Capt. Michael Corleone USMC in The Godfather

Robswashashore

Robswashashore

I'm watching The Godfather tonight and just noticed Michael's ribbon rack on his USMC uniform.

Is it my imagination, or does he have both a PTO AN an EAME ribbon? And campaign stars on both? And is it unusual to have both a Silver Star and an Navy and Marine Corps Medal?

post-12350-1298770153.jpg

Guess he really was a hero...

Looks to me to have a Silver Star, Combat Action Ribbon, Purple Heart, American Defense Service Medal, ETO, and then.............. :o OMG, an Army Good Conduct Medal Ribbon!! :ermm:

I've just looked again with a loop, and you may be correct with the thought of the APCM!?? :think:

Now I'm wondering if instead of the CAR, the middle may be the Navy and Marine Corps Medal Ribbon??.....I need some new eyes!!

Asked to explain where he got those ribbons, the former Marine officer, said, "Uh, they fell off a truck.... yeah, that's it, off a truck."

Looks to me to have a Silver Star, Combat Action Ribbon, Purple Heart, American Defense Service Medal, ETO, and then.............. :o OMG, an Army Good Conduct Medal Ribbon!! :ermm:

I've just looked again with a loop, and you may be correct with the thought of the APCM!?? :think:

Now I'm wondering if instead of the CAR, the middle may be the Navy and Marine Corps Medal Ribbon??.....I need some new eyes!!

SS, NMCM, PH

AP, ETO, Vic

In Godfather 2 he claims (before the US Senate) that he was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross

Trivia....

S/F Bill

Unlikely, but not impossible....remember, there WERE Marines in the OSS in Europe. Anything's possible in Hollywood, right? :rolleyes:

Semper!

Ski

How about the 6th Marines who were in Iceland before moving to the Pacific?

Marines with a Ships Detatchment are also possibilities.

Kurt

Hey Jean...I wouldn't dig too deep if I were you or you'll either end up sleeping with the fishes or with a horse's head in your bed. Capiche?

Ian ;)

Yeah, I guess this would rank up there with Harrison Ford's M1951 Field Jacket in "Force 10 From Navarone", which is set in 1944 :lol:

Like Brig says, just a movie; this stuff doesn't even occur to the average viewer, but they can't get nothin' by us!! :lol:

ever notice the giant flash and explosion of grenades in war movies...they build it up so much you're almost disappointed when you throw your own...almost

shrapneldude
ever notice the giant flash and explosion of grenades in war movies...they build it up so much you're almost disappointed when you throw your own...almost

It may not be a great big firey explosion, but feeling the concussion of the explosion from a hand grenade rattle your innards and thump your chest more than makes up for the visual disappointment itself. :lol:

Unlikely, but not impossible....remember, there WERE Marines in the OSS in Europe. Anything's possible in Hollywood, right? :rolleyes:

Semper!

Ski

Wait a second...you guys are actually suggesting that Hollywood and their vast army of technical advisors don't take the time to get it right? I am flabbergasted to think that they'd portray inaccuracies in uniforms and decorations considering the attention to detail and expended effort they take to get the portrayals correct. ;)

• 1 year later...

Here's another view, that last one sure does look like the Army Good Conduct ribbon.

post-34986-0-80214000-1352404345.jpg

Also it was the Navy Cross he said he was awarded not the DSC at that Washington hearing. but as we see he wears no NC.

vostoktrading

Here's another view, that last one sure does look like the Army Good Conduct ribbon.

post-34986-0-80214000-1352404345.jpg

Also it was the Navy Cross he said he was awarded not the DSC at that Washington hearing. but as we see he wears no NC.

Maybe he earned it after he whacked Sollozzo & Captain McClusky?

post-7885-0-43441200-1352411060.jpg

Here's what I can gather from Godfather fan sites.

Here's the quote from the book:

But when World War II broke out, Michael Corleone volunteered for the Marine Corps.

He enlisted and fought over the Pacific Ocean. He became a Captain and won medals. In 1944 his picture was printed in Life magazine with a photo layout of his deeds.

When Michael Corleone was discharged early in 1945 to recover from a disabling wound, he had no idea that his father had arranged his release. He stayed home for a few weeks, then, without consulting anyone, entered Dartmouth College in Hanover, New Hampshire, and so he left his father's house.

Now here is what I am thinking:

He was in ROTC program of some sort in college when the war broke out in 1941. He gets commissioned a Lieutenant and after training he heads off to Atlantic Ship Detachment sea service for about a year or so. He helps save the life of somebody drowning and earns his Navy and Marine Corp medal.

Without skipping a beat they send him off to the Pacific where he earns his PH and SS in some sort of combat role. Never received the American Campaign as he wasn't in the US long enough earn one.

He clearly has a SS during the wedding and it was later upgraded to a Navy Cross a few years after the war, or he was lying at the Senate Hearing but I believe he was very proud of his service and wouldn't lie about it, although he's lying about everything else at the hearing.

I know this is all made up but it's just fun trying to figure this one out....

Any other input?

Leonardo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...