Unknown patch-ID help

SFC

I believe this is the 617th Special Operations Aviation Detachment, a part of the 160th SOAR (Special Operations Aviation Regiment) I think the unit was redesignated as Company D 160th SOAR in 2010 sometime. This unit participated in the Panama Invasion and provided MH 60 Blackhawks during the Operation.

Leigh...

I believe this is the 617th Special Operations Aviation Detachment, a part of the 160th SOAR (Special Operations Aviation Regiment) I think the unit was redesignated as Company D 160th SOAR in 2010 sometime. This unit participated in the Panama Invasion and provided MH 60 Blackhawks during the Operation.

Leigh...

Neat patch! Now that you mention it, the construction of of the patch reminds me of my Panamanian army patches. Is the reverse of the patch covered in a white felt material?? It could be theater made.

-Ski

post-3043-1298926687.jpg

Might any members have the HISTORY of the 617th ? As I recall it was "wild", with its ancestors bouncing around from QM aerial delivery (maybe CBI in WWII) to a TC Heli Det associated with UNPIK in Korea and in the VN era an Avn Det attached to a Spec Action Force (augmented SF Gp) (not VN, maybe Okinawa?). A friend of mine "discovered" the lineage and sent it to 1st SOCOM/JFK and they went with it.

lamarhooten

Leigh...

You sir, are correct about Operation Just Cause!

Leigh...

Thanks for the ID Leigh.. :thumbsup:

Henrik

• 1 month later...
Thanks all for the additional info much appretiated

Henrik

The 617th SOAD was activated in Panama 1 Oct 1987. It was initially formed around a TDY platoon from the 129th SOAC at Hunter Airfield. The unit size consisted of 65 personnel and 5 MH-60A aircraft. The 617th cut the ties with the 129th on 1 Oct 1988 retaining the aircraft and stood up with its own pilots, maintenace personnel and support personnel. The unit was fully mission capable. The unit was formed at the request of the USSouthCom CG as a result of initiative 17 of the 1986 US Army - USAF agreement. The 617th was the first USA special operations aviation unit stationed outside of the US. Through the summer of 1988 the 617th supported operations within Panama to support theater reaction to Noreiga's indictment in US Courts. The unit was not initially part of the 160th because the 160th was still the 160th Special Operations Group and encompassed just the units at Ft. Campbell KY. Control of the unit resided in HQ USASOC at Ft. Bragg. With the activation of the 160th SOAR, control moved to the regiment and later (1994) the 617th was redesignated D/160th. The 617th did participate in Just Cause assigned to TF Black under the control of SOCSouth. During 1988 and 1989 the 617th conducted numerous training deployments to Honduras, Costa Rica, Venzuela, and Columbia as well as training within the Republic of Panama exercising the US treaty rights which Noreiga was trying to curtail.

• 2 years later...

What you have is a theater made flight suit patch for the 617th Special Operations Aviation Detachment based at Ft. Kobbee Panama. Pilots and crew members wore them on left chest of our flight suits. I served with the 617th from April 1989 to January of 1991.