WWII K Ration Crate and Carton buy from SOS

rambob

I am bumping this topic up because I still want to do the wrapping on my crate. Someone please take a closeup picture of your crate to show me what the paper looks like.

Bob

Jamie, I have already gone that path, but no response back yet. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Bob

Oops, sorry Bob, I now see where you posted that above. I'll do a little more digging on my end and see if I can't assist in finding anything on these crates.

Jamie, Thanks for the offer to help. I just need a good closeup of both sides of the material that was used to wrap the inner cardboard carton before it would be inserted in the crate. It seems to be some type of tar paper.

Bob

Bob,

Please forgive the long delay in getting these pics posted..

The paper wrapping is a thick laminated smooth light brown colored paper very much like the small envelopes that cleaning patches sometimes come packed in, (only thicker).. A black tar based cement is laminated in between the paper layers making a totally waterproof wrap that is then folded around the carton and sealed using the same tar cement.

Hope this helps out with your project

Kration

post-107-0-79636900-1418598184.jpg

Hey Kration!! Could you please post one more picture showing the side of the crate where the tar paper overlaps and measure how much the overlap is. Thanks!!

Bob

Well I used the information that Kration gave me and created my own tar paper wrap for my K ration crate. I wanted to make it look like some soldier had pulled apart the seam on top and carefully opened up the paper to get to the rations without tearing it. Making the wrapping was not an easy chore because you can’t find the kraft paper laminated with tar so I made my own. I went to Office Max and bought a roll of 60lb Kraft paper, then went to the hardware store to buy a quart of roofing adhesive, which is basically a black tar like material. I taped a piece of the kraft paper to the floor, covered it with tar and put a second piece of kraft paper on top and pressed them together until they dried. I completely covered my K ration carton in plastic wrap so it would not get tar on it and wrapped the paper around in like the pictures Kration posted. I tarred the seams so they would stick together. The weird thing was I so carefully made the top seam look perfect and then promptly opened it back up so the carton could be seen inside. The only disappointment with the whole project is I got the tar a little thick at the beginning of the lamination process and the tar seeped a bit through the kraft paper in spots and darkened the paper. If I ever get the inspiration to do this again, I will know better to thin out the tar more. All in all I think it turned out reasonably well.

Bob

post-299-0-63384100-1418845601.jpg

post-299-0-52398700-1418845609.jpg

Thanks everyone for the kind words. This was a very challenging project and could have turned into a "tar"ible mess if I hadn't been really careful. LOL.

Bob

pineviewsurplus

I was all excited reading this thread last week knowing I had something in the warehouse that might haved you the hassle. My schedule got the better of me and I wasn't able to get these photos taken and posted until today. We have several cases of Mickey Mouse boots that have been sealed since the mid 1950's direct from the manufacturer. When I saw the "tar paper" you were looking for it immideately struck a chord. The boot cases are lined with a very similar if not the same material. I thought it might work well for your project but it seems I'm too late, sadly. In the interest of someone else reading this thread at a future date I thought I'd go ahead and share these anyway. I know the date is post WWII but I also know there's a lot of overlap with material specs as well. So if anyone else has a project like this on their radar feel free to let me know.

post-149638-0-62722200-1419371713.jpg

post-149638-0-07249500-1419371741.jpg