Need help Please

Belleauwood

I have an opportunity to acquire these on a uniform. I think the uniform itself has been "collector modified" but these are 100%. Not sure about the collars. 1908 ? - 1912 ? - Look like Ellis' but the continents are not what I typically associate with Ellis EGA's. What do you guys think? collars marked "solid fire bronze" with the i in "solid" weak to not there.

post-3422-1298933460.jpg

the traditional continents are seperate for North and South America (at least on mine), we're not entirely sure what the Fire Bronze process is, maybe they were made together for it. Or by another firm as the wings don't seem quite like your typical Ellis wings...more like the H&H ones

Beautiful set regardless

teufelhunde.ret
I have an opportunity to acquire these on a uniform. I think the uniform itself has been "collector modified" but these are 100%. Not sure about the collars. 1908 ? - 1912 ? - Look like Ellis' but the continents are not what I typically associate with Ellis EGA's. What do you guys think? collars marked "solid fire bronze" with the i in "solid" weak to not there.

Dennis, your absolutely right in being skeptical on this "set". As the "collector modified" synopsis extends to these EGA's as well. The collar emblems your showing are a 20's pattern, and I've always associated them with the earliest of H&H design (wings, leg's, feet and continent design). What sets these apart is the Fire Bronze hallmark on the back of the eagle, cannot recall having seen it placed there before...?

The correct correct collar emblems to match the "Ellis" cover emblem is as you know are...

post_3422_1224193729.jpg

They have been seen in screwback and pinback, which indicates a pre & post WW1 period of use...

eee.jpg

Nonetheless, these on their own right are hard to come by and pricey. If the price is right, I'd snatch them in a heart-beat!

"sum of the parts deal" for you? s/f Darrell

wasn't uncommon for Marines to miss match their cover from their collar, either, based on preference. We see it all the time in the 30s...with Goonie collars and typical tops. And WWII, with Officers.

usmcaviator

D,

That is a popular hat emblem. In today's market, I'd be willing to sell that one for $650-800. The collar emblems much less, $450-550. That's my "market" value range. Hope you get 'em.

Mike