CIVIL WAR P1853 ENFIELD MUSKET

cpatrick

I started my career of collecting militaria exclusively with Civil War memorabilia. I had amassed a very large collection, with a special emphasis on arms and equipment, particularly of New York provenance. Because my interest were shifting to other areas of collecting, which at the time was the blooming field of Third Reich items, I decided to sell most of the Civil War items to help fund my new venture. I have always kicked myself in the behind, because I parted with quite a few amazing pieces of history. (Yes, TR is equally amazing, but different) I decided to keep a few pieces that I deemed irreplacable - this musket was one of them.

About a decade or so, maybe more, the estate of well known Civil War soldier, Henry Howell, of Company E, 124th New York Volunteer Infantry, was liquidated. Though I did not attend the sale, a "big name" dealer that I had done busniess with before purchased this weapon from that sale. When he mentioned the provenance behind this gun, I knew that it was an absolute must have. This gun has that "been there" look to it, and this is one of the few historical weapons that I have held in my hands where I can actually feel the history emanate from the metal and wood.

It's a P1853 British Enfield Rifled Musket, dated 1862 on the lock plate. This comes with it's original, and "more rare than the gun" Enfield sling. These slings are almost never found on these muskets. Soldiers often removed them because they would get in the way. Often times, soldier's would make use of them to hang laundry, or some other utilitarian function. Chuck Larocca, the historian of the 124th, confirmed that this regiment was issued Enfield muskets in 1862, having been relieved of their dangerous and faulty Prussian muskets, which were smoothbore .69 Cal.'s.

I believe that during its time of service, this musket had seen at least two different owners. The shoulder of the stock bear's the initials of "KN". These match only one soldier in this regiment of over a 1,000. His name was Noah Bodine Kimbark, who was shot through the chest in the Devils Den, at Gettysburg. (His story is amazing. He laid there on the field for two days, amidst Confederates who did not give up the contested ground until Lee's retreat. He lived, to die another day) I don't know if this was originally his musket or not, but it seems very promising. However, it's important to realize that muskets often changed hands numerous times during its time of service. It was noted by one member of the 124th, when they were hotly engaged in an area called "Katherines Furnace", at Chancellorsville, that the muskets were fired so many times that they became too hot to safely handle. Soldiers would drop their musket, and pick one up from a fallen comrade. One way, or another, this eventually found its way into the hands of Henry Howell.

The 124th New York was raised in Orange County, New York, with Colonel Augustus Van Horne Ellis being their commanding officer. (Killed at Gettysburg) He nicknamed this regiment the "Orange Blossoms", reflecting their Orange County heritage. They were present at the Battle of Fredericksburg, but did not participate. However, that would be the last time that they would sit out a fight. A few months later, the regiment was desperately engaged at the battle of Chancellorsville, fighting Stonewall Jackson's troops in the wilderness. It was at this fight that the regiment lost more than they ever would thereafter. (Over 300 in two hours) One soldier said that though he was unharmed, the soles of his shoes were shot off, and his clothing was pierced by bullets. Another soldier recounted that a bullet hit the brim of his cap, and spun it a full 360 degrees. Another interesting thing about this battle, is that some members claimed that Company A was responsible for the grave wounding of Stonewall Jackson. It is not known if this was true, or if the traditonal story about North Carolinians being responsible is indeed fact. (Confederate reports indicate that a round ball was removed from Jackson. The North Carolinians facing the 124th were armed with M1842 smoothbores)

Shortly thereater, the regiment was on the move again, with the entire Army of the Potomac. This time, they were heading into the North, persuing Lee's Army of Northern Virginia, and his invasion of the North. This campaign ended at Gettysburg, where the regiment was again heavily engaged in the Devils Den. At this battle, opposing some of John Bell Hood's Texans and Arkansas troops, they suffered the loss of their colonel, as well as Major Cromwell - both being killed moments from one another. As the Texans were charging their position, the Rebel Yell piercing their ears, Colonel Ellis instructed regimental bugler, Moses Rathbone(?) to signal the charge. Ellis rose in his stirrups, and yelled, "Up and at them!". He was in the midst of shouting another order when a bullet slammed into his foread. For 2 1/2 hours the contested this ground, yielding grevious losses, before giving ground to the Confederates.

The regiment also saw heavy action during the Battle of the Wilderness, in May, 1864. A week later, during probably one of the most awful battles of the war, at Spotsyvania, the 124th New York, under the command of Brigade Commander Francis Channing Barlow, advanced upon Confederate lines at the dreaded salient, in the pouring rain and thunder. They were in the front line of attack, briefly breaching the Confederate trenches. Fighting became hand to hand. One Confederate remarked that a tree, 20 inches in diameter was cut completely in two by bullets. A Union soldier said that some men were hit so many times by bullets, their bodies fell apart. A Massachusetts soldier recounted that it was, "the most terrible day that I had ever lived". It was at this battle that Howell lost his brother.

