WWI AGO Cards Information

BigJohn#3RD

Folks, can anyone tell me if the AGO cards for WWI Veterans covers victory medal bars? Do they cover foreign awards or do they just cover the awarding of Purple Heart, Silver Star, DSC, & MOH?

Thanks,

John

The WW1 AGO state record cards will state whether the veteran was wounded and if so, the date(s) and degree or severity of the wound(s). The reverse of the card has a "Remarks" section that usually listed US & foreign decorations received, which existed before the cards were made up in 1921. These include the DSC, DSM, or French Legion of Honor. This section will also list any gallantry citation(s). It was up to the veteran's initiative to apply for the Silver Star &/or Purple Heart medals when they became available in 1932. To my knowledge, issuance of these later medals was not noted on the veteran's state record card.

The AGO cards listed some of the veteran's "engagements" which corresponded to the Victory Medal clasps. Specific defensive sectors were often given. The separately submitted Victory Medal application form finalized his official clasp qualification, which was based on the veteran's discharge paper.

• 4 months later...
BigJohn#3RD

Tom,

Thank you for the information I will put it to good use hopefully.

Regards,

John