won't help.

Nice uniform.

Thanks Jake!

He was inducted in April 1943 as an enlisted man. Prior combat experience and a battlefield commission would make sense. At the time he was captured he was a 2nd Lt. and was a 1st Lt. when he was retired in 1946 due to his injuries.

I will have to check out that website when it comes back up,

Kurt

Thats a Fantastic Find you have got there ! Well done for sure :thumbsup:

I like it it's Very Nice i also like the Double Oak Leave's on the P.H Ribbon

That is a really nice Officers 1st Lt Ike Jacket belonging to a Veteran from the famous

Battle Of the Bulge what a great Named Piece of History you have got there well done..

wwnuttycollector

Great Group!

I had a cousin that was in the 106th that was killed at the Bulge. He volunteered to leave a field hospital to help fill the line (shot through both legs by a MG34). When their position was overrun, he could not retreat and was shot. I have the letter from his CO, sent after the war to his mother telling of how he was killed.

Wonderful jacket, with great History !

I was wondering, from the two stars on the EAME campaign ribbon, considering the fact he was made POW during the Bulge (which is the first combat experience of the 106th ID if I am correct), could he have earned both of them with the 106th ID or was at least one of them earned with another unit he would have fought with previously ? Sorry for the uneducated question.

Ben

Kurt Barickman

Kurt.

Very nice pickup to an officer to boot! Did the seller know the history when you bought it or did you have rosters of POWs with you and recognize it? Great uniform to an interesting unit with an even more interesting individual. Thanks for sharing.

Kurt

Wonderful jacket, with great History !

I was wondering, from the two stars on the EAME campaign ribbon, considering the fact he was made POW during the Bulge (which is the first combat experience of the 106th ID if I am correct), could he have earned both of them with the 106th ID or was at least one of them earned with another unit he would have fought with previously ? Sorry for the uneducated question.

Ben

One of his individual campaign participation credits might have come from being in a different unit before assignment to the 106th, but the 106th INF DIV is credited with three campaigns in Europe- Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace and Central Europe.

One of his individual campaign participation credits might have come from being in a different unit before assignment to the 106th, but the 106th INF DIV is credited with three campaigns in Europe- Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace and Central Europe.

Thanks for the answer !

Ben

Kurt.

Very nice pickup to an officer to boot! Did the seller know the history when you bought it or did you have rosters of POWs with you and recognize it? Great uniform to an interesting unit with an even more interesting individual. Thanks for sharing.

Kurt

Hi Kurt

I bought this from Roger and he was aware of the owners POW status. I used my I-Phone to look him up on the 106th's website to verify his unit since the unit was not listed on the AAD POW list.

Having an I-phone to do instant research at the show was a plus.

Kurt

Nice jacket Kurt! I'm pretty sure the two campaign stars are for the Rhineland and Ardennes campaigns. Most of the 423rd were credited for both.

Greetings

Carl

• 3 years later...

Love this one! Saved to my "favorite uniforms" folder on my computer! Very nice! I will be adding a few uniforms to this section when Uncle Sam lets me go home. Haha

• 11 months later...