Grants "Overland Campaign" caused many in the North to insist that Grant be removed from command - Mary Todd Lincoln herself calling Grant a "Butcher", and implying that she could lead an army just as effectively. From the Wilderness to Cold Harbor, the fighting would not stop for 30 days. 1864 proved to be the bloodiest year of the war, anouncing that the days of McClellan were over, and the war was offically "on". During this month alone, astronomical amounts of men were destroyed. A field surgeon commented that he was amputating limbs non-stop, for two days.

They followed Grant into the trenches of Petersburg, and saw the war to an end at Appomattox Court House, in April, 1865. The war that cost over 600,000 lives, and wounded 1.2 million men, was over. The 124th was listed as one of Fox's top 300 fighting regiments of the war.

Henry Howell:

Age, 20 years. Enlisted, August 9, 1862, at Otisville, to serve three years; mustered in as private, Co. E, September 5, 1862; wounded in action, May 12, 1864, at Spotsylvania Court House, Va.; mustered out, June 8, 1865, at Lincoln Hospital, Washington, D.C.

Pics to follow.............

cpatrick that Enfield is a great piece of history and your summery of the regiment's history was very interesting. Thanks for sharing the history and congratulations on being the care taker/owner of the gun, Ray

CPatrick,

Thanks for posting pictures of your Enfield. These pictures actually answered questions I had regarding Civil War vintage Enfields. I've read where there is an ongoing arguement between CW reenactors as to whether or not the Enfields were blued or were stripped to the bare metal. Another is whether or not Enfields used either by the US or CS had British proofmarks.

I've been noticing more and more reenactors are having their reproduction Enfields "defarbed". I've compared my Euroarms to your original, and I cannot tell the difference between the two.

I've had some nice CW pieces that I'm kicking myself for selling, two items come to mind, a nice Sharps carbine and an original Confederate Engineer Officer's coat button that I found in an antique shop for $2.00. I wish I had those back.

That is one good looking Enfield! thumbsup.gif

Roy, you mentioned the "defarbed", muskets. I too am a CW reenactor, but I believe that these altered weapons are going to cause some big problems within collector circles years down the road. Not everyone is going to pull the barrel off an old musket @ a gunshow to check for markings that have been moved to the underside of the barrel. Also, many of these repro muskets are being so modified that no modern markings will appear anywhere on the weapon.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Hello Lee,

Your bring up an excellent point! thumbsup.gif I deliberately keep the modern markings on my Euroarms repro despite the fact that many of the "hard core, progressive, campaigner, etc" frown on so badly. I do understand that authenticity is extremely important, but I also believe that there has to be a stopping point. In my opinion, it should stop on reproductions by leaving the modern markings alone.

Mostly, I wear my CS and US uniforms for living history programs as part of my job at the Allatoona Pass battlefield. I inform school children and other visitors that everything that I wear and carry are reproductions.

Recently, I've joined a Confederate Engineer Regiment reenacting unit, and the commander had graciously given me some reproduction Confederate engineer buttons for my tunic. Now, if one could just change out the back section and replace it with the original factory style with the name, and just age the face, these buttons would pass off as originals as the type that I've once owned. It is really a scary prospect for Civil War collectors that many of the tinkered with items can later on be passed on as the real deal.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their kind comments.

Roy,

Both, the three band, and two band P1853 Enfield came in two specific finishes. The most commonly seen is the blued barrel, however some times they were treated with a rust compound, and so the muskets were "browned". Whoever would strip their Enfield down to the bare metal obviously hasn't a clue about how these guns originally looked. To strip a gun down to the bare metal would be an attempt to mimic what was referred to as "National Armoury Bright". The M1816, M1822, M1842, M1855, M1861, & M1863 pattern U.S. muskets are good examples of this style, but the British Enfield was not finished in this manner.

Another important fact that I'd like to mention, pertains to the markings on these guns. Due to England's wish to remain "neutral" during the war, no weapons were to be imported with the proof marks of the Empire. This would mean that Enfield bayonets, as well as their muskets, would not be permitted to have the British broad arrow marks on them. In place of the "Enfield" name on the lock plate, this was replaced with "TOWER", the crown, and the date. The other side if the barrel, opposite the lock, should have the repeating numerals of "*25**25*", which, if memory serves me right, this denotes the caliber as .577. (I can get a picture for you if you would like) The stock usually has a small cartouche of the Birmingham Small Arms Trade.

England had imported some 900,000 Enfields to the North, and an untold, but vast quantity to the southern states.

It is believed, however, that a very small number of British Enfields with British proof marks made it into this country, prior to 1861. There is an unlikely possibility that a few may have been issued, but there is no evidence whatsoever to support this. There is an example at the military museum at West Point, NY. But since none of these can be attributed to any Civil War regiments, and just how this extremely small number of British proofed Enfields made it into this country is open to speculation - most do not consider these Civil War issue guns.

Chris

• 11 years later...